My Time Dining.......but not really?

rg123

2 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

As I was reading the comments, I had another thought. Silly me! Anthem does not have three floors of dining but it does have four MDRs on two decks. I have read that two are traditional and two are MTD. Am I correct in that? Second, Anthem has the Solarium Bistro which is a combination of buffet (starters) and sit-down (main courses) with dessert a buffet. To me that sounds like a viable option.

On our first cruise in 2002, that’s how WJ was for dinner.  We ate there every night. The entrees were just about the same as in the MDR and the atmosphere was less stuffy.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:24 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Why does RCI have such a problem handling this when all of their competitors post Covid handle MTD with no problem whatsoever starting about 530?  On Carnival you check in on their app and you're given an approximate time you need to wait.  When your slot clears, you get a confirmation.  We spent 12 days on the Oasis last June and switched to early on board.  When we were done about 645-700 each night, the line snaked all over the place.  This, combined with Dynamic Pricing with the drinks package is what makes us book more cruises with other lines.

75% of Royal cruisers book traditional. Mtd starts at 6:45, that is after one of the traditional early dining rooms are empty. They have been starting some early traditional early to get MTD started sooner.  Even though MTD starts at 6:45 the line starts before 6. Early and late are first to fill, many who want traditional are forced into MTD. 

On 3/25/2023 at 4:24 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Why does RCI have such a problem handling this when all of their competitors post Covid handle MTD with no problem whatsoever starting about 530?  On Carnival you check in on their app and you're given an approximate time you need to wait.  When your slot clears, you get a confirmation. 

I've been reading this topic with unfeigned surprise.  I'm a little startled about how poorly Royal handles MTD as compared to YTD ("Your time dining") on Carnival.   After checking in on the Carnival app, which allocates tables in realtime dynamically, we've only had to wait longer than ten minutes once, on "cruise elegant" night, for our party of 7...extending back through 3 cruises (Horizon, Mardi Gras, Magic).   The longest wait was around 25 minutes.  

It's especially surprising considering many people select their MTD timeslots on Royal pre-cruise.  That should let the dining staff know exactly what sort of volume to expect in advance.  

Edited by Pellaz
clarity

5 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

I've been reading this topic with unfeigned surprise.  I'm a little startled about how poorly Royal handles MTD as compared to YTD ("Your time dining") on Carnival.   After checking in on the Carnival app, which allocates tables in realtime dynamically, we've only had to wait longer than ten minutes once, on "cruise elegant" night, for our party of 7...extending back through 3 cruises (Horizon, Mardi Gras, Magic).   The longest wait was around 25 minutes.  

It's especially surprising considering many people select their MTD timeslots on Royal pre-cruise.  That should let the dining staff know exactly what sort of volume to expect in advance.  

They do know exactly how many are signed up for MTD.  Problem is most do not want a set time so they do not make reservations, secondly most of those signed up want to eat at the 6:45 opening. That is why even though dining opens at 6:45 people are lining up without reservations at 6. The MTD room is almost empty at 8:30 though it still serves until after 9. Early traditional fills fast, then late seating fills, some who want early or late find nothing available when booking a few months before their cruise and are forced into MTD. Royal needs to scrap MTD and go back to only traditional.  MTD seems to work for almost no one.  Specialty, Windjammer and the Bistro can be accessed for any time you want. 

31 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

They do know exactly how many are signed up for MTD.  Problem is most do not want a set time so they do not make reservations, secondly most of those signed up want to eat at the 6:45 opening. That is why even though dining opens at 6:45 people are lining up without reservations at 6. The MTD room is almost empty at 8:30 though it still serves until after 9. Early traditional fills fast, then late seating fills, some who want early or late find nothing available when booking a few months before their cruise and are forced into MTD. Royal needs to scrap MTD and go back to only traditional.  MTD seems to work for almost no one.  Specialty, Windjammer and the Bistro can be accessed for any time you want. 

How do you know the bolded?  Vs that's when they're FORCED to sign up because it's the earliest time available?

• Like 1

We wanted early traditional and would have reserved 6:45 (not because that’s what we preferred-but better than nothing.) and you’re right-we are forced into having 7:30 My Time since it’s the earliest available. Not even close to when we wanted to eat. Lousy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

They do know exactly how many are signed up for MTD.  Problem is most do not want a set time so they do not make reservations, secondly most of those signed up want to eat at the 6:45 opening. That is why even though dining opens at 6:45 people are lining up without reservations at 6.

It's been a long time since I've cruised RCCL with ANY dining times.  The music charter I go on is open seating each night, with only the lowest level of three open in the MDR, and there's never a wait.

Are you saying that traditional set-time dining only opens at 6:45?   I'm used to a 6:00 pm start on Carnival, and I think their YTD opens at 5:30?  5:45?  

2 hours ago, Pellaz said:

It's been a long time since I've cruised RCCL with ANY dining times.  The music charter I go on is open seating each night, with only the lowest level of three open in the MDR, and there's never a wait.

Are you saying that traditional set-time dining only opens at 6:45?   I'm used to a 6:00 pm start on Carnival, and I think their YTD opens at 5:30?  5:45?  

Traditional seating typically is  5 or 5:30 these days with MT starting at 6:30 I believe or more often 6:45

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Royal needs to scrap MTD and go back to only traditional.  MTD seems to work for almost no one.  Specialty, Windjammer and the Bistro can be accessed for any time you want. 

If MTD seems to work for almost no one, then how do you explain the fact that NCL operates with 100% MTD and zero traditional early/late seating?

The problem is that RCI doesn't know how to do it properly like all of their competition.  Start it at 530 instead of 645 and then when all of the people start lining up at 600, they can be seated instead of having to wait 45 minutes.

• Like 1

I wonder if the problem is trying to do both?   There has to be empty seats from Traditional dining when people eat elsewhere.  If the table has people on it, they couldn't add MTD people.  But, if it was all MTD, then they could fill the tables as people arrived and mostly fill them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If MTD seems to work for almost no one, then how do you explain the fact that NCL operates with 100% MTD and zero traditional early/late seating?

The problem is that RCI doesn't know how to do it properly like all of their competition.  Start it at 530 instead of 645 and then when all of the people start lining up at 600, they can be seated instead of having to wait 45 minutes.

The simple reason that NCL 'Freestyle' dining works (and works well) is because there whole dining system is geared that way ! 

Royal on the other hand wants to compete with NCL on this issue , but is unwilling to drop traditional dining altogether... Based on the number of complaints and what I've experienced recently ,Trying to merge the 2 systems clearly has too many faults and needs to be adressed !

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

The simple reason that NCL 'Freestyle' dining works (and works well) is because there whole dining system is geared that way ! 

Royal on the other hand wants to compete with NCL on this issue , but is unwilling to drop traditional dining altogether... Based on the number of complaints and what I've experienced recently ,Trying to merge the 2 systems clearly has too many faults and needs to be adressed !

Cheers

But Royal used to do it with no issues.  What did they change, why did they change it, and do they realize there's a problem now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But Royal used to do it with no issues.  What did they change, why did they change it, and do they realize there's a problem now?

I never attempted MTD before the shutdown and can only speak to the disaster I have witnessed in the 3 cruises since returning last fall. Also noteworthy ... It is not just MTD that is all mucked up as you stated , because of this , but it has also apparently  led to the overpromising of Early TD spots that aren't actually available. I'm 3 for 3 since return showing up with Confirmed? Early dining only to show up to find I have no table at all !! And a herd of people in line to resolve the same ...

Makes no sense If they were operating this smoothly at one point and can no longer seem to get it right , but for now it's a ***** show

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I never attempted MTD before the shutdown and can only speak to the disaster I have witnessed in the 3 cruises since returning last fall. Also noteworthy ... It is not just MTD that is all mucked up as you stated , because of this , but it has also apparently  led to the overpromising of Early TD spots that aren't actually available. I'm 3 for 3 since return showing up with Confirmed? Early dining only to show up to find I have no table at all !! And a herd of people in line to resolve the same ...

Makes no sense If they were operating this smoothly at one point and can no longer seem to get it right , but for now it's a ***** show

Cheers

We did MTD on our first cruise in 2013 on Oasis and had no issues.  Even ended up at the same table/servers about half way through the cruise.  I'm pretty sure back then they used two dining rooms for traditional and one for MTD.  We were bought down to one of the "traditional" dining rooms one night (I guess as overflow).  

There's really no reason to over promise a traditional dining slot.  They know how many seats they have available.  When it's full, it's full.  If someone doesn't show, then use that table for MTD that night.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We did MTD on our first cruise in 2013 on Oasis and had no issues.  Even ended up at the same table/servers about half way through the cruise.  I'm pretty sure back then they used two dining rooms for traditional and one for MTD.  We were bought down to one of the "traditional" dining rooms one night (I guess as overflow).  

There's really no reason to over promise a traditional dining slot.  They know how many seats they have available.  When it's full, it's full.  If someone doesn't show, then use that table for MTD that night.

Exactly ... No reason !! yet it is common practice. My only guess is that they think if people knew they were going to get assigned a time which can easily be 2 hours outside of their normal dining time, that maybe they would reconsider and book a different cruise ...? 

This way they at least have you aboard , and just have to deal with the ramifications on the spot...? 

Seems like a shortsighted business practice but I have no other guess.

Also , I had no idea that MTD went back that far . I'm assuming they rolled that out on the Oasis class then maybe ? 

Our first Oasis class was 2019 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, taglovestocruise said:

75% of Royal cruisers book traditional. Mtd starts at 6:45, that is after one of the traditional early dining rooms are empty. They have been starting some early traditional early to get MTD started sooner.  Even though MTD starts at 6:45 the line starts before 6. Early and late are first to fill, many who want traditional are forced into MTD. 

RCI has created a cycle.  They changed MTD (for the worse), so cruisers who would chose MTD react by asking for traditional dining, and RCI uses that “increasing demand for traditional dining” to justify their cuts to MTD, expanding the change to more ships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

Carnival, Celebrity and Princess have both traditional as well as their version of MTD and handle it substantially better than RCI.  So obviously these cruise lines have been able to handle the two types of seating with substantially less hiccups that Royal.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:01 AM, rg123 said:

We are on a 13 day cruise in October and would like early dining. At this time we are waitlisted leaving us with My Time Dining which begins at 6:45. However, the earliest time available is 7:30 every night which I know many people may like. However, this is rather late for us and really isn't "our time" and isn't the best due to a medical condition. Our time could be anywhere between 5:00-6:30. We wouldn't mind eating in the WJ upon occasion, but not every evening. What are the chances that early dining may open up or that we could make alternate arrangements once on board?

That's why I have always said it should be called "Their Time Dining." Everyone posts... just go to MDR upon boarding but that no longer works! We are D+ with nearly 50 cruises and have been denied early dining many times when trying to change MTD to main early. So Windjammer it is!

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Error
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

That's why I have always said it should be called "Their Time Dining." Everyone posts... just go to MDR upon boarding but that no longer works! We are D+ with nearly 50 cruises and have been denied early dining many times when trying to change MTD to main early. So Windjammer it is!

Very frustrating and discouraging. We enjoy WJ and usually do breakfast and lunch there each day, with a few Solarium Bistros thrown in. But we don’t want to do dinner there each evening as well. Would like (and expect) a more upscale dinner service without paying extra for the specialty restaurants. 
Meals in the dining room don’t seem like much to ask for considering this is all part of the cruise experience that we pay for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rg123 said:

Very frustrating and discouraging. We enjoy WJ and usually do breakfast and lunch there each day, with a few Solarium Bistros thrown in. But we don’t want to do dinner there each evening as well. Would like (and expect) a more upscale dinner service without paying extra for the specialty restaurants. 
Meals in the dining room don’t seem like much to ask for considering this is all part of the cruise experience that we pay for. 

Agreed. We did B3B on Explorer. We were promised the same 2 top against the back wall as on wk 1 for wk 2  & 3. On turn around day we were at a 6 top. Explained the promise... can't do anything we are full. Get the headwaiter who promised table. Sorry, we forgot! But full now. Will call your cabin if we get a 2 top. They never called until the night we were packing but only to ask us to be sure to leave the best for them on the survey. From a waiter we never met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Agreed. We did B3B on Explorer. We were promised the same 2 top against the back wall as on wk 1 for wk 2  & 3. On turn around day we were at a 6 top. Explained the promise... can't do anything we are full. Get the headwaiter who promised table. Sorry, we forgot! But full now. Will call your cabin if we get a 2 top. They never called until the night we were packing but only to ask us to be sure to leave the best for them on the survey. From a waiter we never met.

Good grief!