Villefranche, 2 ships in port.

LB_NJ

It is a tender port so it means more tenders in and out of the tender pier, more folks talking the train, etc.  The port will do fine.  The thing about tendering is that it serves like a metering system for the port since folks come ashore over several hours.  I would guess there will be some congestion at the tender port area (it is relatively compact) but the folks will melt away as they move off to Nice, Monte Carlo, etc.

Hank

7 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I guess I am trying to figure out if we will be waiting for an hour or more to get ashore and then more waiting for very crowded local transportation.

The pier can comfortably handle tenders for both ships

The town (village?) might be crowded but certainly not crowded with one ship, because most folk head to Monte Carlo, Eze or Nice, And neither ship is a leviathan.

Travelling out of Villefranche by train won't be a problem, the capacity is huge.

But I don't know about buses

JB 🙂

• 6 months later...

Anyone know how disembarkation is handled at Villefranche?  Have been there several times and I can’t imagine how

(a) Azamara Quest will handle all the pax and luggage on tenders in a timely fashion 

nor

(b) how that tiny reception building on the quay in Villefranche will cope with receiving pax and luggage. 

Has anyone experienced this?

Its the May 11 2024 Rome to ‘Nice’ cruise. 

On 9/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, cruisingaussies said:

Anyone know how disembarkation is handled at Villefranche?  Have been there several times and I can’t imagine how

(a) Azamara Quest will handle all the pax and luggage on tenders in a timely fashion 

nor

(b) how that tiny reception building on the quay in Villefranche will cope with receiving pax and luggage. 

I mentioned this on another thread, and speculated that, eventually, Azamara will change their port to Monte Carlo (which does not appear to have other ship's scheduled that day in May).  Time will tell,  But using a tender port for embarkation/debarkation is not an easy task, especially if it happens to be a nasty day or a day with rough seas.

Hank

On 9/16/2023 at 11:52 PM, cruisingaussies said:

nor

As per my post in reply to your question on another thread,  simply remove your inverted comas around "Nice" - I think your ship will indeed be berthing in the old port in Nice, not moored off Villefranche sur Mer.

JB 🙂