Welcome to Tightwad Cruising-What do you do Part 2 … after Shutdowns ..

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Could you use the (free) internet in bars, coffee shops, etc. during island stops instead of paying for it onboard?

Technically, of course, and we've done that a time or two.  But we have family matters back home now, so must be able to communicate 24/7.

And the last thing we want to do in port is skulk around a dirty town on a search for internet which we may, or may not, find.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It's a little cruise game:  ... and a handful of grinches on this board are rabidly against this little pass time. 

Sounds harmless and fun for those who want to participate.  Uppity delicate doilies who "tsk tsk" at it ... what can I say?  SMH.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Agree ... at home: 

- I have a system for keeping groceries down, though nothing will bring the total to pre-pandemic prices right now. 

- Being retired (well, I substitute teach 3 days a week), we don't buy a lot of clothing, and most of what we do buy is second-hand.  We do this for environmental reasons as well as the financial bottom  line. 

- We are a one-car family, which makes a whale of a lot of difference in our finances.  

Agree ... for cruises: 

- We are fall cruisers.  We like the weather, the smaller crowds, and the lower prices.  

- We take advantage of Next-Cruise credits, and VISA OBC.  

- We stick to Royal Caribbean -- not because we think it's better than other lines, but because by sticking to one company, we are working our way up the loyalty points ladder.  

- We always sailed in larger cabins (or multiple cabins) when our children were at home, but we tried an Inside Guarantee and were 100% happy -- when it's just the two of us.   

- We keep an eye on our prices and would call in for a price match, if such things still happened.  Super low prices do still come around:  last December we sailed a 3-night on Indy for $99 each.  Our next cruise -- soon! -- cost us $364/person. 

- We skip most of the extras -- we're happy with standard food, no spa, private shore excursions.  We buy a few drinks, and our OBC covers most of that.  

- We choose a port to which we can drive; of course, that's not an option available to everyone, but it's cheaper than flying -- especially when you add in ground transportation. 

- We usually go out of Port Canaveral, and we stay at Days Inn in Titusville (about 30 minutes away from the port), which is clean and basic -- and usually less than $100/night, which includes breakfast.  

- We don't buy a lot in anticipation of the cruise.  We have clothes a-plenty and aren't trying to impress anyone.  

- We bring plenty of sunscreen, OTC meds, etc.  Those things cost a fortune onboard.  We have a tried-and-true packing template that assures we don't forget socks or something equally silly.  

Would you share what your packing list is like? I like your ideas of preparing for your next adventure.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:09 AM, KKB said:

Oh, I got LED tea lights & towel clips at the Dollar Tree!!!

And I do have a multi-outlet adapter--dual duty for Europe & cruises where there are never enough outlets on those older ships for 2 people!

As for everything else--we have stayed in a 130 sq. ft. interior to a suite.

NEVER had an issue w/ storage, so no hooks, magnets or over door shoe things needed.

(and we are VERY tidy/organized people).

I don't need decor or ducks.

There is a clock on my phone.

Cruise provides mattress toppers & lanyards (unless it's a card then it slips in my pocket or bag)

Now, I traveled solo to Europe for a month in May, including 3 weeks on a ship. 

Carry on only (plus backpack) as I had 2 quick train switches on front & back end in Europe.

I did buy a few things to facilitate that--compression packing cubes, a lightweight but well-made carryon, a well organized backpack (I had been a tote girl...now a backpack convert), theft-proof crossbody bag,

lip gloss-type "tubes" to decant liquid toiletries into, merino wool clothing that deters odors. 

BUT all of these things will serve me well as travel has now amped up now that we are both retired.

I have used them all again & will continue to do so. 

I consider all of these things INVESTMENTS.

KBB thanks for sharing this

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, trinaM said:

Would you share what your packing list is like? I like your ideas of preparing for your next adventure.

Sure ... this may be lengthy: 

Bag 1:  Night-before bag -- because we drive to the port, we pack one tote bag (shared between us).  It includes night clothes, the outfits we want to wear for boarding the next day, and our toiletries.  This is the ONLY bag we bring into the hotel room, and it stays in the car while we cruise.  In the hotel parking lot we transfer our toiletries over to the Onboard Bag.  

We also pack a small cooler for the hotel, which includes a couple drinks and a charcuterie board.  We always include cold boiled shrimp, but we might also have cheese, crackers, olives, deli meats, a Pluot.  And we always end with a fancy chocolate bar to share.  We spread a towel over the bed and enjoy this light munchie dinner -- after an all-day drive, this lazy dinner is a favorite tradition of ours.  Again, the cooler stays in the car while we cruise.  

Bag 2:  Onboard Bag -- For a one-week cruise we typically share a single medium bag, but for a longer trip we might each bring a rolling carry-on.  This list's for a 7-day trip and includes what we wear on boarding day.  

For me:  3 dinner dresses, 2 tee-shirt dresses, 2 pairs shorts + 4 tops, 2 swimsuits /cover ups, small clothes, gym outfit, nightgown, white Keds or Vans, walking sandals, dinner shoes, Hair items + a hat, toiletries (includes ample sunscreen).  

For him:  1 pair nice jeans, 3 dinner shirts, 3 pairs shorts + 5 tees, 2 swim trunks + matching tees, PJ pants, small clothes + socks, tennis shoes, canvas boat shoes, hat, fully charged razor.  His clothes are significantly larger than mine, especially his shoes -- he's harder to pack. 

Shared items:  A couple metal hooks for the walls, a small manila envelope which contains our door decorations, electronic cords, a small fan.    

Notes on how this works: 

- We assume all dinner clothes will be worn twice -- no one pays any attention anyway.  We hang things that "still have wear in them" and let them air out.  We typically do 5 evenings in the MDR and 2 in the Windjammer, so this is PLENTY of dinner clothes.  

- I am never cold, so I don't bother with a wrap or sweater.  Your mileage may vary. 

- This is just a starting place.  In reality, we always add or subtract based upon the length of the cruise and the specific plans we have (for example, on our next cruise I'm doing a kitchen tour, which requires long pants -- not something I typically bring).  

Bag 3:  Carry-ons:  We each wear a back pack (Team hands-free!), containing documents, money, electronics (mainly my Kindle), jewelry, medicines ... I pack my money into a small wristlet, which I then use for a dinner purse.  I have a small pool bag (about the size of a 6-pack), which I cram down into the bottom of my backpack ... I could do without this pool bag, but I really enjoy having it.  I always make sure to have one small bottle of sunscreen in my backpack.  We also include wine and sodas in these packs.  These back-packs double as island bags. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1