Neiuw Amsterdam- aft Neptune Suites

acct1975

Hi,

We're looking to do an Alaskan cruise and wondered about how the aft suites were- specifically the balconies, Do they seem to get a lot of soot or diesel smell from the stacks? I've only done an aft cabin once before (different line) and that was a bit of an issue for us. I know we'll be spending a lot of time on our balcony watching the amazing Alaskan scenery but that will put a damper on things if it's smelly and dirty most of the trip.

I've sailed in the corner afts several times, and my last cruise was in a regular aft veranda cabin on Eurodam (sister to NA). I've never had issues with soot or diesel smell in an aft suite or cabin. The wrap-around balcony is wonderful for scenic cruising. If you get a rainy day, you have somewhere close to go inside for a bit and warm up. And at night, if you stand at the corner and look out, there's nothing but you and the sea and the sky.

• Like 3

We were in an aft corner Neptune suite for the 34-day San Diego to Sydney cruise on Noordam.  It was absolutely great and we spent a lot of time on our balcony (weather permitting).  We did not get any soot or smell from the stacks.  The only issue was that we were in the 6th floor starboard stateroom and occasionally (maybe 3 times) had a cigarette smoke smell from the Lido smoking section.  It was transient and only lasted a few minutes, but we could also faintly smell it in our cabin.  If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have any problem booking the same suite.

• Like 1

Been in an aft corner Neptune suite w/wraparound balcony in AK and never had an issue w/soot or smells. As others mentioned, there may be the occasional fuel or tobacco smell if the wind is blowing just so, but that can be said for numerous locations.

Be sure to keep binoculars, blankets and umbrellas handy as that balcony is the best place to be when cruising AK!

The glacier views are awesome, as are the whales and other wildlife.

The jetted tub is also nice at the end of the day...

Enjoy your cruise - hope to see some pictures when you return.

• Like 1