Debating on bidding for an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Candleonwater said:

I meant "full price" more as a "the room went for more than what I would be paying if they accepted my bid". That kind of full price.

Other then RCI and Plusgrade (who administers Royal Up), no one knows what criteria is used to award Royal Up wins and how that may affect regular paid cabins.

I put in bids but at the very minimum amount.  I figure, why not, have nothing to lose and if I win, I get a bigger cabin with some benefits for just a few hundred dollars more.  No, I've never won a bid.  Imagine that! LOL

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I put in bids but at the very minimum amount.  I figure, why not, have nothing to lose and if I win, I get a bigger cabin with some benefits for just a few hundred dollars more.  No, I've never won a bid.  Imagine that! LOL

I opted to do the same.   Put in a minimum bid, if we get it cool, if we don’t we’ll be just as happy with current cabin. 

thanks for the input all!!  

There's folks who swear by the minimum bid...

But I find myself wondering if those folks are the types who are already buying suites.

There could be other things that go into how they choose the bid as well. Did the cruise line sell an extra guarantee cabin or five? Is the room you currently occupy under higher demand? Do they look at the stuff you've pre-booked and purchased and reward those who purchase more extras? 

Anyway, I'm also waiting to hear back on my own minimum bid. I've currently got what I feel is a good room, and only bid on the room that is what I currently have, but with panoramic windows. There's only two of those rooms that I know of, so I doubt it, but good luck to all!

44 minutes ago, PolicromaSol said:

There's folks who swear by the minimum bid...

But I find myself wondering if those folks are the types who are already buying suites.

There could be other things that go into how they choose the bid as well. Did the cruise line sell an extra guarantee cabin or five? Is the room you currently occupy under higher demand? Do they look at the stuff you've pre-booked and purchased and reward those who purchase more extras? 

Anyway, I'm also waiting to hear back on my own minimum bid. I've currently got what I feel is a good room, and only bid on the room that is what I currently have, but with panoramic windows. There's only two of those rooms that I know of, so I doubt it, but good luck to all!

When I put in a bid, it isn't when I already have a suite purchased, only when I have the everyday run-of-the-mill balcony cabin.  

NOTE:  I'm not trying to speak for anyone else.  

On 3/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, Denversail said:

It has been several years but the roughest seas that I recall while cruising was doing the Mexican riviera route. 

42 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

When I put in a bid, it isn't when I already have a suite purchased, only when I have the everyday run-of-the-mill balcony cabin.  

NOTE:  I'm not trying to speak for anyone else.  

This is what we did... have a nice OV large balcony booked, bid one up to a JS.   We'll be happy either way!! 

• Like 1

I have received an upgrade in the past however that was during the 2021 season when people didn't sail that much yet. Usually I never get upgraded, and I just pick the room I want before hand. I upgrade if I have the money or there is some sort of availability of a better cabin.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:41 AM, orville99 said:

We have never bid more than the minimum on any upgrade because we feel the same way, but we have won six times so far with those minimum bids, and unless we are doing a B2B, we will always bid (minimum of course) on every cruise if we are booked in anything lower than a GS.

That’s an amazing track record. Have you had success going from sky class suite to star class suite? If so, had the star suite category shown availablity at the time of your bid or had they been sold out?   

24 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

That’s an amazing track record. Have you had success going from sky class suite to star class suite? If so, had the star suite category shown availability at the time of your bid or had they been sold out?   

They were all going from either JS to Sky class (CLS) on Oasis class ships, or from JS or GS to OS on non Oasis class ships. In virtually every case, the category that we ultimately won showed as sold out when we placed our bids.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

They were all going from either JS to Sky class (CLS) on Oasis class ships, or from JS or GS to OS on non Oasis class ships. In virtually every case, the category that we ultimately won showed as sold out when we placed our bids.

Good to know, thanks.