help with claim

kitkat343

Hi,

Some of the other people who are on the forums mentioned they filed an insurance claim, so I was wondering if anyone could guide me.  I purchased a private travel insurance plan for my last trip.  One of the ports was cancelled after final payment, as was the morning of another port.  Another passenger on one of the roll calls for may sailing mentioned filing an insurance claim for this specific loss, but I don't know much about travel insurance.  My travel insurance company sent me a claim form but I don't know what to put down for missed expenses since technically there were none - I just wouldn't have chosen the cruise if I'd known NCL was going to cancel these stops after final payment for environmental reasons.  I don't know exactly how to value 

Unused, prepaid non-refundable portions of your trip missed .  Do you just take the total trip cost and divide it by the number of ports?  Or the number of days?  We were still at sea and technically should still have been on vacation, but I have three small children and absolutely did not want additional sea days.  How much compensation should I reasonably ask for?

5 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Hi,

Some of the other people who are on the forums mentioned they filed an insurance claim, so I was wondering if anyone could guide me.  I purchased a private travel insurance plan for my last trip.  One of the ports was cancelled after final payment, as was the morning of another port.  Another passenger on one of the roll calls for may sailing mentioned filing an insurance claim for this specific loss, but I don't know much about travel insurance.  My travel insurance company sent me a claim form but I don't know what to put down for missed expenses since technically there were none - I just wouldn't have chosen the cruise if I'd known NCL was going to cancel these stops after final payment for environmental reasons.  I don't know exactly how to value 

Unused, prepaid non-refundable portions of your trip missed .  Do you just take the total trip cost and divide it by the number of ports?  Or the number of days?  We were still at sea and technically should still have been on vacation, but I have three small children and absolutely did not want additional sea days.  How much compensation should I reasonably ask for?

Do the terms and conditions of your policy include coverage for missed ports?  I think a few do that (or used to, pre-Covid; I'm not sure now).

But most regular travel insurance doesn't cover that, although they may cover lost costs if you pre-paid a non-refundable tour and that port was cancelled.  (Many tour guides will refund if the ship doesn't make it, but one needs to double check that in advance.)

Our policies do not cover what you are describing.  And we've filed quite a few claims, all of them paid with no problems.

BTW, with insurance, it usually isn't "How much compensation should I reasonably ask for?"  There are usually documented costs or coverage amounts that would be paid.

GC

5 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I purchased a private travel insurance plan for my last trip.  One of the ports was cancelled after final payment, as was the morning of another port.  Another passenger on one of the roll calls for may sailing mentioned filing an insurance claim for this specific loss, but I don't know much about travel insurance.  My travel insurance company sent me a claim form but I don't know what to put down for missed expenses since technically there were none . . .

Nationwide cruise specific policies used to offer a specific dollar amount for an itinerary change. The amount varied depending on the policy and if the change was pre or post departure.  I believe all of their current policies only cover missed ports if the change is post departure AND it causes you to miss a pre-paid excursion.  Nationwide was the only company that I have seen that offered any missed port coverage.  But, there may be others.  If your policy does not specifically cover missed ports, you are probably out of luck.  As GeezerCouple said, If you lost money due to a pre-paid excursion then many policies would cover that loss with proper documentation. This is rare, because most tour operators will give you a refund if the ship skips the port.

As @GeezerCouple implied, I bet the numerous port changes due to Covid, made Nationwide (and possibly others) change there policies.

I would read your policy to see if it is worth filing a claim.  Or call the person who sold you the policy and ask them.