Tip the pilot or captain?

krewzin

[quote name='Grumpy1']I would think that an officer worthy of the position would know when to switch to water or soft drinks. I've shared wine with the Captain, poured from the same bottle, unless the steward is very accomplished at slight of hand... Same with a Ship's Engineer, shared wine and shots, poured at the table. I would only be concerned if I saw ALL of the officers in one lounge downing shot after shot:eek: Every position on the ship has a "backup" and once an officer's shift is over he's entitled to relax and enjoy a libation or two if that is his preference.[/QUOTE]
I guess my information was faulty then. I think I got it from that video on NCL's website ... talking about what it's like to work on their ships. They said that certain people were never allowed to drink while serving aboard ship ... because of the criticality of their positions. I'm thinking, though, maybe they're talking only about "hard liquor?"

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='Sunshine91']Rita - Thank you for your post. You said everything so eloquently. John & I firmly believe in tipping the tour guides & mates - the ones who do the work & make our experiences so much more enjoyable. But the one who owns the boat - no. He's making a handsome profit from the excursion fee.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! Let's face it ... if he owns the boat, then he's got money to begin with. Those things ain't cheap!

I think I've mentioned on these boards in the past how I won't tip in my local Dunkin Donuts because the owner and his family are the ones who operate it. I don't think they have any employees other than their own family members. At one time I started to feel bad about this and thought maybe I was just being cheap ... that was until I happened to be walking home one day and spotted a member of this family coming out of a house about a block from me ... a brand new house that is part of a small development of eight semi-custom homes that was just built about a year ago. Those homes sold for about $450,000. My home is maybe worth about $150,000? (Remember, this is in the City of Philadelphia ... not the outlying suburban regions where homes go for a heck of a lot more.)

Believe me, they don't need my tips if they can afford to live there. I would have loved to buy one of those homes when they came on the market. You don't normally find large single homes in the city. But when I got wind of what they were asking for them, I knew it was beyond my means. But, obviously not their's. And, that's why I won't tip in the Dunkin Donuts. Frankly, I'm thinking about asking them to tip me. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']Absolutely! Let's face it ... if he owns the boat, then he's got money to begin with. Those things ain't cheap![/quote]

Actually, the bank probably owns it. Small business people (the guy who owns that tour company, the barber/beutician with their own shop, the mom & pop grocery, the stand-alone restaurant, etc.) are among the worst paid (in terms of $$/hour) people in the US. Maintenance, upkeep, taxes, payments to workers, etc. go on day-in and day-out no matter if the weather's good or bad or if there's a ship in port or not.

And, not to be critical or anything, but shouldn't a tip be based on the service provided rather than the perceived need of the individual (which is better defined as charity...)?

[quote name='dakrewser'].................
And, not to be critical or anything, but shouldn't a tip be based on the service provided rather than the perceived need of the individual (which is better defined as charity...)?[/quote]

Absolutely yes!!! I agree:) . That has always been my understanding.

[quote name='dakrewser']Actually, the bank probably owns it. Small business people (the guy who owns that tour company, the barber/beutician with their own shop, the mom & pop grocery, the stand-alone restaurant, etc.) are among the worst paid (in terms of $$/hour) people in the US. Maintenance, upkeep, taxes, payments to workers, etc. go on day-in and day-out no matter if the weather's good or bad or if there's a ship in port or not.

And, not to be critical or anything, but shouldn't a tip be based on the service provided rather than the perceived need of the individual (which is better defined as charity...)?[/QUOTE]

I think the thought process for not tipping a business owner is that at the end of the day the profits are theirs to keep, minus taxes of course. An employee may make a set hourly rate, and a tip is a way to help suplement this income. This is the case with a beauty shop, where employees are tipped and the owner is not. Of course many HAL cruisers on this board are very generous, so I am sure they tip owners as well as employees.

Agree with 'Grumpy1' - we've dined at the Captains table and frequently been at an 'Officer Table' - Chief Engineer, Navigator etc. etc. We're trying to recall if, when at the Doctor's table, he joined us in dinner drinks. I somehow don't think so because technically he's on duty 24/7. On that particular cruise, poor fellow, he had few undisturbed dinners. His wife, a most gracious lady, always ordered a 'when required' room service meal for him.

On land I guess it's different. Always recall a private function we attended - a lady from our table slipped and fell, cutting her head. I recognized a Doctor in the party and asked for her assistance - she came and looked at the 'patient' but asked that a Doctor be called because she had had a couple of drinks. Maybe it's different on board ship. It seems hardly possible that, other that the 'ship's Doctor', there are no other Doctors on board......whether or not they step forward is another question ......there's the 'I could be sued' issue. :eek:

Archived