Post Cruise Athens 1 day stay help

latebloomer56

Ok here goes looking for suggestions from people who have stayed an extra day in Athens.

We are sailing from Rome to Athens in Aug. yes I know it will be hot. We were going to do a tour from Princess with airport drop off but the only have one and it is very limited so decided to stay an extra day. Hotel does not have anything from the hotel as some have at other hotels.

I have checked getyour guide tour group but they only had two with a pick up and these only went one place.

Has anybody stayed at the Intercontinental this isn't in the Plaka area but you can see the Pantheon from the rooftop restaurant if that helps explain where it is located.

What we want is to see the Acropolis (if to hot for me have option to do just the museum. Plus drive around viewing other sites. Also would like to eat in the Plaka area as herd there are several different restaurants to chose from.

I can get around but am slow due to oxygen use. This hotel has a shuttle that goes to and from the downtown area? What would that area cover? Could we get to sites from here without to much of an issue we do not speak the language but can follow a map.

Also if anybody has had Athens as the final stop what time do you get off the ship? They dock at 4:00 am we have the transfer (hoping we go to hotel early they can take bags) to hotel then the next day hotel to airport, our flight is 4;00 pm.

Thanks everybody

Why not stay in a hotel right IN the Plaka/Acropolis area?

The Athens Gate Hotel (I've stayed there twice) is about 2 blocks from the Acropolis Museum and the pathway up to the Acropolis is right across the street (from the museum, not from the hotel). It is right at the edge of the Plaka. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant where breakfast, cocktails, and a dinner (limited selection but good) are served and it has excellent (but much closer) views of the Acropolis.

If walking around the Plaka area is too much for you, I believe they have one of those tourist "trains" that you can hop on and off. I have never used it but recall seeing it around. I'm sure you could catch it in front of the Acropolis Museum (two blocks from hotel) and the hotel would probably have details.

Can you walk up to the Acropolis?  It's quite a climb with a lot of steps. 

There are many restaurants and shops in the Plaka -- these days it is primarily a tourist area so most any waiter or shop attendant will speak some English.

Ships seem to always dock early in Piraeus but don't count on being able to get off until around 6:30  -- 7:00 am. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why not stay in a hotel right IN the Plaka/Acropolis area?

The Athens Gate Hotel (I've stayed there twice) is about 2 blocks from the Acropolis Museum and the pathway up to the Acropolis is right across the street (from the museum, not from the hotel). It is right at the edge of the Plaka. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant where breakfast, cocktails, and a dinner (limited selection but good) are served and it has excellent (but much closer) views of the Acropolis.

If walking around the Plaka area is too much for you, I believe they have one of those tourist "trains" that you can hop on and off. I have never used it but recall seeing it around. I'm sure you could catch it in front of the Acropolis Museum (two blocks from hotel) and the hotel would probably have details.

Can you walk up to the Acropolis?  It's quite a climb with a lot of steps. 

There are many restaurants and shops in the Plaka -- these days it is primarily a tourist area so most any waiter or shop attendant will speak some English.

Ships seem to always dock early in Piraeus but don't count on being able to get off until around 6:30  -- 7:00 am. 

Thank you very much. We are doing everything through Princess, but will ask our TA to check if they have a different hotel. Know when we have done them through the cruise line have had a couple choices. 

If I take it slow I can walk around not sure how much if its hot and humid. I will do what I can and will stop as needed. Don't think to 80 step up to the Acropolis will be in the cards. This trip is about making good memories, when my husband looks back the trip will make him smile.

I hate to be a critic (the site is called Cruise "Critic") but must agree with Cruisemom that we would opt for a hotel much closer to the Plaka/Syntagma Square area.  Another issue with using Princess for a hotel package is you will likely pay about the twice the price of simply making your own reservations and grabbing a taxi (or arranging for a private transfer) from the port.  

As to the Intercontinental, we do like the chain but dislike this particular property because of its location.  Take a look at the price of Cruisemom's suggestion (Athens gate) and compare it to what you will pay Princess (remember that the price for a Princess package is PER PERSON).  

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I hate to be a critic (the site is called Cruise "Critic") but must agree with Cruisemom that we would opt for a hotel much closer to the Plaka/Syntagma Square area.  Another issue with using Princess for a hotel package is you will likely pay about the twice the price of simply making your own reservations and grabbing a taxi (or arranging for a private transfer) from the port.  

As to the Intercontinental, we do like the chain but dislike this particular property because of its location.  Take a look at the price of Cruisemom's suggestion (Athens gate) and compare it to what you will pay Princess (remember that the price for a Princess package is PER PERSON).  

Hank

I know nothing of Athens.  We'll be there in May and will be staying at the Intercontinental.  What is wrong with the location? Is it just inconvenient?

8 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I know nothing of Athens.  We'll be there in May and will be staying at the Intercontinental.  What is wrong with the location? Is it just inconvenient?

Yes.  Look at a map of Athens and focus on Syntagma Square, which is the true heart of Athens.  Across the main street is the start of the popular Plaka area which is full of tourist-oriented shops and cafes.  Many visitors to Athens like to be within easy walking distance of this part of Athens and others prefer to be a bit closer to the Acropolis area (which is walkable from Syntagma Square).  We have always thought that the perfect hotel, in terms of location, is the Grande Bretagne, so you can look where that is located (within a stone's throw to Syntagma Square.  From the Intercontinental I think you are generally looking at a 30 min walk (each way) to get to the main tourist areas or one could certainly get a taxi for under 10 Euros.  But we have found that getting a taxi later at night is not always easy...or it can be very expensive (some of the drivers do not want to take the short haul fares).

There are other neighborhoods in Athens that some folks prefer, but for a first-time visitor it is hard to beat a location near the Plaka.  I would also toss in the cost factor.  I have no idea what Princess charges for their hotel package (folks need to be cognizant that cruise lines charge per person) but the well placed hotel that Cruisemom suggested costs about $250 (perhaps a bit less) per night (that is per couple)!  Throw in some extra money for transfers ($80 should cover airport to town and town to the port) which means that if Princess is charging much more than $150 per person/day it makes more sense to consider booking your own hotel in a better location.

Hank

8 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

According to most who have been there it is a little further from most main sites. Our TA picked this one wee spoke yesterday she said you could look for something else also through Princess, but reminded me I like quiet hotels with good restaurants and this would fit the bill for us. This hotel doesn't arrange tour like other have for us in past locations, however the have a shuttle that goes to and front the downtown area for buses, trains, and tours. They will also have a taxi come for you as well.

I have some limits ( these will get worse as the months go by) I am thinking of not staying an extra day and just doing a tour prior to airport drop off.

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes.  Look at a map of Athens and focus on Syntagma Square, which is the true heart of Athens.  Across the main street is the start of the popular Plaka area which is full of tourist-oriented shops and cafes.  Many visitors to Athens like to be within easy walking distance of this part of Athens and others prefer to be a bit closer to the Acropolis area (which is walkable from Syntagma Square).  We have always thought that the perfect hotel, in terms of location, is the Grande Bretagne, so you can look where that is located (within a stone's throw to Syntagma Square.  From the Intercontinental I think you are generally looking at a 30 min walk (each way) to get to the main tourist areas or one could certainly get a taxi for under 10 Euros.  But we have found that getting a taxi later at night is not always easy...or it can be very expensive (some of the drivers do not want to take the short haul fares).

There are other neighborhoods in Athens that some folks prefer, but for a first-time visitor it is hard to beat a location near the Plaka.  I would also toss in the cost factor.  I have no idea what Princess charges for their hotel package (folks need to be cognizant that cruise lines charge per person) but the well placed hotel that Cruisemom suggested costs about $250 (perhaps a bit less) per night (that is per couple)!  Throw in some extra money for transfers ($80 should cover airport to town and town to the port) which means that if Princess is charging much more than $150 per person/day it makes more sense to consider booking your own hotel in a better location.

Hank

This hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Plaka area all day and early evening. I contacted them about tours from their hotel.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:43 AM, latebloomer56 said:

According to most who have been there it is a little further from most main sites. Our TA picked this one wee spoke yesterday she said you could look for something else also through Princess, but reminded me I like quiet hotels with good restaurants and this would fit the bill for us. This hotel doesn't arrange tour like other have for us in past locations, however the have a shuttle that goes to and front the downtown area for buses, trains, and tours. They will also have a taxi come for you as well.

I have some limits ( these will get worse as the months go by) I am thinking of not staying an extra day and just doing a tour prior to airport drop off.

This hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Plaka area all day and early evening. I contacted them about tours from their hotel.

Thanks for the responses!  My husband is a business traveler and is the highest level of loyalty with IHG and has hundreds of thousands of "points" with IHG.  We're staying at this Intercontinental for free for a week prior to our cruise because we booked with points.  We're fine with some extra walking but could also pay for transportation as needed.  Unfortunately for us, IHG only has 3 hotels in Athens:  the IC, a Crowne Plaza which is not more convenient, and a hotel (holiday Inn?) out at the airport. I did look at The Athens Gate but it was sold out on some of the days of our stay. It's good to know about the shuttle!

Edited by aimee0715