London to Southampton in wheelchair

Waynetor

My wife is confined to a wheelchair.  We are looking at a Princess cruise from Southampton..  

Anyone know if Princess shuttles are wheelchair accessible or what other options we would have?

Thanks

Are you talking about a shuttle from the airport to the ship and vice versa?   I think I would contact Princess' Access Dept and ask them.   They may forward the question to the operator of the shuttle.  

Here's the Princess shuttle/transfer link:   https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/travel-and-transportation/

And this is their Access Dept contact information: accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

You might also post your query on tripadvisor.com    

Plan B would be to arrange for private transportation.   tripadvisor has a list of transportation/taxi companies on its site, together with ratings.   You would have to go to the transportation company's website to see if they have accessible vehicles.   I know that Paragon Taxis and Freedom Cabs have accessible vehicle and have good ratings.  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186299-Activities-c59-t182-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Princess will provide accessible transportation from London to Southampton and back! My husband uses a GoGo scooter and we were very happy with the accessible van and the driver.  On the way back to London we asked the Accessibility Dept if we could stop at Stonehenge and they allowed it! We were thrilled as our friends were on the Princess  bus transport stopping at Stonehenge and we were able to join them.

In addition to the cruise ship shuttles the National Express coaches to Southampton (and elsewhere) have wheelchair lifts.

If visiting London first the trains to Southampton have wheelchair bays and boarding ramps, you can request assistance in advance via phone or website,  visit the assistance booth at Waterloo station when you reach the station.

Wheelchair enabled taxis are available in London and Southampton

We flew into Heathrow last October for a cruise out of Southampton. Hubby uses a power chair and cannot walk at all. It was very easy to take the National Express train from the airport - the station is right in the airport, and you can use their luggage cart from baggage claim to the train. Trains are fitted with a lift. Easy and very inexpensive. You do have to email them ahead of time to let them know you will have accessible equipment.

In Southampton, we had an accessible transport company meet us at the train station and take us to the hotel. We also used them to get to the terminal, since we arrived a few days early. The company is Transmobility, The owner is named Prad. Attaching contact. They were fabulous.

image.png.c80eba5040154d520c3336af7ec2b0d8.png

• 1 month later...

It took a long time (around 6 weeks) for the accessibility dept. at Princess to confirm that they will provide the transportation.  Our cruise is Ju 28 and they said they will provide details about 2 weeks prior to the cruise so looking good for us. 

• 4 months later...

We have used Princess Transfers from Southampton to London twice now.  The first time we were doing a tour to Stonehenge on the way to the airport.  When the vehicle showed up it was only large enough for my husband (scooter user) and myself.  None of our luggage would fit in it.  My sister who was traveling with us (and shared our cruise cabin) had to go on a separate bus with all our luggage.  We had to meet up at the airport.  I did not like this as it left her all alone to handle luggage for three of us.  This last trip I started talking to guest services on day 2 of a 14 day cruise about the transfer.  I wanted to make sure they knew that they had to get a vehicle big enough for three of us and nine pieces of luggage.  I spoke to someone at guest services on at least 6 add’l trips to ensure this.  They did not contact the accessibility company early enough, despite all of my  conversations to ensure this…and we did not get confirmation until 9:30 PM the night before we got off as to what time the vehicle would be there.  They couldn’t get it there until 10:30 AM - it’s at least 90 minutes to Heathrow - and in this case it was 2 hours.  The vehicle didn’t arrive until 11:15 AM and we didn’t get to Heathrow until 1:15 for a 2:50 international departure.  I will never let Princess handle my handicap transfers to Heathrow again.  I will contract with Transmobility myself and pay the extra.  The difference in the cost of Princess handling it and myself arranging it is not worth the stress and anxiety that I went through with this last trip.  We barely made our flight home.  It was NOT the way to end our trip. So, going forward I will budget extra for arranging my own transfers.