Question on Mendenhall Glacier and Tram Excursion

Sea Hag

We've mostly sailed Princess in the past, and now we're looking forward to our first cruise on HAL. I'm trying to figure everything out.

We booked HIA, which comes with an excursion credit. I looked around here and found that it probably couldn't be used for anything else, so I looked at excursions. The Mendenhall Glacier and Tram excursion is listed at 3:30 pm, which is later in the day than I like. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to split the excursion by going up the mountain on the tram in the morning and then catching the bus to Mendenhall at whatever time it leaves. Or are we stuck with the whole excursion beginning at 3:30?

Does anyone know on this?

Usually the tram is an "on your own" experience and the bus to the glacier would be at a designated time. On our Eurodam cruise in July the glacier is just after our arrival and the tram is listed as "on-your-own." You can also go multiple times if you want to. I've ridden up and explored in daylight then gone back up closer to closing for the night lights. 

Karen

• Thanks 1

Don’t have an answer to your specific question, but have information.  There are city shuttles that take you to the glacier.  They are right outside when you get off the ship.  They run on a regular schedule so you can stay  choose when to go back to ship.   And you can book the tram right there too.  It’s been a few years since we did Alaska but I think the shuttles were about ten bucks.  Very easy to do.  You might prefer the control you have over your schedule this way.

4 minutes ago, rslinky said:

Don’t have an answer to your specific question, but have information.  There are city shuttles that take you to the glacier.  They are right outside when you get off the ship.  They run on a regular schedule so you can stay  choose when to go back to ship.   And you can book the tram right there too.  It’s been a few years since we did Alaska but I think the shuttles were about ten bucks.  Very easy to do.  You might prefer the control you have over your schedule this way.

Thanks for the reply, but I know this. We used to take the blue bus or white bus or whatever up to the glacier. It used to be really cheap, but not so much anymore. We haven't gone up there in a few years, but since we have the excursion credit and nothing else I want to do with it, I thought we would do this one. 😃

7 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Usually the tram is an "on your own" experience and the bus to the glacier would be at a designated time. On our Eurodam cruise in July the glacier is just after our arrival and the tram is listed as "on-your-own." You can also go multiple times if you want to. I've ridden up and explored in daylight then gone back up closer to closing for the night lights. 

Karen

Good to know. We're sort of late to the party on booking, so I imagine the earlier times were filled. We've gone both places more than once, but not for a few years. 

10 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Can you get just the Glacier by itself?  Then you can buy the tram whenever you want, and possibly even buy it from the shore excursion desk to use up your OBC.

That is a way better idea than what I was going to do! I booked them separately and was able to get a time for Mendenhall that will work out perfectly for us. Some days I'm brighter than others, so thank you for the good notion on one of my less bright days. 😃