Question for those who have taken the Churchill pre-extension to the BIE cruise

formernuke

We're scheduled for the BIE with Churchill pre-extension in April 2024, and are starting to do some early planning. Per the itinerary of the pre-extension, the provided tours end after lunch when they return you to the hotel. The question for those who have taken this pre-extension before is approximately what time do you typically get back to the hotel? Since it is after an included lunch and before dinner, I suspect this time could be anywhere from noon to 6 pm.  Trying to think about what to do in the afternoons, but it obviously depends on what time that might be. Any experience you could share would be appreciated.

Also, since we've been to London several times before (and will have just spent an additional 5 days), we've effectively pretty much done all of the ship's London excursions. So we we considering taking a trip down to Portsmouth to see the Royal Navy museum and associated attractions on the second day of the cruise (when the ship is scheduled in port until 10pm). Anyone done this from London and have any recommendations as to tour companies you might have used for this specific tour? We've found several, but they are somewhat expensive, so we're debating just taking the train down and doing it on our own. The tradeoff is potentially losing out on some good guide-provided narration during the trip. So if anyone has had a good experience they would recommend, we'd love to hear.

3 hours ago, formernuke said:

So we we considering taking a trip down to Portsmouth to see the Royal Navy museum and associated attractions on the second day of the cruise (when the ship is scheduled in port until 10pm).

I have never taken the train to Portsmouth, but I highly recommend visiting the Mary Rose Museum and Nelson’s flagship Victory. The Mary Rose is one of the most impressive displays I have ever seen.

When doing our tour of Portsmouth on another cruise they mentioned that rail lines between London and Portsmouth were once the fastest in the country because the ship captains would have to travel to and from the Admiralty in London. The train terminates right near the entrance to the attractions. 

As far a tours in London and outlying areas, I highly recommend London Walks. They have dozens of fascinating walks as well as day trips. Their day trip to Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge is excellent.

8 hours ago, formernuke said:

We're scheduled for the BIE with Churchill pre-extension in April 2024, and are starting to do some early planning. Per the itinerary of the pre-extension, the provided tours end after lunch when they return you to the hotel. The question for those who have taken this pre-extension before is approximately what time do you typically get back to the hotel? Since it is after an included lunch and before dinner, I suspect this time could be anywhere from noon to 6 pm.  Trying to think about what to do in the afternoons, but it obviously depends on what time that might be. Any experience you could share would be appreciated.

Also, since we've been to London several times before (and will have just spent an additional 5 days), we've effectively pretty much done all of the ship's London excursions. So we we considering taking a trip down to Portsmouth to see the Royal Navy museum and associated attractions on the second day of the cruise (when the ship is scheduled in port until 10pm). Anyone done this from London and have any recommendations as to tour companies you might have used for this specific tour? We've found several, but they are somewhat expensive, so we're debating just taking the train down and doing it on our own. The tradeoff is potentially losing out on some good guide-provided narration during the trip. So if anyone has had a good experience they would recommend, we'd love to hear.

A DIY is the way to go Formernuke. Grab a train from London Victoria, the journey is just over 2 hours. It's cheaper to buy the ticket online but you can buy on the day if you'd prefer. There are lots of £ tours available once in Portsmouth but also downloadable self tour guides. Try this one,

https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/portsmouth-2643.html

The central area is really not too large and very manageable on foot. Just work out a plan before you go so you get to see all you want to, download a map. If you choose to go further afield, you could take a bus or grab a taxi. The area is well serviced by public transport.

• Like 1

Just around the corner from the Churchill is the Wallace Collection. My sister lives in London and I’ve been there a jillion times and thought I’d been to about every museum in town. This past September we were staying at the Churchill and found the Wallace. It’s housed in Hertford House, the town house of the Marquess of Hertford. It is definitely worth a visit- beautiful building filled with amazing furniture and artwork. Another fun thing we discovered on this last trip was Brigit’s Tea bus. It’s a double decker bus that takes you around the city while they serve you a cream tea. If you’re there at the right time visiting Buckingham Palace offers visits. So many fun things to do in London!