Are NCL’s Alaskan add on land tours very good?

mlbcruiser

Would like some input from those of you who have taken a pre-or post cruise Alaskan land tour with NCL? I noticed some posts by people who are signed up for some on a particular rollcall, and although their cruise is getting close, cannot find out much at all about the tour. Even those who booked directly with NCL cannot seem to get any information. This includes train, hotels they will stay in, and other things. We once did such a tour with Princess and it was wonderful. We did have all of these details well in advance of our cruise. 

thank you for any information.

We did all of this independently because I booked my Alaskan cruise 6 weeks before it sailed, and the cruise tours were sold out.  We were very happy with our independent tour.  It was 12 years ago, so unfortunately I don't have the most up to date information.  There are directions for what we did in the Alaska review, but the Alaska port of call board would be the most helpful if you wanted to do this independently.

I took a pre-cruise a few years ago and it was great.  However, there are many variations, so read the descriptions carefully.  I haven't looked at them recently but for example there used to be 2 different tours in Denali, so it depends on what you are looking for.

They will send you details, not sure how far in advance. Our tour was very well planned, I know waiting is difficult but at the end of the day it's basically show up and they take care of the rest.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the replies. I have to admit, I’m a little nervous about there multi-day, land tours, but good to hear you had a good experience, Julig22.  

kitcat343, i’m not sure if you are referring to a land excursion in port, or an actual multi day tour pre-or post cruise. It’s the multi day tour information I was referring to. Additionally, we did our only other Alaskan cruise six or seven years ago and booked it around this time of year. The cruise was in late May. I tried to find a rental car so that we could do some traveling on land after our cruise. I had read they get taken up fast and that is what I ran into. We had just booked to late. Couldn’t find one, so we ended up on the land tour with Princess and enjoyed it very much. 

Thanks again.

We have done the cruisetour twice with NCL.  Actually, last year only did the land portion as my husband came down with Covid.  Would recommend to anyone.  The hotels were good, only complaint is that there were very slim pickings for restaurants, you usually had to eat at the hotel.  The days started early and went late.  NCL packed tons of interesting tours into the seven days that we spent on land.  Would love to do again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Link to my cruisetour info from 2019.  I don't remember when it was actually sent out.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/jewel_denali_valdez_southbound_2019.pdf

At that time, if you were at all web-savy, you could easily substitute the name of your trip and get the appropriate pdf, not sure if that still works 🙂

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

Link to my cruisetour info from 2019.  I don't remember when it was actually sent out.

At that time, if you were at all web-savy, you could easily substitute the name of your trip and get the appropriate pdf, not sure if that still works 🙂

Wish I was web savvy so I could get info for my August cruise tour 😉  Thank you for the information  at least I an get an idea of what to expect for the land tour portion.

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

I see you started a roll call, Thank you!

We are doing the Authentic Alaska SB in June this year. I have not seen an official itinerary however I found a general brochure from 2022 that covers all of the land tours NCL offers. Remember that NCL farms these tours out to a private company so we are at their mercy.

NCL-AK-Cruisetour-Brochure-May2022-273026.pdf