Harrison Cave Still Open?

jcjbloca

r u serious?? arghh--im planning to go there in Sept Where did you hear that..

I dont see anything of that fact anywhere on theboards

Serene,

I've been communicating with Bajan Keith and sunniebg on the "Hero's Day" thread. Sunnie says that Harrison's was supposed to close in June last year for renovations, but they haven't yet. At this point it seems they're taking it one week at a time. As we're five weeks away from being on Barbados, this is something I've been interested in also. I'll try to let you know on the Destiny thread if I hear anything.

Hi Everyone!

I just got back from my 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. We did Harrison Caves and they are no where near closing for renovations. It was a wonderful tour but wear a jacket and hat. The water drips from the ceiling and catches you off guard. We didn't get soaked but it can be annoying. We knew something was up when the tour people put on shower caps.

I finally found out the answer to Barbados best kept secret!!! The taxi ride is $60 from the port to Harrison Caves and the Boatyard. The taxi will wait for you and take you to the Boatyard but it is $3 pp to go back to the ship. This seems steep but considering the price of the excursion onboard it was worth it. The price per adult at Harrison Caves is $16 US and about $9 US for the kids.

The Boatyard was beautiful too but not as set up for kids as we thought. The water was quite rough and the kids couldn't get out to the water trampolines or rock climbing iceburg. You get a free drink there but no coupons for food, as we were told. The prices can be expensive to eat there. They do give you beach chairs and umbrellas are $2 for the day. There is no shade there on the beach.

Enjoy your visit. Barbados was beautiful.

Re Harrisons Cave,

The may not look ready to renovate, but trust me.. I'm sure when they finally close it will be at a moments notice. Also, they used to make you wear hardhats to go into the caves, but I understand recently they have stopped making people do that. and you are right.. it's not a rain shower, but it can be annoying.

Re the Boatyard not for kids as the water was rough.. This is not normal.. Carlisle Bay beaches are usually very calm and water shallow. We would have been experiencing some wind coming from the south to really have rough seas at the Boatyard. And thats interesting about the coupon only for drink.. we have been there when they have given us tokens and we eat at the restaurant and had drinks and paid with those tokens for both.

Re Harrisons Cave,

Re the Boatyard not for kids as the water was rough.. This is not normal.. Carlisle Bay beaches are usually very calm and water shallow. We would have been experiencing some wind coming from the south to really have rough seas at the Boatyard. And thats interesting about the coupon only for drink.. we have been there when they have given us tokens and we eat at the restaurant and had drinks and paid with those tokens for both.

Hmm, I had a feeling that they weren't being honest. I had contacted the people at the Boatyard and they quoted me a price for adults $12 and children $8 and that we would receive $8 in coupons. When we arrived there the price was $12 for each of us and no coupons. I asked "the manager" and he said they stopped giving out coupons a year ago and that the price was set. I had a feeling that this was incorrect. We also did not get to use any of the water equipment which we were told would be available.

All in all we had a good time and my son had a blast making sandcastles. It is unfortunate to think that we were taken advantage of.

We were thinking of taking a taxi from the pier to Harrison's cave, see the cave and hail a taxi back to town. Are US$ accepted by the taxis and admission to the cave? About how much would the one way taxi ride cost? We would just like to get an idea what to expect. Thanks for any help.

Archived