Joy - Haven HJ

js

Hi.

I'm about to change my cabin from balcony to Haven on the Joy in category HJ. We have only sailed Haven and I understand 

this is not in the Courtyard.

All HJs are on Deck 14. Is there one HJ that many find better than another? Is the area where the HJs are on the Joy (in the middle)

the elevators and stairs?

Thank you all so much!

They are the stairs and elevator that you're seeing. I'm staying in an HJ on the Joy (14180), beginning March 18th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I'm excited. You can follow along on my live, including room photos. Let me know if you want to know anything else and I'll look into it. 

1 hour ago, js said:

Hi.

I'm about to change my cabin from balcony to Haven on the Joy in category HJ. We have only sailed Haven and I understand 

this is not in the Courtyard.

All HJs are on Deck 14. Is there one HJ that many find better than another? Is the area where the HJs are on the Joy (in the middle)

the elevators and stairs?

Thank you all so much!

I would try to grab 14180 or the next one closest to it.  

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

They are the stairs and elevator that you're seeing. I'm staying in an HJ on the Joy (14180), beginning March 18th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I'm excited. You can follow along on my live, including room photos. Let me know if you want to know anything else and I'll look into it. 

OMG you are!!!! OK! I will be watching EVERYTHING! PLEASE PLEASE this is our first time not in the actual Haven Courtyard. Please let me know how you feel about having to go up and down and if you feel any differently. 

Please can you see how late the Haven bar is open at night and if you see your butler on the 14th floor as much as you would in the Courtyard.  Have a FABULOUS time and can't wait to see all your pictures!!!

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you.

Why do I want this cabin. 

I'm in the process of having my TA move my date to August (from July) since we had booked a balcony instead of Haven and had Vibe passes and going to buy extra restaurants so one each night but the August Joy sailing was less for the Haven vs. July Haven so I'm changing dates and have to get my FCC of $1,000 moved over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

14182 is available. Should I get thar one?

14180 is not. Now Im sad lol

Update:

My TA just confirmed 14182 with me. Is this good? Did I want to be on the other side and why close to 14180. 

Thank you!

Edited by js

15 minutes ago, js said:

14182 is available. Should I get thar one?

14180 is not. Now Im sad lol

Yes.  It is closer to the stairs and elevator and you will be that much closer to the Haven door.   Will save a second or two!   

17 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Yes.  It is closer to the stairs and elevator and you will be that much closer to the Haven door.   Will save a second or two!   

Thank you! I booked 14182.

Are all the HJs set up the same with the little seating area by the sliding glass doors?
Are any beds set up next to the doors?

Thank you so much!

18 hours ago, js said:

OMG you are!!!! OK! I will be watching EVERYTHING! PLEASE PLEASE this is our first time not in the actual Haven Courtyard. Please let me know how you feel about having to go up and down and if you feel any differently. 

Please can you see how late the Haven bar is open at night and if you see your butler on the 14th floor as much as you would in the Courtyard.  Have a FABULOUS time and can't wait to see all your pictures!!!

We have been so fortunate to cruise Haven three times in the last year, with this upcoming cruise being our fourth (and last, likely for awhile). We've never stayed in the Haven proper. Our first cruise was two flights of stairs below the Haven area and we had no issue whatsoever. We actually like being outside the Haven as it gives us a reason to see other parts of the ship and to escape the pomposity. Honestly, by the end of a Haven cruise I'm "serviced" out. The crew does exactly what they're supposed to do, but I wish for a more informal environment. My husband...well he loves it! So, being outside the Haven does give me, specifically, a break. 

Our last two cruises, we were in aft Haven suites. These were the freaking bomb diggity! I am in love with aft suites. The walk is nice to burn off a few of the calories or just to take a stroll on the pool deck to/from the Haven and our room. I absolutely love it! 

Even though we haven't been in the Haven, we have always seen our butler. Every. Single. Day. Oftentimes, multiple times per day. Same with our room attendant. I am interested to see how this works out given the cuts NCL has done to staff and service. Don't worry. I'll be reporting on this too.

We would never close a bar down, but I'll see if I remember to get those Haven bar hours. 

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We are going to be neighbors on the same cruise, we are in 14178!  We had this exact room last year and loved it so much we booked it again!

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We have been so fortunate to cruise Haven three times in the last year, with this upcoming cruise being our fourth (and last, likely for awhile). We've never stayed in the Haven proper. Our first cruise was two flights of stairs below the Haven area and we had no issue whatsoever. We actually like being outside the Haven as it gives us a reason to see other parts of the ship and to escape the pomposity. Honestly, by the end of a Haven cruise I'm "serviced" out. The crew does exactly what they're supposed to do, but I wish for a more informal environment. My husband...well he loves it! So, being outside the Haven does give me, specifically, a break. 

Our last two cruises, we were in aft Haven suites. These were the freaking bomb diggity! I am in love with aft suites. The walk is nice to burn off a few of the calories or just to take a stroll on the pool deck to/from the Haven and our room. I absolutely love it! 

Even though we haven't been in the Haven, we have always seen our butler. Every. Single. Day. Oftentimes, multiple times per day. Same with our room attendant. I am interested to see how this works out given the cuts NCL has done to staff and service. Don't worry. I'll be reporting on this too.

We would never close a bar down, but I'll see if I remember to get those Haven bar hours. 

Fabulous! Enjoy every single minute. Thank you for the Haven bar hours. It seems when my dh and I are headed back to our cabins, the Haven bar is never open that late LOL

Cannot wait! We love crusing!

19 minutes ago, WAHMto5 said:

We are going to be neighbors on the same cruise, we are in 14178!  We had this exact room last year and loved it so much we booked it again!

Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked cabin 14182.

Can you tell me are all the HJs the same layout with the little seating area by the sliding doors or are some beds by the doors? Thank you so much!

7 minutes ago, js said:

Fabulous! Enjoy every single minute. Thank you for the Haven bar hours. It seems when my dh and I are headed back to our cabins, the Haven bar is never open that late LOL

Cannot wait! We love crusing!

Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked cabin 14182.

Can you tell me are all the HJs the same layout with the little seating area by the sliding doors or are some beds by the doors? Thank you so much!

Thank you!  Ours is actually a HI (penthouse)so I really don’t know about the HJs.  Though I do believe both they do have some sort of seating in that area between the bed and the windows/doors.  We snag this room because it is on an angle and the balcony is huge. 
Hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WAHMto5 said:

We have stayed in this cabin last February and loved it!    I missed that closet when we sailed again months later and stayed a few cabins away in a non-Haven suite.  

• Like 1

I can only iterate what vacation44 has stated about the Haven suites in the vicinity of # 14178.  That they are not in the "millionaires' row" of the Haven proper is not an imposition.  Those fourteenth-deck Haven suites are near enough to the elevators (which present no noise issues) that you can be in the Haven within one-to-three minutes.  Nor are those "off-campus" Haven suites short-changed in terms of butler, steward, or concierge services.

Believe me, this was an important consideration for me.  Unlike cruiseny4life, I enjoy the indulgence of the Haven and would be gladly spend my entire voyage being catered to.  We would not have booked HI # 14778 if there had been any chance of that not happening.  And it made sense to "endure" a two-minute elevator ride in exchange for a suite larger than a Haven courtyard suite.

For WAHMto5, the suite we had, # 14778, is the "mirror image" (same dimensions and arrangement, but directly across on the starboard side) of the one you've booked, # 14178.  And it has the same attributes as # 14778.  Vacation44 is a veteran cruiser of # 14178 and, if I remember correctly, is her favourite stateroom on Norwegian Joy.  And I've asserted before that, if I were to be awarded a free cruise in any suite on Joy, I would take only # 14778 or # 14178.

Js, you should very much enjoy staying # 14182.  I hope it will be a marvelous cruise for you in all respects.

(Note to cruiseny4life:  I will be following your thread on your upcoming cruise on Joy.  I am always especially interested in reports from the fourteenth-deck Haven spaces.  We're different types of people, but nevertheless, your observations are noteworthy and pertinent.  Especially since the Good Mrs. Benson and I will be sailing again on Joy in 2024.  Aye, in #14778, again.  The GMB insisted on the same suite on the same ship.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

I can only iterate what vacation44 has stated about the Haven suites in the vicinity of # 14178.  That they are not in the "millionaires' row" of the Haven proper is not an imposition.  Those fourteenth-deck Haven suites are near enough to the elevators (which present no noise issues) that you can be in the Haven within one-to-three minutes.  Nor are those "off-campus" Haven suites short-changed in terms of butler, steward, or concierge services.

Believe me, this was an important consideration for me.  Unlike cruiseny4life, I enjoy the indulgence of the Haven and would be gladly spend my entire voyage being catered to.  We would not have booked HI # 14778 if there had been any chance of that not happening.  And it made sense to "endure" a two-minute elevator ride in exchange for a suite larger than a Haven courtyard suite.

For WAHMto5, the suite we had, # 14778, is the "mirror image" (same dimensions and arrangement, but directly across on the starboard side) of the one you've booked, # 14178.  And it has the same attributes as # 14778.  Vacation44 is a veteran cruiser of # 14178 and, if I remember correctly, is her favourite stateroom on Norwegian Joy.  And I've asserted before that, if I were to be awarded a free cruise in any suite on Joy, I would take only # 14778 or # 14178.

Js, you should very much enjoy staying # 14182.  I hope it will be a marvelous cruise for you in all respects.

(Note to cruiseny4life:  I will be following your thread on your upcoming cruise on Joy.  I am always especially interested in reports from the fourteenth-deck Haven spaces.  We're different types of people, but nevertheless, your observations are noteworthy and pertinent.  Especially since the Good Mrs. Benson and I will be sailing again on Joy in 2024.  Aye, in #14778, again.  The GMB insisted on the same suite on the same ship.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and express your thoughts on my questions. I really appreciate it. You truly have made me feel a lot better about being on Deck 14 and not in the Courtyard area.

I'm going to read your (and all) responses to my dh.  

Thank you again!

3 hours ago, WAHMto5 said:

Well, howdy neighbors! I promise we won't be smoking on our balcony or playing country/hip hop/jazz loudly from a portable speaker! 

I can't say I'll remember to put my robe on all the time when I head out to the balcony...I'm going to have to be better about this since I don't have such a nice large aft balcony this time.

It'll be nice to say hi to you in person next week! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and express your thoughts on my questions. I really appreciate it. You truly have made me feel a lot better about being on Deck 14 and not in the Courtyard area.

Thank you again!

2 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

You are very welcome @js.   

@CDR Benson and I went back and forth for months leading up to our trips.   He is 100% correct as we both were thrilled with our cabins.    We have a Joy cruise booked for June 2024 and 14178 is available, but my husband will kill me if I switched it because then we would have to switch and pay for upgrades for four additional cabins.   Right now I choose my marriage over that cabin.   We are in club balcony suites and already have the Vibe passes secure for everyone so I should be good.  But I will miss that closet.   

17 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you again!

Glad to be of service!

I checked the deck plans of Norwegian Joy, to determine precisely where suite # 17182 was located.  There is another advantage of your suite over most of the suites in the Haven proper.  

Suite # 17182 is located amidships and a reasonable number of decks from the topmost.  That means, in the event of heavy seas from inclement weather, your suite will ride more steadily than those Haven digs located forward, on decks 17 and 18.  The suites all the way forward will feel the motion of the seas even in calm weather.

Now, the sea state may remain calm for your cruise and this will be a non-issue.  But on the last night of our cruise last year, when we were in # 14778, the ship got caught in the influence of an approaching hurricane.  The seas got pretty choppy; yet, the Good Mrs. Benson and I remained on an even keel in our suite, while the Haven spaces forward and three decks up were bouncing around.

1 minute ago, CDR Benson said:

Glad to be of service!

I checked the deck plans of Norwegian Joy, to determine precisely where suite # 17182 was located.  There is another advantage of your suite over most of the suites in the Haven proper.  

Suite # 17182 is located amidships and a reasonable number of decks from the topmost.  That means, in the event of heavy seas from inclement weather, your suite will ride more steadily than those Haven digs located forward, on decks 17 and 18.  The suites all the way forward will feel the motion of the seas even in calm weather.

Now, the sea state may remain calm for your cruise and this will be a non-issue.  But on the last night of our cruise last year, when we were in # 14778, the ship got caught in the influence of an approaching hurricane.  The seas got pretty choppy; yet, the Good Mrs. Benson and I remained on an even keel in our suite, while the Haven spaces forward and three decks up were bouncing around.

Another plus! Thank you so much! My dh def didn't want the aft Haven cabins (although we love them on RCCL) because he wants the least amount of roaming to get to the Haven LOL

Enjoy your cruise and thank you so much!

9 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We have a Joy cruise booked for June 2024 and 14178 is available, but my husband will kill me if I switched it . . .

If we were in your situation, the Good Mrs. Benson would kill me if I didn't switch it.

I have to smile at the thought.  A couple of years ago, when I was planning our 2022 cruise on Norwegian Joy, I told the GMB of my intention of getting a suite in the Haven.  Her response was, "Oh, I don't care if we have anything special like that.  What do we need a butler for?  And the main dining room is good enough for me.  All I care about is having a stateroom with a balcony.  Why spend all that extra money?"

The answer was:  because wanted all those things.  "Trust me," I told her.

Sure enough, after a week of being pampered and indulged like the Queen of Sheba, she changed her refrain.  Now, the only way she will ride on an NCL ship is in the Haven, and preferably on Joy, in the same suite.  (I spent an hour, abetted by YouTube videos, talking her out of her idea to cancel our Regent Seven Seas cruise this year and replacing it with another Haven cruise on Joy.)

5 minutes ago, dwr777 said:

I’m in 14778 on NCL Joy in a few weeks and happy to see all the great comments! CDR Benson, does this balcony have room for loungers?

Because of the angled balcony, aye, it does.  When we had # 14778, the balcony was equipped with a lounger.  In fact, one night, I got the idea of sleeping in it, but gave it up when I discovered there were no spare blankets in the suite.

1 hour ago, dwr777 said:

I’m in 14778 on NCL Joy in a few weeks and happy to see all the great comments! CDR Benson, does this balcony have room for loungers?

Thanks!

You can actually have 2!  This is from 14178, which is the exact cabin on other side of the ship!

BD5A229E-20F6-418E-9AAC-A40665E6EEF1.jpeg

On 3/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, js said:

My TA just confirmed 14182 with me. Is this good? Did I want to be on the other side and why close to 14180. 

You will have views of Manhattan as you depart. The Starboard side, fewer views, but a good view of the Statue of Liberty (personally, I would be up on the sundeck for the 1 hour sailaway). 

You will have great views as you arrive in Bermuda. You spend about an hour close to shore, navigating between the reefs as you arrive. The other side will have views as you depart (when you are getting cleaned up after a day ashore and getting ready for the evening).