Live from the Bliss March 12-26, 2023: Letters Home to Dad

YVRteacher

Oh yes!  There have been quite a few nights where it was so packed I couldn’t get a seat and there was no standing room and there have been nights where I could get a seat (and a Jackhammer!) and I’ve loved both Archie and Stephen.

This is opinion (not fact) but it seems like NCL is hiring great musicians.  I’m curious to see who will be on the Jewel in May.

I had the chance to chat with Archie tonight and he started with Carnival in 2010 then had contracts with Seaborne (did I spell that correctly?) Royal Caribbean and something else.  This is his first contract with NCL.  I asked if he was being treated well and he said oh yes. He really likes his accommodation.  When he ends his set each night people beg him to keep playing. 

• Like 5

I'm so happy to hear that stateroom attendants have buddies so they can still go ashore and take care of personal needs & use wi-fi to get in touch with their families. I've been reading some other threads that talk about how overworked and unhappy they are and it made me feel sad. We've (almost) always had such delightful attendants that I've enjoyed interacting and conversing with them. We'll be on the Bliss in May and knowing this makes me happy.  I have loved all of your reviews - you always make me smile! ("Tasted like disappointment" LOL!)

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 7

Ensenada 

Late last night I decided I was hungry for real food so I went to The Local.  I was seated right away and I waited for a waiter.

I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited some more.

I wrote an email to my dad.  I caught up on Instagram.  I listened to the Latin party in the Atrium.  I subtly stared at the people around me who had successfully procured food.  I may have drooled a little.  I wrote a grocery list.  I looked at the hot dogs, chilli dip, chicken wings, beer and wine on the table next to mine.

Then I waited some more.

Then I got up and left.

So that was my experience at The Local.

Each night when I return to my cabin to go to bed there is a little plate with cookie crumbs and a glass with milk remnants placed outside the cabin next to me.  The gentleman in the cabin must go to the Garden Cafe and get himself some bedtime milk and cookies.  I love this so much it makes me smile.

These two weeks have gone by quickly.  Today is our last port and tomorrow is disembarkation and a travel day.  I have mixed feelings about this cruise ending.  Part of me is ready to leave the Bliss and part of me could stay out on the ocean for months on end.  

• Like 12

You are way too polite.  I would have spoken to the host/hostess and told them that I had been waiting xx minutes and still hadn't had my order taken.  That or try to flag down a server.

Glad you had the delicious cake back in your cabin.

Safe travels home.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I'm so happy to hear that stateroom attendants have buddies so they can still go ashore and take care of personal needs & use wi-fi to get in touch with their families. I've been reading some other threads that talk about how overworked and unhappy they are and it made me feel sad. We've (almost) always had such delightful attendants that I've enjoyed interacting and conversing with them. We'll be on the Bliss in May and knowing this makes me happy.  I have loved all of your reviews - you always make me smile! ("Tasted like disappointment" LOL!)

Hi Niki

Are you going to write a live or a review of the Bliss? I’m interested to know if the challenges I’ve experienced on board are unique to a full-capacity sailing or if they prevail at the start of the Alaska season.  Please go see Archie!

21 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi Niki

Are you going to write a live or a review of the Bliss? I’m interested to know if the challenges I’ve experienced on board are unique to a full-capacity sailing or if they prevail at the start of the Alaska season.  Please go see Archie!

We will definitely see Archie, and a couple of the comedians you mentioned who sound pretty great. Thank you for the recommendations! I think I'd be too distracted (okay, drinking) to do a good job on a live, but I'll do a review when we get back. (I wasn't sure if people would be interested, so I appreciate the encouragement.) It was fun doing a review of our POA cruise last November. I think that the hubs & I will be on the Bliss to Alaska about the same time you are on the Jewel with your dad. Sorry to hear about your sucky experience at the Local. We really enjoyed eating there last time we were aboard.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, YVRteacher said:

Week 2 Day 5

Mazatlan

We have been spoiled with sunshine!  I had been hoping to find someone to walk into Mazatlan with and my trivia partner also wanted to find someone with whom to go ashore since her travel companions felt Mazatlan was too dangerous.  We met at 10:00am in the atrium and the process of getting off the Bliss and taking the little trolley to the port building was swift and easy.  We dodged the taxi drivers and walked the blue line …

I’m glad you enjoyed Mazatlan. We’ve been there twice in the last six months and it has become my favorite Mexican Rivera destination. The Central District is great to wonder. We’ve found beautiful artwork, relaxing plazas, friendly locals, great tamales and fresh corn tortillas.

• Like 2

I’m still writing today’s post but wanted to share this.  After an incredible dinner in Ocean Blue I was sitting in the atrium listening to music and writing.  The woman next to me said “you’re working so hard with all that writing.”  I said these are Vacation Hero cards.  She asked what they were so I told her.  She got up and went to Guest Services and came back with her own pile and we both sat there writing.

• Like 20

5 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I am indeed!

You and dad should join us! That would be a hoot. Prices are darn good right now too…

I’d love to meet you and have a drink with you!  Unfortunately I can’t get the time off (I’m using my allotted vacation days to go on the Jewel in May.)

Hey wait-we both live in Vancouver!  We could meet for a drink off the ship…

• Like 7

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I’d love to meet you and have a drink with you!  Unfortunately I can’t get the time off (I’m using my allotted vacation days to go on the Jewel in May.)

Wait, you get vacation days as a teacher?  Both my husband and I are teachers (in the US) and we CANNOT take time off during the school year to take a vacation. We can only go away during school vacation. I only get two personal days a year. I am so jealous!  That being said two weeks from today I will be waiting to board the Breakaway in NO. 

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Always up for a drink. Anmywhere. Anytime. Lol. I live a few minutes walk from the port in Vancouver, so if you're in the area hit me up!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, YVRteacher said:

Each night when I return to my cabin to go to bed there is a little plate with cookie crumbs and a glass with milk remnants placed outside the cabin next to me.  The gentleman in the cabin must go to the Garden Cafe and get himself some bedtime milk and cookies.  I love this so much it makes me smile.

Was it Santa?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, YVRteacher said:

I never saw cookies on the 2 NCL cruises we have been on. Are they available only during the evenings at Garden Cafe?

• Like 1

There was always a sign in the Garden Cafe saying “cookies available by request.”  They have 4 types:

double chocolate

chocolate chip

oatmeal raisin

macadamia white chocolate

One day at lunch I saw a teenager get two chocolate chip cookies then he went to the hard ice cream station and got a scoop of vanilla and made himself an ice cream sandwich.  Looked so good!

• Like 8

On 3/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, NikiPinkston said:

@YVRteacherThank you so much for doing this "live!" I hope that you're now home safe and sound. You made it so much fun that I didn't miss Dad too much, but don't tell him! Looking forward to your next cruise and I'll report back on the Bliss to Alaska in May.

Thanks Niki!  Yesterday was a smooth travel day and I was back to work today.  I’ve got lots of posts written but need to proofread them before posting.  The last couple days on the ship were very fun and very busy.

• Like 2