Search for the Northern Lights on the Viking Venus Review with Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

1 hour ago, LostFan#1 said:

It definitely will be. We were on the Osiris, too. I highly recommend both the Jerusalem and Jordan extensions.

Debbie

We got the last two spots when we booked them both.  They are awesome places I have been to, but Cathy hasn’t. 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, oskidunker said:

Excellent site! A few questions. How was the included wine? Do the have Sommeliers? 

i seeRack of  Lamb only in the specialty restaurant , right?

How was the Lobster? Can you order two entrees? Looks like the night of the Lobster is also Prime Rib.

Whats the best entree on the cruise and what would you avoid?

is Manfredis worth it or would you stay in the dining room?

We did a Viking Ocean in the Caribbean.  One night they did a surf and turf BBQ in the MDR.  The lobsters were not large and I think I had 4 or 5 of them.  I only has 2 or 3 turfs.  I had a bit too much that night.  That was our 1st Viking ocean and we liked it enough to book an aurora cruise for next winter.

DON

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of a recently completed Search for the Northern Lights on the Viking Venus.  I also have the menus from the restaurants, spa and lounges.

The review is located on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  You can also just Google “Mike and Carol’s Cruise Reviews” to find a link to it.  I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning to go on a Viking cruise or to see the Northern Lights.  If you are fortunate enough to have been on a Northern Lights cruise, I hope that it brings back some fond memories.

Below are photos of the Igloo Hotel in Alta Norway and the gorgeous terrain in Norway’s inside passage. 

venus_ip-5897.jpg

venus_ip-5912.jpg

venus_ip-5403.jpg

Thank you for your wonderful review and photos. We are booked on this cruise March 2024 and wondered about your experience in Alta. Our cruise shows tendered in Alta. It sounds like you were docked and was there a Viking shuttle to the main area? I would like to visit the Igloo Hotel via taxi as you reported and trying to figure the timing as the Finnmarkslopet is happening as well. 

6 minutes ago, wcGma said:

Thank you for your wonderful review and photos. We are booked on this cruise March 2024 and wondered about your experience in Alta. Our cruise shows tendered in Alta. It sounds like you were docked and was there a Viking shuttle to the main area? I would like to visit the Igloo Hotel via taxi as you reported and trying to figure the timing as the Finnmarkslopet is happening as well. 

Our itinerary said that we would be

tendered also, but we docked.  If you are the only ship in port, you should dock also.  There wasn’t a shuttle, but taxis were very convenient, especially to go to the Igloo hotel.  It is a must see and so much better than the one in Tromso. 

Enjoy, it is an awesome cruise. 

26 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Our itinerary said that we would be

tendered also, but we docked.  If you are the only ship in port, you should dock also.  There wasn’t a shuttle, but taxis were very convenient, especially to go to the Igloo hotel.  It is a must see and so much better than the one in Tromso. 

Enjoy, it is an awesome cruise. 

Thank you. I have been in contact with Alta taxi.  It sounds that it is quite a walk to Alta Center and with snow ice better to taxi if there’s no bus from ship to central area. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of a recently completed Search for the Northern Lights on the Viking Venus.  I also have the menus from the restaurants, spa and lounges.

The review is located on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  You can also just Google “Mike and Carol’s Cruise Reviews” to find a link to it.  I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning to go on a Viking cruise or to see the Northern Lights.  If you are fortunate enough to have been on a Northern Lights cruise, I hope that it brings back some fond memories.

Below are photos of the Igloo Hotel in Alta Norway and the gorgeous terrain in Norway’s inside passage. 

venus_ip-5897.jpg

venus_ip-5912.jpg

venus_ip-5403.jpg

Just checked out your post on your site. It was fun seeing Paolo (who we watched sing every night) and Mohammed (who was also our attendant). The staff on Viking sure make a difference!

Paulo's last night of his contract was on our trip in June. What a fun last night we had in Torshavn!

Many thanks for starting this thread, and your review. Quick question for now:

Do you think that there would be a benefit to bringing walking sticks and crampons for navigating ice and snow while on excursions?

29 minutes ago, notjaded said:

Many thanks for starting this thread, and your review. Quick question for now:

Do you think that there would be a benefit to bringing walking sticks and crampons for navigating ice and snow while on excursions?

We brought walking sticks and were glad we had them

• Thanks 1

Agree with Mike about the walking sticks. Just remember with spikes (crampons) that you have to be able to remove them and put them on again easily as many shops and other venues forbid entry with spikes. When you're all bundled up in layers it can be a challenge to swap spikes on and off. We were very happy we had them in Tromsø as it was pretty icy. 

• Like 1