Suite Comparison?

rmh1955

Any of you multiple cruise line travlers out there. How about a compaison of the suites between cruilse lines? To be included:

(1)How big are the suites?

(2)Difference between the suites: Junior vs. Penthouse, etc.(in the case of HAL, Superior vs Deluxe)?

(3)What amenities do you get with the suite (and at what level, i.e. no amenities with a Superior)?

(4)If you have been in multiple cruise line suites, which in your opinion offer the best value?

We had a Royal Suite on the Mercury - it had a wonderful 537 sq ft for the cabin (including a separate bedroom, living room, dining area, marble bathroom), a butler, and a 94 sq ft balcony. We were in an Owner's Suite on our first and last cruise on the NCL's Wind - it was small, at 271 sq ft (I think) and a 65 sq ft balcony. We're booked in 5187 on the Oosterdam in April and excited to see what that cabin is like.

Had one of the 'suites' on MSC Opera up on Deck 12 (where an Observation Lounge ought to be)

Smaller than the R & S Class Mini-Suites on HAL - & without a jacuzzi tub!

Closet is nicer tho - walk-in, with plenty of drawers.

Hard Beds.

Small TV.

Hard Sofa.

Bumpy Ride in moderate seas

No Perks

Lots of noise on the roof from the Observation Deck - joggers and sunlounges...

Much prefer the accomodations on HAL.

;)

We had the Royal Suite on Celebrity's Century. The cabin was bigger and the balcony was smaller than HAL. It was divided into two rooms unlike HAL which is one. I much prefer HAL. It just seems more inviting and comfortable. And, I had no use for the butler. He only showed up on tip day.

We had a Royal Suite on the Galaxy in March 2004 and then a Deluxe Verandah Suite on the Volendam just this past month. We like things about both of them. I'm an early riser and certainly liked the idea that I could go into the living room in the Royal Suite, shut the doors to the bedroom, and not disturb my wife. Secondly, the marble bathroom, with a very nice separate shower, in the Royal Suite was super. On the other hand, the Deluxe Verandah Suite verandah on the Volendam is an incredible 190 square feet (19 feet wide by 10 feet deep) and we spent more time on this verandah than any previous cruise. (The RS verandah was long and kind of skinny so not nearly as useable...at least for us.) My wife also liked the vanity area in the Deluxe....kind of part of a dressing area between the bedroom and the bathroom....better than the one in the Royal Suite which was stuffed at the end of a "walk-in closet". HAL also wins hands down on the bed....the new linens and mattress on the Volendam were absolutely great. The one on the Galaxy had seen better days and certainly wasn't a pillow top. Last thing.....Celebrity can keep the butler.....ours on the Galaxy was not of much use. We got a great deal on our RS on the Galaxy and certainly, for the money, it was fantastic but feel the same way about the Deluxe on the Volendam. Like I said, they each have their pluses and minuses. Also have had a Superior on the Oosterdam. A very nice cabin but I object a bit to HAL calling it a suite.....it's a big cabin without suite amenities.

On HAL ships, we have stayed in either Deluxe Verandah Suites or Penthouse Suites. On RCL (never will use this line again), we have stayed in the Owner's suite or the penthouse. On Seabourn, we have booked the owner's suite. On Princess, we have cruised in comparable owner's suite. The bottom line, in my opinion, is that you get what you pay for. The HAL Penthouses and Deluxe verandah suites are some of the largest in the cruise industry and offer MORE amenities or perks than Princess or RCL for comparable acommodations. We long ago discovered that we could survive without a butler. A good cabin steward and an available conciere (Neptune lounge -- HAL) more than compensates for no butler service. Although we have not sailed on Celebrity ships, when we did have a butler, we felt that some of his services could also be provided by the cabin stewart. In my opinion, the best personalized service is offered on the Seabourne ships.

We had a Royal Suite on the Mercury - it had a wonderful 537 sq ft for the cabin (including a separate bedroom, living room, dining area, marble bathroom), a butler, and a 94 sq ft balcony. We were in an Owner's Suite on our first and last cruise on the NCL's Wind - it was small, at 271 sq ft (I think) and a 65 sq ft balcony. We're booked in 5187 on the Oosterdam in April and excited to see what that cabin is like.

Jules, you will love the balcony in 5187 but you will definitely not have 537 sq ft it is much smaller but still very nice.

Laffnvegas, We're really looking forward to 5187 - I've read so much about it. Typically, when in the cabin we're outside on the balcony and this balcony sounds/looks (I've seen the pics) fabulous. We just booked this cruise early Feb, after a snafu with Princess (we were booked on the Sapphire). Our cruise is 4-15-06 - we originally had 4185 and last week 5187 opened up so I moved cabins.

Laffnvegas, We're really looking forward to 5187 - I've read so much about it. Typically, when in the cabin we're outside on the balcony and this balcony sounds/looks (I've seen the pics) fabulous. We just booked this cruise early Feb, after a snafu with Princess (we were booked on the Sapphire). Our cruise is 4-15-06 - we originally had 4185 and last week 5187 opened up so I moved cabins.

Good for you, 4185 is nice but 5187 is the best. I got bets you will love the balcony and the weathr should be wonderful.

Archived