Telephoto lens needed for Mediterranean cruise?

Lalof

We are planning a Mediterranean cruise.   When we cruised Alaska last summer, we rented a good telephoto lens because we new we would likely need it for animal sightings and possibly while cruising Glacier Bay.  In thinking about the Mediterranean cruise, it seems like we wouldn't really need the telephoto lens as much since we will be closer to the sights, such as Pompeii, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, etc.  Are we thinking correctly, or will a telephoto lens be of value?  I'm just wanting to not carry around that huge lens if I don't need it much. 

Thanks

Lalof,

interesting question esp as wife and I going to Rome (central Med) 2023 and Athens (Eastern Med)  2024. I always carry a DSLR, 24-70 zoom and 70-200 zoom both 2.8.  

The places you have mentioned you could probably just use a 24-70 zoom and travel light. 

We went pre pandemic to Southern Spain,  Gibraltar and photographed some dolphins from a RIB with my 70-200 F2.8 zoom see attached image. I will take my 70-200 zoom to the Med on both sailings whether I use it is debatable? When we walk around Rome I  will just have the DSLR and 24-70 zoom as walking quite a bit, leaving the photo rucksack on board the cruise liner. 

I certainly would not be take a +300mm superzoom etc. 

BW

Derek. 

5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even at the sites you mention I found a telephoto lens (400 mm) useful. The telephoto gives you the option of closeups.  I tend to use a 16-400 zoom.  Here is an example from Florence.

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.3cf08135504d9ba2cfdbb943e15938a3.JPGIMG_0813.thumb.JPG.582a928db0a8b1c886f8ee6f02dff04c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:33 PM, mskaufman said:

Even at the sites you mention I found a telephoto lens (400 mm) useful. The telephoto gives you the option of closeups.  I tend to use a 16-400 zoom.  Here is an example from Florence.

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.3cf08135504d9ba2cfdbb943e15938a3.JPGIMG_0813.thumb.JPG.582a928db0a8b1c886f8ee6f02dff04c.JPG

Excellent points you have made.  The picture from a distance is beautiful, but to be able to get the close up of the figures is the cherry on top!  

• Like 1