Dancing at Sea

Quo Vadis?

After having attended a number of different lessons on board many cruises I think I finally have the basics down. What I would like to know is if one ship or cruise line gives more opportunities and provides a choice of dance floors for nightly dancing? Now that I can get my brain to move the correct foot most of the time, I actually look forward to this activity more than any other onboard. Are lessons still a part of most cruises or are they only found on longer sailings?

Hi,

There is ballroom dancing nightly on Princess ships in the Wheelhouse Lounge. On all of my recent Princess cruises there has been instruction in basic ballroom, Latin, and line dancing. On my latest cruise, the instructors spent every evening in the Wheelhouse, and were there to assist and encourage the people who participated in the classes.

There were other opportunities for dancing as well: at the Princess Captain's Circle repeater parties, before the shows, etc.

I found opportunities to dance more frequent on Princess than on Celebrity.

Joan

Hi,

There is ballroom dancing nightly on Princess ships in the Wheelhouse Lounge. On all of my recent Princess cruises there has been instruction in basic ballroom, Latin, and line dancing.

I found opportunities to dance more frequent on Princess than on Celebrity.

Joan

Sounds wonderful. Was it more popular on one Princess ship than another? I remember dancing around the foyer on Golden Princess when Mauiritio? (sp) played. I would switch lines just to have this opportunity to hold onto my wife more often:D...

Hubby and I were on the Regal Princess and we were thrilled to take dancing lessons with the professional dance instructors, Jamie & Jackie MacVickar (international dance winners, competitors etc.) They provide complementary lessons (Latin dances) on sea days; we enrolled in the private lessons that they give (1.25 hour lessons, 5 lessons total) By the end of the cruise, so many people were dancing Latin, waltz, rhumba etc.

They are very good instructors as they break down the steps (footwork) to real basics. We have taken lessons before, but in large groups etc. The private lessons are limited to 15 couples. They wound up doing 3 separate groups as the interest in dancing spread like wild fire!

Each night we danced in the lounge and Jamie and Jackie were there to give assistance. They have so much patience!

So if you can book on the Regal Princess, do so, but check that the MacVickars are on board! I believe they are taking the summer off.

I have posted the same question on HAL, Princess, RCL, and Celebrity and Princess has the best response and examples so far.

check that the MacVickars are on board

How can one do that. Is there somewhere on their website that allows one to check?

I think there was more ballroom-type dancing on the grand class ships than the sun class....but the Wheelhouse is great on all the ships, in my opinion. We had a great time, especially on the Golden. :)

The Regal has a dedicated lounge for dancing called "The Stage Door." It's a really nice set-up with a band and dancing every single evening. (No Wheelhouse on the Regal -- the Stage Door is MUCH better IMHO and is specifically designed for dancing rather than be a bar that happens to have a dance floor.)

While I haven't taken advantage of the dancing while on a cruise, the people I travel with love to take the classes and spend the evening dancing. There's always been a lounge or room with dancing starting early evening until late at night.

Archived