Help Picking Special Cruise 2024-2025

taylortime05

Hi,

I’d like to pick a great itinerary for a cruise in 2024 or 2025 for me and hubby.  We’ve been to the Caribbean at least 15 times, the Mediterranean twice and Alaska once.

What are some of your favorite itineraries and ships?  

Thank you for your feedback.   

Our first exotic cruise after having done the Caribbean, Alaska, and the Mediterranean was a South American cruise.  We were on a 15 night sailing from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  One of the many highlights was Cape Horn--the southern tip of South America.

The sailing involves a large change in latitude which means you will experience warm and cold weather with corresponding changes in scenery including beaches, glaciers and penguins. 

Celebrity South America Sailings in 2024

image.thumb.jpeg.f4ee62b65eb822570d25aa913778062e.jpeg

Infinity cruising the Beagle Channel on her way to Ushuaia, Argentina, Dec 2016.

image.thumb.jpeg.9aaf61f6d901073a7497f0fb3106ad31.jpeg

Albatross and Cape Horn, Jan 1 2017.

image.thumb.jpeg.04fca09ad46491a153b8ce2934d61e84.jpeg

La Mano at Punta del Este, Uruguay, Jan 2017.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 6

We have lots of favorites, but IMO what's missing from your list is one of the South American itineraries. We've been on 2 cruises to SA and enjoyed both. If you watch pricing you can get a great deal sailing out of Buenos Aires. Be sure to plan extra time for BA if you go there. If money is no object, then consider a Galapagos cruise. 

• Like 2

Baltic cruise even without St Petersburg. We did this is 2022 and loved it. Ports are great and a different vibe than the Mediterranean   Got any money?  Book a suite. 

• Like 5

I'm looking for something special for October 2024 for our 40th anniversary.  Considering Celebrity Solstice on October 1st.  Starts in Honolulu with several stops in French Polynesia and New Zealand and ends in Sydney, Australia.  Add a few days in Hawaii  and a few in Australia... I'd say that's pretty special.  Just wanted to do something different than the Caribbean and I have no interest in Europe.

• Like 9

Our most favourite so far was our Antarctica cruise on the Infinity.  We love that ship and Antarctica was magical.

Another favourite was the Panama Canal (full transit, again on Infinity). 

Norway (fjords) and Iceland were great as well (I think that was Eclipse - not our favourite ship but we like the smaller ones).  Iceland is like a whole other world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@AmberCascades and @mahdnc 

Sorry, I'm kinda hijacking this thread but my question may also help the OP. Since you've sailed Antarctica can you share if you have regrets of "no Landings" 

I am researching an Antarctica cruise vs Expeditions, I get so overwhelmed by the logistics and costs.(Expeditions are most likely not in our comfort zone, I'd prefer several vacations to one) We've sailed Alaska, Caribbean and Europe many times. Seeing penguins is on my bucket list but I'd hate to just see black and white dots 🐧

I am also concerned of so many sea days? When we sail we often jam pack our port days and sea days can get monotonous. 

Thanks for any input, 
Patty 

Some great ideas in this thread.

I'd throw Asia into the list.  It's on "list" for 2025, likely Japan, but we haven't booked anything yet.

Another option would be to do a river cruise, We did the Nile about 15 years ago, and it's high on our favourites list.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Sorry, I'm kinda hijacking this thread but my question may also help the OP. Since you've sailed Antarctica can you share if you have regrets of "no Landings" 

I am researching an Antarctica cruise vs Expeditions, I get so overwhelmed by the logistics and costs.(Expeditions are most likely not in our comfort zone, I'd prefer several vacations to one) We've sailed Alaska, Caribbean and Europe many times. Seeing penguins is on my bucket list but I'd hate to just see black and white dots 🐧

I am also concerned of so many sea days? When we sail we often jam pack our port days and sea days can get monotonous. 

Thanks for any input, 
Patty 

Patty,

Our South America cruise did not include Antarctica (nor the Falkland Islands).  So I cannot help you.  

I can say that on the South America cruise (without Antarctica), you can see penguins up close and personal.  There are a couple of ports that provide the opportunity.  For us, it was when Infinity called on Punta Arenas.  There is a shorex that takes you to Isla Magdalena which is a Chilean national park island devoted to the Magellanic penguin.  However they are different than the classic Emperor penguin that is endemic to Antarctica.

David

image.thumb.jpeg.bb584aeb7b04f8e5bd9879d2b3929404.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I booked a 13 night sailing on the Edge which is my favorite ship.  Starts in Vancouver on 9/20/24 and ends in Honolulu.  I’ve never been to Hawaii or Vancouver so I plan on tacking on a few days on each end to explore.  I’ve also wanted to try a TA sometime.  This itinerary includes five days at sea after leaving Astoria, Oregon( first port after Vancouver) so this cruise gives me a taste of that experience as well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Patty,

Our South America cruise did not include Antarctica (nor the Falkland Islands).  So I cannot help you.  

I can say that on the South America cruise (without Antarctica), you can see penguins up close and personal.  There are a couple of ports that provide the opportunity.  For us, it was when Infinity called on Punta Arenas.  There is a shorex that takes you to Isla Magdalena which is a Chilean national park island devoted to the Magellanic penguin.  However they are different than the classic Emperor penguin that is endemic to Antarctica.

David

Thank you, I mis-read your post, oops!

Seeing these lil' guys would make my heart smile! I am also reading a bit on South America since I can see Penguins, escape Ohio Winters and I saw a few posts mention Iguazu Falls, looks amazing! Could be a Win Win! 

Patty 

I'll probably get scolded for jumping cruise lines for this discussion,  but I just booked a 27 day sailing on Holland  America to the Amazon for  Feb 2025.  It goes R/T from Ft Lauderdale, the only way I have found to see that region without any flights to and from South America  involved. 

It includes several Caribbean stops on the way down and on the way back, so it's almost like 3 cruises in one. The Amazon region has always fascinated me, and it is losing it's natural resources by the day.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Thanks for any input, 
Patty 

We have been twice: 1 a cruise by with Celebrity the other an expedition cruise on Hurtigriten. There is no comparison the only way to do Antarctica is with landings. Look closely at X the only penguins are in the Falklands (a long excursion not included in the cost) or mainland South America also not included in the cost. Forget about fancy cabins (you will be out and about all day), book early for the best choices. If you are really into penguins (checkout our CC name )you must include South Georgia for tens of thousands of them. It’s truly a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

We have been twice: 1 a cruise by with Celebrity the other an expedition cruise on Hurtigriten. There is no comparison the only way to do Antarctica is with landings. Look closely at X the only penguins are in the Falklands (a long excursion not included in the cost) or mainland South America also not included in the cost. Forget about fancy cabins (you will be out and about all day), book early for the best choices. If you are really into penguins (checkout our CC name )you must include South Georgia for tens of thousands of them. It’s truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you,

I've read several of your posts, looks like you had a wonderful adventure! 

Patty 

45 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Thanks for any input, 
Patty 

Hi Patty,

I have NO regrets about no landings.  We saw penguins up close and personal in Punta Tombo (I forget which port stop, but it wasn't Falklands) which was an excursion and we did pay extra for it.  We went with a private group and we beat the Celebrity buses so no crowds.  We kept to the paths but the penguins can't read signs so they just wandered everywhere.  

We also had a couple of wonderful days in Buenos Aires before we left, we really enjoyed Montevideo, we shared a taxi with someone from our rollcall group when we were in Ushuaia.  For us it was a perfect trip.

It depends on what kind of trip you are looking for.  My DH likes the "comforts" of the MDR and the nightly shows and late night dancing, so he would be bored on a small ship, even though they keep you busy all the time.  It is also very, very expensive (for us anyway).  We had a great time in all our ports and we loved the sea days.   Alejandro Tortorelli was our CD and he kept us busy and entertained on all the sea days.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cw2go said:

Thank you,

I've read several of your posts, looks like you had a wonderful adventure! 

Patty 

It was fantastic. We are currently at DFW waiting for a flight to Fort Lauderdale for a transatlantic. If you would like more info please email me: geoffanita at hotmail dot com and I will get back to you    when we get home in 3 weeks time. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kathynorth said:

We have lots of favorites, but IMO what's missing from your list is one of the South American itineraries. We've been on 2 cruises to SA and enjoyed both. If you watch pricing you can get a great deal sailing out of Buenos Aires. Be sure to plan extra time for BA if you go there. If money is no object, then consider a Galapagos cruise. 

Yes Galapagos sure was my fav. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Patty,

David

No real chance of Emperors but Kings in tens of thousands in South Georgia. 

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

It was fantastic. We are currently at DFW waiting for a flight to Fort Lauderdale for a transatlantic. 

Very nice.  Enjoy your cruise!

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Our first exotic cruise after having done the Caribbean, Alaska, and the Mediterranean was a South American cruise.  We were on a 15 night sailing from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  One of the many highlights was Cape Horn--the southern tip of South America.

The sailing involves a large change in latitude which means you will experience warm and cold weather with corresponding changes in scenery including beaches, glaciers and penguins. 

Celebrity South America Sailings in 2024

image.thumb.jpeg.f4ee62b65eb822570d25aa913778062e.jpeg

Infinity cruising the Beagle Channel on her way to Ushuaia, Argentina, Dec 2016.

image.thumb.jpeg.9aaf61f6d901073a7497f0fb3106ad31.jpeg

Albatross and Cape Horn, Jan 1 2017.

image.thumb.jpeg.04fca09ad46491a153b8ce2934d61e84.jpeg

La Mano at Punta del Este, Uruguay, Jan 2017.

Thank you so much for the great photo’s.  I’m going to start looking at the South America itineraries.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Thank you for the great suggestions.   There are few posts suggesting South American itineraries.  I’m going to start looking at some of these.   I’ve looked at the Galapagos before and they were quite pricey.  Maybe if the stock market starts heading in a positive direction we’ll have some extra money to consider the Galapagos.