Chase Sapphire Reserve trip insurance

molemaui

My understanding is this card covers you up to $20,000 for trip cancellation for a "covered" expense. 

I have used this card exclusively for approx. 15 cruises and luckily never had a claim or issue. I'm reexamining this strategy and am planning on adding Geo Blue for global medical and a med jet type service. The way I understand the credit card policy, medical evacuation is at the direction of the doctor. If I purchase separate medical evacuation insurance, I can make that decision for hospital of choice. 

More questions:

a. Has anyone had too use the insurance from Chase Sapphire Reserve for any claims? Were you happy?

b. Am I correct that purchasing separate evacuation insurance gives me hospital of choice decision?

c. Even though the card provides medical, it is a small amount, thus adding Geo Blue. Good idea?

I estimate I've saved over $20,000 in insurance costs just relying on my credit card but with age, etc. feel I should have more protection. 

Appreciate any input or comments. 

B) Yes, No, Maybe

Some of the issues when it comes to evacuation to a hospital.

1) Under an emergency situation, you are going to be evacuated to the nearest hospital that can treat your ailment. No if's, and's or but's.

2) The MedJet has some limitations. You must be more than 150 miles from home. You MUST be an "Inpatient" at a hospital. There must be an airfield/airport nearby. (a patient receiving treatment at an urgent care clinic and only reachable by helicopter does not meet these conditions)

3) If after you have been stabilized and the current physician and the receiving physician have agreed that you can safely be moved, THEN, some policies will allow you to make the decision that you can be evacuated to the hospital of your choice.

C) CSR medical is "secondary". GeoBlue is "secondary". Both require a "Primary". Do you have a Primary?

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

3) If after you have been stabilized and the current physician and the receiving physician have agreed that you can safely be moved, THEN, some policies will allow you to make the decision that you can be evacuated to the hospital of your choice.

C) CSR medical is "secondary". GeoBlue is "secondary". Both require a "Primary". Do you have a Primary?

Thanks for mentioning the hospital part. Med Jet allows you to make the decision to go elsewhere ONCE you are receiving care at a hospital. (They define hospital as a facility providing care 24/7)

Primary is Medicare with Med Gap that provides limited coverage outside of the US. 

Thanks again for the information.

@molemaui - here are a few more comments.

It sounds like you understand Medjet Assist and the reason some people purchase this policy even if they have a GeoBlue Trekker policy.  We currently rely only on GeoBlue, but might consider a Medjet membership in the future.

As @klfrodo said, GeoBlue Trekker is a secondary plan and requires you have a primary home medical plan. But GeoBlue will pay as the first payer and there is no need to file with your primary payer. In our limited experience, GeoBlue has never tried to collect from our primamy plan. Steve from TripInsuranceStore.com told me in the past that he has never seen it either.  It is a great plan for someone on Medicare with a Supplement (Medigap), as you don't have to worry about using any of the supplement's $50K lifetime maximum for foreign emergency travel.  

We also often rely on our Chase card.  Based on secondhand knowledge, Chase will pay valid claims, but there are some limitations.  Here are the bigger ones for us:

• There is no waiver of pre-existing conditions for us or non-traveling family members.  Chase has a 60 day lookback period. Depending on the reason for a claim, they can require medical records.  For example if you have a cancelation claim due to a sick parent, the 60 day lookback would apply to the parent and all of the parent's recent medical records will most likely be requested.
  • The list of covered reasons for cancelation and interruption is shorter than with most travel insurance policies.  We usually don't worry about it, but you should probably review the terms if you are relying on the card for an expensive trip.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:32 AM, molemaui said:

More questions:

a. Has anyone had too use the insurance from Chase Sapphire Reserve for any claims? Were you happy?

We relied on the trip cancellation insurance provided by Saphire. (Med. ins. through Geoblue) We had to cancel a January 2023 cruise when my husband hurt his back and was on pain meds and unable to walk.  I filed a claim with the Saphire insurance carrier on 2/6/23 (Federal Ins. Co. -Allianz??)  Claim was for the cruise only -no air/hotel. They have repeatedly requested documents that have already been submitted. Another e-mail this morning requesting the credit card statement that has been submitted twice.  I think they are hoping that I will give up and go away.  I am very disappointed with the claims process and don't think I will rely on Saphire for trip cancellation.