Here we go again. AB booking HC cabins.

Umbarger

Well i thought i would chime in on this topic. I have had a scooter for 2 years now. I cannot walk long distances for many health reasons. We just got back from RCL cruise in June and i took my scooter for the first time. We thought it would fit in a regular balcony room. It did not ! I had to leave it out in the hallway everynight or my dh would have to dissasemble the thing to take it inside the tiny room. We had to trip over it literally to get to the bathroom. I said never again !!

We have a cruise booked on HAL in October and one booked on Princess in November. Both are handicapped rooms. I have never been in one so don't even know what to expect.

We were shopping in some port, i think it was st.thomas and some lady walked up to me and said "I hope you know you stick out like a sore thumb on that scooter". I was at a loss for words. All I could think of was, well I cant help it, its the only way I can get around. I will have a better comeback for the next time which im sure there will be a next time.

And yall are so right. Its getting harder and harder to get a HC room unless you book at least 6 months in advance.

Happy sailing to all

oceanfantasys,

I use a scooter and often leave it outside in the corridor where it is out of the way of the linen carts. if you dont need the handicapped toilet, roll in shower or ramp to the balcony-you do not need a handicapped room. They are not for storing scooters

Julia thank you for the heads up. I would not be on this disabled cruise board if I did not have a reason. I don't use a handicapped room for the use of storing my scooter. I have never ever had a hc room as I stated in my earlier post that a regular balcony just did not work out on our last cruise. All the cruises I have been on just have showers even in regular rooms not HC so that was what I needed. I can't lift my legs over a bathtub and from what I seen on HAL thats all the rooms have unless you get a HC room. I also need the raised toilet and bars. I have no strength in my arms. As I stated earlier I have numerous health problems and I know I need the HC room.

I have no problems with people staring at me on a scooter just because they think I look healthy and young. I am on dialysis, I have stage 4 cancer and my heart is weak from my previous chemo. Yes I can walk. I am not totally helpless yet but I am not going to jeapordize what little life I have left to satisfy others who think Im totally well. I plan to live with the best quality of life that i have available to me and if that requires having a HC room to be able to manuever then thats what it shall be. I have 2 more cruises booked for this year because I plan on making memories so that my husband can cherish our times together when I'm gone. We also leave for Disney in 2 weeks and yes I will be taking my scooter.. It is my joy for living.

Sorry If I took your post the wrong way. I guess I am just sensitive.

I did not mean to be offensive-there is another discusion going on about scooters in r0oms vs. corridors and people who just use them for long distances have been under the impression that they need a handicapped room to store a scooter. Enjoy your cruises and my best wishes for your good health!!

Juliab

• 2 weeks later...

I am very curious about the rooms that have higher toilets and grab bars, also showers with a very small step, also close to an elevator. I have had 3 knee surgeries and use a cane, not a wheelchair.

Am going on my first HAL cruise in march on the Oosterdam to Mexico. Would much rather have one of those rooms rather than taking up a handicapped room. I haven't book yet...but am getting ready to. Would like a room with balcony.

Any information would be greatly appricated.

Just discovered these sites and love them. Was on the HAL site inquiring about the grab bars etc. and some kind soul recommended this thread.

Thanks to all of you.

Just the idea that someone whould request a handicapped room for the space is horrible.

I am a full time wheelchair user who had to put in my 2 cents

I understand many people have disabilites that vary. Some can walk, walk a little, not far, or up stairs. Some have issues that are not aparent. I cannot walk, I need my chair to move, be it in the bathroom,hallway,elavator. You have no idea how it is to be stuck,being unable to move be it a curb, furniture in your way, people to lazy to use the 10' wide stairs right behind them from the elevators. I need the bathroom to have bars ( no way to lift yourself onto the toilet or on the chair in the shower), large doorways (imagine if you had to use the can and you could not fit thru the door). So when you think you made out getting a HC room think of someone you left at the dock because you took there room

QuickieGlenn - Very well said!!

How sad that some are so happy to have "scored" a larger HC room just for the larger size.

I travel with my mom who'll be 90 on her next cruise this Nov, and she needs a HC room - she can walk around the cabin somedays with her walker, but others, must use the chair - and there is no way to use anything but a handicapped equipped bathroom with all the grab bars, raised seat and roll-in shower. She loves the balcony, but has trouble on a lot of ships manuvering out and getting back inside. We use a manual wheelchair and a 4wheeled walker with seat.

This is a wonderful thread with great info for disability questions.

Sea you later,

Norma

• 1 month later...

keep up the good work. I spent only 4 months in a wheelchair recently, I have progressed to crutches now, but have gained a deep understanding of the frustrations and limitations of the wheelchair bound. I also encountered the "invisisble disability" argument from someone using the disabled toilet ahead of me. As in I was trying to manouver myself into the toilet and she walked in front of me! She said, when challenged "well, I've has a stroke!". Indeed this is not the point. The point is being able to get the chair in and out of confined spaces!!!!

I feel incredibly humbled by the fact that I was only temporarily disabled, others have to spend the rest of their lives dealing with the world of curbs ,lifts, toilets and an uncaring (in general) public. I also noticed how you become "invisible" , most people do not want to see you much less make eye contact. There are one or two who are a little too sympathetic...(bless them) "oh you poor thing!!!" etc. In all those 4 short months, only 1 stranger struck up a normal chatty conversation with me!

When I booked, even though I was in a chair at the time, I made it clear that I would be able enough for a regular cabin and not to book a HC cabin. (Still fingers crossed for that one as I have another operation in 3 weeks...so I'm hoping all goes well.)

As I said - well done for speaking up.

No it isn't.

But people have such proud fragile egos, that hearing they should do anything differently makes them attack the educator and storm off in a huff. :)

You're right. There is no tactful why to even tell someone they shouldn't park in an HP space. No matte how nice you try to say it, you're gonna get some defensive nasty reaction. 27 years in the chair, and sometimes I don't even bother saying anything anymore because I don't have the time or energy for the confrontation.

I am very curious about the rooms that have higher toilets and grab bars, also showers with a very small step, also close to an elevator. I have had 3 knee surgeries and use a cane, not a wheelchair.

Am going on my first HAL cruise in march on the Oosterdam to Mexico. Would much rather have one of those rooms rather than taking up a handicapped room. I haven't book yet...but am getting ready to. Would like a room with balcony.

Any information would be greatly appricated.

Just discovered these sites and love them. Was on the HAL site inquiring about the grab bars etc. and some kind soul recommended this thread.

Thanks to all of you.

Just the idea that someone whould request a handicapped room for the space is horrible.

If the cruise ship will provide a tub/shower bench for some one in a regular cabin close to the elevators, why couldn't they get some of those suction cup grab bars and a raised toilet seat too? You should ask about that, or go online to a medical supply site and buy some for yourself and have them when you travel.

I'm so glad to see more posters educating AB on HC cabins. I have done so in the past and yes I was flamed but undeterred. I'm the vocal advocate for my husband who uses a wheelchair.

I haven't posted lately due to my own medical problems. Since Oct 2006 I have had 3 major operations, 1 resulted in a tintamium plate with 6 screws in my neck, and countless months of PT. I currently receive monthly pain management and bi-weekly accupuncture treatments. My condition makes it very painful to type and sit for extented periods, however I will continue to monitor these boards and post when able about tolerance and understanding of the needs the the Disabled.

My husband and I cruise this month on Zenith and have "scored" an AFT HC conceirge cabin on Summit to Hawaii for next Oct. We booked our Zenith 06 cruise in June 05 and Summit 07 in April 06 in order to get the cabin we wanted.

Cruising is our vacation of choice and we've met many wonderful people and have made lifelong friends while cruising. We also deal with the rude and uneducated but don't let it detract from our time together and the great memories we share.

Please keep up all the good work because if you reach just one person you've made a difference for the good of all.

Carol

Carol, my daughter had that same surgery and I spent the night in the hospital with her. I know exactly what you went through and I wish you the best. That's a horrible surgery. She still puts a pillow behind her neck in the car in case she is in an auto accident.

There are some people who are going to be selfish, and there is nothing you can do to educate them!

That's very true....:(

My elderly mother has become w/c dependant over the last 2-3 years. She can walk short distances, but cannot walk to the dining room by herself, or up to the pool--I have to wheel her. She loves to relax by the pool on the "sea" days. So, we are generally there 3-4 hours reading and talking.

WHen she has to go to the restroom, I put her in the chair & we go in search of a restroom. Sometime, they are pretty far way, or even on a different deck, which involves waiting on an elevator. So, sometimes a restroom break can take 30-45 minutes.

From reading on the "chair hog" threads, there are some zealots that would like to throw our stuff on the floor and make us find new deck chairs just because we are going to the restroom! :eek: Now, that's a little ridiculous, imho.

Maybe I'll make a card saying "We're not chair hogs! We are taking a bathroom break. Don't take our chairs" and leave them on our chairs.

LOL!!!!!!!

We were lucky enough to get a w/c cabin for our cruise in March. Even though we booked it 11 months in advance, there were only 2-3 left on the whole ship! :eek:

Well, I jumped in there with you.................now I'm looking for my flame retardent suit!!! Isn't it too bad that people just dont THINK about what they are doing, and every one of them buys that business of "well, if they NEED the cabin, they will upgrade us out of it".................sigh..................I probably would have thought that too if it had happened to me before I needed such a cabin.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Oh, I gave them my 2 cents believe me! I am going to get flamed big time. I just don't care anymore......I am getting so sick of these selfish people.

What are the emergency procedures for handicapped passengers. Who is in charge of making sure a handicapped person makes it to the muster stations?

Does anyone know.

Please do not be angry with the non-handicap passengers. They are not being selfish. They are operating under a different set of procedures than what the handicapped passengers function with. They are all being told that they will be moved if the need comes up. I doubt if very many people would stay, "the heck with the handicap, I want a big shower stall." Most people have no idea you guys are having such a sour time at booking your necessary amenities. I for one will never consider booking a handicap cabin because of the grey area (yes move, no don't move) stance of the cruiselines after reading the other thread. I am a more educated cruiser for it.

My understanding is in a real emergency the crew standby on the stairs and will carry down any passengers who can't make it down the stairs on their own. And just like with drills they check each cabin for passengers so those will have help if needed. I can walk but have a bad limp and balance so on the ship my chair is my preferred method of transportation but I'd work my way down the stairs on my butt if I had to although I can do stairs but mind you I have a history of bad falls on stairs.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
My understanding is in a real emergency the crew standby on the stairs and will carry down any passengers who can't make it down the stairs on their own. And just like with drills they check each cabin for passengers so those will have help if needed. I can walk but have a bad limp and balance so on the ship my chair is my preferred method of transportation but I'd work my way down the stairs on my butt if I had to although I can do stairs but mind you I have a history of bad falls on stairs.

Don't the cabin entranceways have a bit of a lip raising from the floor? Is that lip removed for the handicapped cabins?

Archived