Booking on board

pmjnh

We booked a cruise while on board the Koningsdam a month ago and discovered that we would not be able to go at that time of that cruise. My TA transferred the booking to another cruise in the fall. We had no problem transferring the deposit to work for the new cruise but HAL refused to transfer the associated OBC.. my TA even went to the resolutions department and they refused.. 

now, we had to do this once a few years ago and everything, including the OBC transferred over without a snag. Has this happened to anyone else? I do understand there may be certain criteria involved with some of  the OBC but the credits associated with the deposit alone should have transferred over (in my opinion and that of my TA.)

This is why IMO it is better to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit rather than book onboard.  With the FCD you get less OBC upfront, but about 2 weeks after you get home you get an email from HAL offering to basically triple this OBC if you book within the following 60 days.  Net, net is that you end up with the same OBC but you have about 2.5 months to make your reservation from the comfort of your home (thus more time to reflex and research your next cruise).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

We booked a cruise while on board the Koningsdam a month ago and discovered that we would not be able to go at that time of that cruise. My TA transferred the booking to another cruise in the fall. We had no problem transferring the deposit to work for the new cruise but HAL refused to transfer the associated OBC.. my TA even went to the resolutions department and they refused.. 

now, we had to do this once a few years ago and everything, including the OBC transferred over without a snag. Has this happened to anyone else? I do understand there may be certain criteria involved with some of  the OBC but the credits associated with the deposit alone should have transferred over (in my opinion and that of my TA.)

What is the nature of the OBC's for the initial cruise?  Since you didn't day how the OBC'S were associated to the former cruise, it is difficult to answer your questio

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

This is why IMO it is better to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit rather than book onboard.  With the FCD you get less OBC upfront, but about 2 weeks after you get home you get an email from HAL offering to basically triple this OBC if you book within the following 60 days.  Net, net is that you end up with the same OBC but you have about 2.5 months to make your reservation from the comfort of your home (thus more time to reflex and research your next cruise).

Will we get this offer if we also booked while onboard.?  We saw your advice before we sailed, but booked anyway as we had been researching the cruise we wanted for quite some time before we booked..   But we also bought a couple of future cruise deposits and having found a few potential cruises for 2024, we have been waiting for an offer with more OBC.

Thank you all for your responses. We did call HAL and the original OBC associated with the deposit $$ was restored.

The early deposit OBC was forfeited and I can understand this as our upcoming cruise booking was not early booking.

I wasn't aware of Elliott Advocacy but will make note in hopes that we never need to use it!

Lesson learned...we will not be tempted to book on board anymore but we will purchase the FCD's on board for sure.

Thank you all again.

46 minutes ago, badtwin said:

Will we get this offer if we also booked while onboard.?  We saw your advice before we sailed, but booked anyway as we had been researching the cruise we wanted for quite some time before we booked..   But we also bought a couple of future cruise deposits and having found a few potential cruises for 2024, we have been waiting for an offer with more OBC.

Apparently not  - see below terms of offer:

Terms & Conditions
*Shipboard credit offer is not combinable with other shipboard credit offers, is per person and applies only to 1st and 2nd guest in each stateroom. Shipboard credits are in U.S. dollars and apply to new bookings only. Must book by the date listed above.