Mariehamn, Åland Island excursions

Spurlady

Looking for information on this cruise stop.  I searched both this board and the ports board and didn’t find anything.  I would especially like to hear from someone who has done the Getabergen Nature Hike.  Thank you.

• 11 months later...
23 minutes ago, ustowas said:

how was the included tour?

I went back and reread my trip report. here's my post on Mariehamn Aland Island:

Author
Posted June 14, 2023
Day 3, Mariehamn , Arland Island
Final recap.
Took the included  panoramic  bus tour this morning. Out guide was informative about the  history of Arland Islands, the life of islanders, Nordic culture , and  its strategic place during the Cold War and today   in light of the current Russia/ Ukraine war. 

As we drove by the Russian consulate , she pointed out that every day at 5pm there are protest in front  of the building.  They have been  waiting for a meeting with the consular for over a year. No answer to their request.  
She is worried that  "Mr. Putin is  following  in the footsteps of the Russian Czars. "    I got a new appreciation  of  impact  in the minds of everyday people who live closer than any  Americans or cruise passengers to current realities.  

Driving  over 12 island in our two hour bus tour on well maintained  paved roads.  I  found the landscape to be idyllic , scent of pine trees filled the  air,   saw deer running across the road,  drove by small farms. every turn one gets a glimpse of the water,  
Bicycles  are everywhere in the town used by  young  and old, well kept modern sturdy houses with metal roofs. 
Mariehamn is 5 hr  ferry ride from both Finland and Stockholm.
It reminded me of Northern MN ,pine forest, outcrops of rocks ,and water. I see why people come  to this island  during the summer for vacation.
I will  upload pictures in a separate post because slow wifi.
This port was a wonderful surprise."

Today's thoughts. 

There is a free trolley that runs through the town. We  took it from our last excursion  stop  in a small bay with marina. Looking back now we spent too much  time wandering around the town and should have  done more stops near our ship on the  trolly. Also there is a maritime museum next to ship that we did not have time to visit. 

It was  a great day with perfect weather, the best guide and had a great experience of this beautiful island. 

• Like 4