Hôtel in Athens after flight lands and before cruise in Pireus.

Polos12

Our arrival ETA in Athens airport is late at night (summer 2023) and need a hotel for group of family of 3 adults, for 2 nights before cruise, and a night after cruise; need guidance on;

1. Hotel recommendations (4/5*): should we stay at Sofitel right at airport, or close Athens center, if that is doable and safe to reach round midnight (if flight lands on time); Sofitel site not letting book 3 guests in one room, unlike USA hotels…and neither do most downtown Athens hotels. …..the site makes us book 2 rooms…?  Even if we book Sofitel and use their restaurants for meals, the day of our cruise, we like to b3 close to Piraeus port hotels…or at least in Athens on green metro line.

any thoughts are appreciated…hotel recommendations and location close to transport, safe and restaurants…need only for a day 

2. If we are in Athens downtown, how do we get to Piraeus port; taxi or metro..( we just have cabin with us) I realized Cruise terminals could be far from train/metro link….how do we get to cruise terminal from train if we do indeed take it…as per reviewing the terminal maps from E1-E11

3. how do we know on what terminal ( there are 3) Norwegian JAde docks for Greek isle. I could not find in NCL confirmation email. 
 Please advise. Thanks in advance and feel free to DM!!

• 2 weeks later...

We thinking staying close to Athens city center (pre and post) and use taxi service. Deciding between Wyndham (bit farther), Divani, Hyatt, Intercontinental and wthether to book from Hotel site or Expedia? 

I've stayed at the Athens Gate Hotel. Very nice hotel with a nice restaurant on the roof that has a view of the Acropolis. Across the street is the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Plaka (great food & shopping) is a few short blocks away. The Acropolis Museum is also only a few minutes walking. If memory serves me correctly it's about a 15-20 minute ride to/from the port and maybe a 1/2 hour or so to the airport. It's been a few years since I stayed but it was a perfect location and the hotel was very nice. We used a transfer service to/from port/airport and for a tour. Highly recommend.

Edited by goncruzn

On 3/16/2023 at 6:05 PM, Polos12 said:

We thinking staying close to Athens city center (pre and post) and use taxi service. Deciding between Wyndham (bit farther), Divani, Hyatt, Intercontinental and wthether to book from Hotel site or Expedia? 

Always book from the hotel's own site.  You get better prices and better rooms. 

You seem to want only US hotel chains.  You can get really good independent hotels in better locations than those.

• Like 1

Amali or Elia Ermou or 

Athen Utopia Ermou?

Any good/bad experience? I understand they are close to city but after the hotel - we have to catch flight and cruise (is it easy connection in terms of finding taxi etc) Thanks

1 hour ago, Polos12 said:

Amali or Elia Ermou or 

Athen Utopia Ermou?

Any good/bad experience? I understand they are close to city but after the hotel - we have to catch flight and cruise (is it easy connection in terms of finding taxi etc) Thanks

There are thousands of taxis. You can flag them at the hotel door. The best way is to tell your hotel desk when you check in and they will book a taxi for you for whatever time you want to check out. They do it all the time.  It will be a regular taxi at regular prices.  Any of the hotels in Central Athens is in an easy "connection" to the port.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Polos12 said:

I was thinking more from Airport to Hotel (around midnight) - once we are at hotel - there will be breathing room 🙂 Thx

Yes, there will be taxis.  The rates are higher at night.  For peace of mind after midnight, I would book George's Taxi, Welcome, or one of the other reliable transfer companies.  It could be an extra 15 euros or so well spent.