Flight back Sydney to UK

watsonbeau

We are booked for San Francisco to Sydney in February 2024. Am getting the eeby jeebies about the long flight back from Sydney to UK though - anyone had recent experience of what it’s like in economy for that length of time ? Depending on cost might be able to book premium economy but don’t think funds will stretch to business class unfortunately. 

Alternatively we could transfer to another cruise  but if I don’t go across the Pacific in Feb 24 I doubt I will feel fit enough health wise-age wise much past then so am having a good think - balance obviously not due till early November so time to ruminate. Thank you. 

Have you thought about a couple of days layover in one of many cities en route? Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Dubai are a few options, which breaks that horrible journey home. Often the prices for these fares are surprisingly good, and Cunard will help you  with these deviations as no doubt a travel agent will.

With long haul flights we have had some great fares when booking direct with Cunard.

• Like 3

Have you booked air tickets with Cunard? We have Barcelona to Melbourne coming up and I was looking to book the one way with them.

and yes, 15 hours in economy is brutal, sorry, but like all things it passes if you have the right attitude. I was upgraded about 20 years ago and have found myself unable to go back!

• Like 1

We had to fly from Australia to the US (Boston) after the 2020 cruise ended.  If you can get bulkhead seats, that really helped us.  We also got aisle seats across from each other.  My advice, don't watch your watch!  Pick out some movies to watch and you'll get through it.  The cabin crew will try to simulate the different times of the day with the lighting.  

Prior to this flight home I hadn't flown in about 20 years.  If I can do it, anyone can.  

We hate long flights - but being from NZ I'm an expert at this! I'd break the flight up - Sydney to Singapore/KL/Bangkok is about 8 hours.  From Asia to the Middle east (Dubai, Doha) is about 6 hours and then the hop home.  

We are the same - dont like economy for long haul but don't want to pay for business either. Some airlines now have extra leg room (which aren't bulk heads  -I don't like bulk heads because sometimes the seats don't recline and some times there are bassinets). Some fo the Asian airlines allow you to buy the seat between you - that makes a huge difference. 

but really if you have the time break the trip up 

• Like 2

Yes it’s a tough one. We are booked with Cunard for flights, no times etc as yet, so might ask about stopovers -  though in some ways I’d sooner get straight back home and wait for the jet lag to hit ! Thank you.

Edited by watsonbeau
  • Like 1

As you're a Cunarder you could, if time permits, travel via Dubai and have a short stay on the QE2. I've yet to do this myself - pencilled in for July - so am open to feedback from anyone who has.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MelbTone said:

As you're a Cunarder you could, if time permits, travel via Dubai and have a short stay on the QE2. I've yet to do this myself - pencilled in for July - so am open to feedback from anyone who has.

Good point - intend to do that myself the next time we go through Dubai 

On 3/10/2023 at 6:05 PM, Cruise NH said:

If you can get bulkhead seats, that really helped us. 

I second Cruise NH's recommendation about economy bulkhead seats on long-haul flights. Also, is there a possibility of buying a economy ticket and then using points to upgrade to business? Most of the major airlines have significantly upgraded their premium economy in the past 2 years. On some airlines Premium Economy today is almost equal to what Business Class was 10 years ago before that class got lay-flat beds. If Business Class is out, Premium Economy is a very good compromise. See the flight as a chance to indulge yourself. Bring that book you have been trying to get through or a stack of magazines, maybe there are some letters you would like to write. This is also a good time to organize your pictures and chronicle the trip while it is still fresh. 

Hope this helps,

Jack

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:04 AM, watsonbeau said:

We are booked for San Francisco to Sydney in February 2024. Am getting the eeby jeebies about the long flight back from Sydney to UK though - anyone had recent experience of what it’s like in economy for that length of time ? Depending on cost might be able to book premium economy but don’t think funds will stretch to business class unfortunately. 

Alternatively we could transfer to another cruise  but if I don’t go across the Pacific in Feb 24 I doubt I will feel fit enough health wise-age wise much past then so am having a good think - balance obviously not due till early November so time to ruminate. Thank you. 

I've done the flight from Melbourne to London and other European cities many times. I haven't done it in economy for many years because it's brutal. It's not so much the jet lag which isn't as bad going from Australia to UK as it is vice versa (some people have explanations for this) so much as the frightful experience of being beside yourself with tiredness and unable to get anything like sleep.

I've travelled premium economy on BA and it is a great deal better than economy and business is even better again. If you buy a full economy fare and have enough points you can often upgrade to a higher grade using those.

Last time I did the long haul I pledged to myself that I would never do it again even in business and in future to always take a 2 day stop over in Asia - wherever the flight is transitting. So that would be my advice.

Or could you do a leg on a ship to get you to Asia from Australia? or fly to Asia and take a ship to the UK?

• Like 2