Tip the pilot or captain?

krewzin

Curious as to what peoples thoughts are on this one. If you take a tour...a helicopter glacier tour, or a Misty Fjords float plane tour...do you tip the pilot?

What about a whale watching tour or going fishing...do you tip the captain?

*my bad...meant to post this in the Alaska forum...I'll repost over there but am still interested in the responses!

If you've enjoyed your excursion, I most definitely would. We did so quite a bit on our Baltic cruise, we had several knowledgeable and engaging tour guides and almost everyone in our group tipped. The guides really appreciated it as well, one woman had tears in her eyes when we thanked her for an excellent tour - made me realize how much we take for granted... :)

Frankly this would not have occured to me. I would not have in the past.

BUT, when I've gone on a charter tuna fishing out of Hatteras we always tipped the Capt. & 1st Mate.

I'm curious to see the responses.

Totally up to the individual. Never thought about that one so never have done it. I've heard about sport fishing boat captains and/or mates in Mexico being tipped for a good time/catch. Thanks for bringing it up!:)

I always tip as well. Especially if someone has gone above and beyond to make sure that your trip was everything and more.

Tipping says that you appreciate the effort, the attitude, and the service.

When I fish with a guide, I usually tip 20% of the fee. They usually respond by saying, "It isn't necessary, but greatly appreciated"!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand; I just wanted to comment on Copper's erudtion:) He is one police officer with the gift of gab, in many languages! Copper, I don't know much latin, but my 16-year-old daughter, the smarty pants, has translated it for me, and is in the process of formulating an appropriate latin response for you. :)

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand; I just wanted to comment on Copper's erudtion:) He is one police officer with the gift of gab, in many languages! Copper, I don't know much latin, but my 16-year-old daughter, the smarty pants, has translated it for me, and is in the process of formulating an appropriate latin response for you. :)

Hi Mom; thanks for that but I don't know any Latin either, just having some fun! Tell your daughter all the best with her continued education:) ! Check this out: http://www.eifuku.co.uk/useful_latin_phrases.htm

H'bout the airline pilot (captain) that get's you to your cruise embarkation port safely as he/she stands by the cockpit door ;)

If the pilot had done more than was "standard" for the job, a tip would be in order. But the "pilot" the OP mentioned is really more of a tour guide who also drives the conveyance - and you always tip your tour guide, don't you?

-dave

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur. :rolleyes:

If the pilot had done more than was "standard" for the job, a tip would be in order. But the "pilot" the OP mentioned is really more of a tour guide who also drives the conveyance - and you always tip your tour guide, don't you?

-dave

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do Dave:) And, btw, the earlier post was purely in jest! Now, we've been on planes where the pax still applaud the captain or F/O for landing the plane in one piece!;)

Vidistine nuper imagines moventes bonas?

Yes, we do. The amount varies with degree of service rendered.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

:D :D Jim, is that last sentence directed to the OP?;) ;)

Vale, lacerte!

Geez, if my Dad were still alive he'd LOVE you guys, lol!!! He tried to teach us Latin when we were young... not much took, unfortunately - but I can follow Catholic Mass when the priest speaks Latin... :)

Geez, if my Dad were still alive he'd LOVE you guys, lol!!! He tried to teach us Latin when we were young... not much took, unfortunately - but I can follow Catholic Mass when the priest speaks Latin... :)

But what about that small section that's in Greek? :rolleyes:

στην υγειά σου! :)

-dave

H'bout the airline pilot (captain) that get's you to your cruise embarkation port safely as he/she stands by the cockpit door ;)
Hmmm, always wondeded why they made it a point of standing there.... and here I thought a compliment on the flight and landing was all that was required.... I'm soooooooooo... MORTIFIED!:eek:

I've been on 4 helicopter tours and 2 fixed wing single engine tours. I've always tipped the pilot, usually $20 for the two of us. I've also gone sport fishing and have tipped the captain.

Archived