Lima, Peru

gsmt47471015

Just enquiring if anybody was on the Onward in February and managed any shore excursions whilst in Lima or was it just embarkation/disembarkation?. I am just curious as we were there at the same time and were not allowed off the ship and only docked to re-supply

Yes I was on Onward in February.  We were ending the cruise in Lima. We arrived on February 11 in time for an afternoon shore excursion, Glimpse of Lima, which lasted five hours.  There were many people out and about enjoying the city, but there were also many armed police and some streets blocked from pedestrians.  Our guide left a man   behind in a museum because she was  not organized and walked too quickly. That was of great concern and  we did  have someone go find the man  and return him to our group.   We had no Azamara representative in our group. Safety in the city was most probably a concern and may have been mentioned to shore excursion staff upon our return 

We boarded the Onward on February 12 in Lima and went on the same excursion on Monday, February 13. The historical district had many barricades and a lot of police were manning the barricades, but we encountered no problems. I believe that there were several other excursions that morning too.

DH and I scheduled private tours with Haku tours in Lima. Embarkation day we were picked up from the hotel and taken to the central part, historic district for a walking tour. We were dropped off by the tour company at the port. We boarded a bus marked with Azamara and it took us to the ship.

The following day we had another tour with the same company Haku and guide, Leonardo. This time we drove all around Lima, going to a market that the locals frequent (food etc) drove to some other areas. Highly recommend.

it was a bit of an issue to be able to leave the ship area, but the captain (Carl) stepped in and a bus was provided for us to take us outside the port area where the tour guide and driver waited for us. Coming back we had agin to wait for transport into the port area.

We were on the Onward, Feb 12, Lima to Miami cruise. It had an overnight in Lima before proceeding to Salaverry Peru. 

Azamara ran a free shuttle to/from the Inka Market in Miraflores (about 30 - 45 minutes travel time). This was great if you wanted to explore the Miraflores area on your own.

Azamara also ran the normal ship sponsored excursions.

Independent excursions were a bit of a challenge. Lima (Callao) is a very industrial port, with no passenger facilities whatsoever. For our cruise, there was no way to get to the port gate. Independent travelers could only go to Miraflores, as mentioned above. This messed up anyone who was planning to take an independent tour that would pick them up at the port.

• Thanks 1

We were on the same Onward cruise as mercruiser, and we were able to use a shuttle to go to the outside of the port area. We did not go to the market in Miraflores, just to the entrance of the port area where our independent guide and driver picked us up.

It was a bit of a hassle and the captain had to interfere and get us a shuttle, but it did work out in the end.

on the way back, the driver dropped us off at the entrance of the port area and a shuttle took us back to the ship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gardendog said:

We were on the same Onward cruise as mercruiser, and we were able to use a shuttle to go to the outside of the port area. We did not go to the market in Miraflores, just to the entrance of the port area where our independent guide and driver picked us up.

It was a bit of a hassle and the captain had to interfere and get us a shuttle, but it did work out in the end.

on the way back, the driver dropped us off at the entrance of the port area and a shuttle took us back to the ship.

I'm glad the captain made this happen for you. I went down to the customer service desk and was told no port gate shuttles.

Just now, Mercruiser said:

I'm glad the captain made this happen for you. I went down to the customer service desk and was told no port gate shuttles.

It was a group of us waiting to go on the “non existent shuttle”. Captain came out and sorted it for us. We were on different independent tours. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, we could see you on the onward but were unable to make out if you were going on excursions , we were told two weeks prior to arriving that all our trips would be cancelled and nobody would be allowed off the ship (we were due to stay for two days). a few stalls were set up within a tight zone around the ship to buy souvenir's. Kudos to your captain for sorting out your port arrangements, having sailed with Azamara it did not surprise us 🙂 

• Like 1