Proper attire for mosques…

Can anyone give me some guidance on what is acceptable for women to wear to the mosques and other sites. I want to be respectful but am also concerned with overheating.  Thank you!  Photos helpful!

Edited by Retiring2023

The rules may be somewhat more or less strict depending on which country you are visiting. 

For Turkey, everyone must remove their shoes before entering the mosque; they have shelves or cubbies to put then in, or sometimes they will give you a bag to carry them in. (I found it a good idea to bring my own disposable bag, like a plastic grocery bag, just in case I didn't want to leave my shoes in an area where there was little security!).

Socks are not required, but I wouldn't personally go without them.

Shorts and short skirts are not allowed for men or women. Any pants or skirt must at the minimum fully cover the knees.

Similarly, neither men nor women should wear a tank top or sleeveless top. For men, a short-sleeved tee shirt is acceptable. Women should cover their upper arms (e.g., at least an elbow-length shirt. I generally try to wear a 3/4 sleeve if visiting a mosque. It can be something cotton and lightweight.

Also for women -- no low-cut clothing. You should put on a headscarf. You can bring your own (I would) but if you forget, the mosque usually has them available to borrow.

Men, on the other hand, should not wear any kind of hat.

Finally, at some mosques, they may ask you to put on a wrap if you have on clothing that is considered too tight (e.g., leggings) or too short (e.g., a skirt that doesn't follow cover the knee).

Remember, Haghia Sofya is now once again considered a mosque, not a museum (as it was for the past three-quarters of a century....)

Graphic from Turkey Travel Planner site:

image.png.0496fdb1333cc9218f630c120808e4fe.png 

• Like 1

some years ago on a world cruise we had a day in Oman. I wore a long loose fitting silk kaftan style dress (usually a beach cover up) with a drawstring waist, and I carried a large scarf to put over my head  or round my shoulders when needed. I think I wore loose trousers under the dress.  it was cool and comfortable for walking around.