Best way to go shopping/lunch on Dutch and French sides of island

Sigyn

My son and I (he's 15) will be in St. Maarten in a month, on a Royal Caribbean ship, and since we'll have two beach days at other ports, we'd like to spend this day shopping on both sides of the island, and having lunch somewhere. What's the best way to do this, and do it safely? There isn't a ship excursion that offers this option. I looked on Viator but all excursions with shopping are long sightseeing excursions. And as a 55-year-old woman, I don't want to hop into a jeep with a stranger for a private tour. That would feel a little risky, since you just never know who you're getting into a vehicle with. I'd like for there to be at least a few other people with us. Perhaps the best option is to simply opt for the Dutch side of the island where we get off the ship and shop and eat there? Not sure. Would love advice. Thanks. 

Edited by njsmom

7 hours ago, njsmom said:

My son and I (he's 15) will be in St. Maarten in a month, on a Royal Caribbean ship, and since we'll have two beach days at other ports, we'd like to spend this day shopping on both sides of the island, and having lunch somewhere. What's the best way to do this, and do it safely? There isn't a ship excursion that offers this option. I looked on Viator but all excursions with shopping are long sightseeing excursions. And as a 55-year-old woman, I don't want to hop into a jeep with a stranger for a private tour. That would feel a little risky, since you just never know who you're getting into a vehicle with. I'd like for there to be at least a few other people with us. Perhaps the best option is to simply opt for the Dutch side of the island where we get off the ship and shop and eat there? Not sure. Would love advice. Thanks. 

Personal opinion only.

Think a young man would be more interested in “ Tax Free Tech Shopping” along Front Street in Philipsburg,  These stores will be happy to exchange messages on availability and pricing for any specific Tech.   Plus, there are many other shops from clothing to bling.  Also a great variety of food outlets and Restaurants. 

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Personal opinion only.

Think a young man would be more interested in “ Tax Free Tech Shopping” along Front Street in Philipsburg,  These stores will be happy to exchange messages on availability and pricing for any specific Tech.   Plus, there are many other shops from clothing to bling.  Also a great variety of food outlets and Restaurants. 

Good to know! He loves "drip" and "bling" and that would suit him just fine. I asked him if he would prefer another beach day or shopping day and he chose the shopping, "if you let me buy stuff, mom."

Can we walk to those stores from the port? 

15 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Good to know! He loves "drip" and "bling" and that would suit him just fine. I asked him if he would prefer another beach day or shopping day and he chose the shopping, "if you let me buy stuff, mom."

Can we walk to those stores from the port? 

Yes, about a 15/20 minute comfortable walk from ship to start of Front Street.  You’ll see the town from ship, so no getting lost or requiring directions.

If had enough of walking there are many Cab/Van Taxis (Sharing) plying their trade down Front Street for a “Back to ship” ride. Prices were $3 pp, but work in $4 max.  Or take the sea shuttle ferry back for $6 pp

Adjacent to the sea is Boardwalk, and Front Street  runs parallel behind the bars, hotels etc of Broadwalk.

Remember.  
After a day of retail on Front Street,  one’s “Plastic” will need serious therapy 😉

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Remember