Tours in Sitka

Hllb

I'm still debating what to do in Sitka. I wanted to snorkel, but the kids are not on board. They liked the sound of the Hot Italian Glass tour, but I'm not sold on it (and people here kind of said it's probably not quite right for us). The raptor center, fortress of the bear, and totems were recommended. Other ideas? Or vendors for that tour? I'm on HAL but they don't have one tour that does those 3 things. I have found some resellers that do, though they are quite short around 2.5 hrs for all 3 things. I looked at rainforest hikes and renting bikes too, and the kids didn't seem interested. At least one of them LOL.

Edited by Hllb

I struggled for some time choosing an excursion in Sitka and eventually settled on the "Wilderness Sea Kayaking" excursion available through our cruise line. It is advertised as a guided kayak ride with beautiful scenery and the chance to sea some marine life. We chose it because we wanted to do something active and it was also one of the more affordable tours (99$/person). Since the tour is only 3 hours, afterwards we plan to hike the totem park independently. It seems to be very easy to do on your own, and from there you could walk to the raptor center if that is of interest. From what I have understood, only Fortress of the Bear is not accessible by foot once in Sitka. 

There should be a bus to the Raptor Center at the site (Convention Center) where the ship’s complimentary bus drops you off in Sitka.  It was around $10pp.  It does a loop that drops you off at the Fortress of the Bears,  picks you up and takes you to the Raptor Center, and back to the starting point.  It runs all day.  The Fortress of the Bears is the farthest point in the loop, and the bus is best way to see the bears.  You can also walk around the harbor to a sea life touch tank exhibit and on to the totem park which will lead you to the Raptor Center.  The totem park is a nice walk.  I highly recommend the Fortress of the Bears.

• Like 1

Just now, oaktreerb said:

There should be a bus to the Raptor Center at the site (Convention Center) where the ship’s complimentary bus drops you off in Sitka.  It was around $10pp.  It does a loop that drops you off at the Fortress of the Bears,  picks you up and takes you to the Raptor Center, and back to the starting point.  It runs all day.  The Fortress of the Bears is the farthest point in the loop, and the bus is best way to see the bears.  You can also walk around the harbor to a sea life touch tank exhibit and on to the totem park which will lead you to the Raptor Center.  The totem park is a nice walk.  I highly recommend the Fortress of the Bears.

Oh, that sounds super easy to do yourself! I like that idea. We have a long time in the port so could take as much time as we’d like. Is there a website for the bus or do you know what it’s called?

8 minutes ago, aroundtheworld96 said:

I struggled for some time choosing an excursion in Sitka and eventually settled on the "Wilderness Sea Kayaking" excursion available through our cruise line. It is advertised as a guided kayak ride with beautiful scenery and the chance to sea some marine life. We chose it because we wanted to do something active and it was also one of the more affordable tours (99$/person). Since the tour is only 3 hours, afterwards we plan to hike the totem park independently. It seems to be very easy to do on your own, and from there you could walk to the raptor center if that is of interest. From what I have understood, only Fortress of the Bear is not accessible by foot once in Sitka. 

Thanks! I think I’m going to look into doing stuff on our own. I love kayaking too and we’re doing that in Ketchikan.

15 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Oh, that sounds super easy to do yourself! I like that idea. We have a long time in the port so could take as much time as we’d like. Is there a website for the bus or do you know what it’s called?

I think it is offered by the town of Sitka.  Go online and search for the Sitka Visitor’s bureau.  There will be an online map and other visitor information.

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

This is exactly what our extended family of 6 did this past September. Besides the $10.00pp there is also a small admittance fee for each venue, adult and children prices. So glad we didn't book this through the ship or with a private company as it would have been more.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

This is exactly what our extended family of 6 did this past September. Besides the $10.00pp there is also a small admittance fee for each venue, adult and children prices. So glad we didn't book this through the ship or with a private company as it would have been more.

Can you share details on the shuttle? I’ve yet to find any official info online for it, just reference that it exists

I've been to Sitka a number of times.  There is no "official" information about the shuttle.  There's an area next to Crescent Harbor with the visitor's center, library and a big parking lot.  The bus leaves from there.  Ask in the visitor's center.  It may not run if there aren't enough tourist bodies in town.  I haven't taken it but people who have told me it's $10 for the round trip.  They may give you a ticket or stamp your hand like they do in Skagway.  

Sitka is very walkable.  I like to wander up Lincoln Street.  It's one of the few towns that hasn't been taken over (yet) by the cruise ship owned jewelry stores and cheap tourist souvenir box stores.  There are some great local shops, food trucks, local natives selling crafts, and a fisherman who shows up on busy days and sells smoked fish in an alleyway.  The ice cream is great at Harry Race pharmacy and they sell the awesome locally made Theobroma chocolate bars.  Old Harbor books carry lots of local interest books and is a great place to spend a couple of hours on a rainy day.  The thrift store by the Lutheran church is a good place to check out the items Alaskans consider essential.  I got a pair of Extratuf boots there for $10.  The old Russian cathedral is also in that area as is the site of Baranof Castle.  The harbor is a good place to spot eagles and the local ravens are always entertaining.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 4

If you walk to opposite way from town you will go past the marina, a hatchery/aquarium and will see a lot of people watching the fish from docks, Keep going on that same road and you will get to a large park - either a state or national park. There are some wonderful hiking trails through that and some totem poles set up throughout. This is all free and easy to do. I will check out the bus past the bears for next time though.