Viking Excursions In Split, Croatia

jc522

Here is the list. If you have done any of them please comment Pro or Con.

Split Walking Tour

Ancient Salona & Medieval Trogir

Cetina River Cruise & Split Walking Tour

Flavors of the Dalmatian Coast

Highlights of the Split Riviera

The Krka Waterfalls & Town of Skradin

Meštrovic Gallery & Diocletian Palace

Krka National Park Walk

Charming Trogir & Village Heritage

Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center

We did the included walking tour last year and were happy with it. We had an informative  guide, responsive to questions, a small group with good mobility. The tour focussed on Diocletian’s palace and then branched into the more picturesque of the old town streets. We stayed in town for lunch in a wine bar and bought some nice, reasonably priced olive wood bowls. Nice place.

We haven’t done the Viking tours but have visited Split a few times.

Walking tour - fairly easy, ground generally flat but cobbled in parts. Some steps up and down along the way.

Krka waterfalls - if you do the trail you need good mobility as many steps up and down.

17 hours ago, jc522 said:

Here is the list. If you have done any of them please comment Pro or Con.

Split Walking Tour

Ancient Salona & Medieval Trogir

Flavors of the Dalmatian Coast

Highlights of the Split Riviera

Meštrovic Gallery & Diocletian Palace

Krka National Park Walk

Charming Trogir & Village Heritage

Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center

We took the walking tour; it was decent enough, included an interesting walk through Diocletian's Palace. 

This was in mid-March 2022, when all of Italy still had a rule that cruise passengers couldn't tour alone without a tour guide; we spent 5 days on our own in Rome, which was great, but in all the stops, we had to stay with our group. By the time we reached Split, we were dying to walk free in the city, and left the excursion a bit prematurely, so that we could wander through town.

Shopping is fun there; we also found a great restaurant along the waterfront, where we had a delicious meal--highly recommended, just pick out one of the many.

I wish we'd seen the Krka waterfalls, but we've seen the biggest in the world (Niagara, Victoria Falls), so didn't want to spend our day there. In hindsight, from what others told us, I think it would've been a good excursion.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jc522 said:

We did this last September and can only give it 5 out of 10

The main issue was that the description suggested we would take the river cruise first, followed by the walking tour. Our plan was then to stay on in Split to explore further our own.

In the event we got a rather truncated walking tour first, followed by the river cruise. The river cruise was okay, but used boats with rather noisy outboard motors. After a reasonable snack at a riverside restaurant we were then returned directly to the ship as traffic congestion prevented us from being dropped off in Split. This meant retracing our steps for 15 to 20 minutes back along the road into town that the bus has just driven down.

As we still had a QuietVox units with us we "tagged-on" to one of the included walking tours that we came across. This guide turned out to be excellent (and was tipped accordingly!) We saw and learnt much more about the town from him than we had done on the walking part of the paid for tour.

Bottom Line....... We found Split to be a fascinating and photogenic town in its own right. Unless you have a strong reason to do otherwise, I would suggest taking the included walking tour, and then exploring further at your own pace before returning to the ship.

• Like 1

The river cruise is decent fun, not great but good.  Ends at a restaurant featuring music & snacks then a bus ride back to Split.
The Split walking tour is quite good with 
an interesting walk through Diocletian's Palace. Worth taking. You can take it alone as the included tour.
Having been there if you have all day in port consider taking a local boat ride on your own to interesting places. Looking into this.

Edited by philw1776

On 3/19/2023 at 10:01 AM, photopro2 said:

Bottom Line....... We found Split to be a fascinating and photogenic town in its own right. Unless you have a strong reason to do otherwise, I would suggest taking the included walking tour, and then exploring further at your own pace before returning to the ship.

I totally agree; the walking tour is nice, and the town's a great one for wandering in and out of all the shops. We had one of our best meals on the seaside there, too.

• Like 1

The ship docks fairly close to town.  We took the walking tour and then returned to the ship for lunch.  After lunch we took a bike tour that we had arranged privately and saw a lot more of the area with a local.  A fantastic afternoon and highly recommended if you are that way inclined.

• Like 1

Krka park waterfalls and falconry is an excellent tour.  Yes, there is walking (and some steps) but the falls are incredible (as is the park) and the guy at the falconry is quirky but funny and the birds deserve your support.  We loved this tour.

• Like 1

For a first visit to Split, probably best to do the walking tour, see the city, eat or drink in a waterfront cafe etc. Split has great atmosphere.   We are just back from Viking Sky that included Split and having been there at least four times, we did the falconry and Krka and absolutely agree with PRH that it was a fantastic, UNIQUE tour.  We've done the Cetina River and Trogir tours, both on another cruise line, and frankly liked both of them too, but still stand by that if it's a first visit, it really should be the walking tour.

How long is the drive on the Krka waterfall excursion?

We just received an email from Viking notifying use that the Sky will be leaving Venice late this coming Monday (10:00 PM instead of 3:00 PM) and arriving at Split at 1:00 PM instead of 8:00 AM. 

The email states that excursion times will be adjusted and to check when we board. 

The email also states that it’s due to tides but I have a feeling it’s leaving Venice late because Italian air traffic controllers are striking from 1-5 PM on embarkation day and this is just a buffer to allow affected passengers to arrive in time.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just received an email from from Viking notifying use that the Sky will be leaving Venice late this coming Monday (10:00 PM instead of 3:00 PM) and arriving at Split at 1:00 PM instead of 8:00 AM. 

The email states that excursion times will be adjusted and to check when we board. 

The email also states that it’s due to tides but I have a feeling it’s leaving Venice late because Italian air traffic controllers are striking from 1-5 PM on embarkation day and this is just a buffer to allow affected passengers to arrive in time.

I don’t remember.  Maybe an hour?  We went to the falconry first and then to the park—which may be on the way back?  Sorry.

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just received an email from Viking notifying use that the Sky will be leaving Venice late this coming Monday (10:00 PM instead of 3:00 PM) and arriving at Split at 1:00 PM instead of 8:00 AM. 

We had similar adjustment to our Chioggia/Split schedule last week - with no substantial notice - I'd have to look thru my papers to see exactly when we found out.   I agree that I think it had something to do with the flight situation into Venice as I would guess they would want to hold the ship in Venice to allow as many people as possible to board.   DH and I laughed about the tide thing.  We are definitely NOT mariners, but we do know that there is such a thing as a tide chart and the tides in Venice should not have been a surprise to Viking.  Give us some credit!   We still did our planned Chioggia routine - VOYO the first day, Verona the second day, Chioggia walking tour the third day.  I don't know if others modified their Venice or Split plans based on the revised timing or if Viking allowed revisions to booked tours.  What it did impact was our falconry/Krka tour in Split, which was supposed to be, I think, falcons/Krka/lunch, which ended up to be falcons/Krka/dinner.  Nonetheless, DH ate a full ship dinner that night - I modified mine to an appetizer or two.  I felt bad for those on the tour that had Manfredi's that night as they could not possibly have been hungry, unless they were long-lost siblings of DH.  FWIW, if I recall, the drive from falcons to Krka wasn't that long.  Half an hour?  If you're planning on falcons/Krka, I'd continue on with the plan because it's a great excursion, but I would not follow it with Manfredi reservations.  What to do about adjusting Venice plans to fit the new timing is a whole other ball game....

I had stayed at Split for holidays before. I would say for one day,  Split is a very interesting town to wonder around. Lots of things to see, nice food and bars, great shoes shopping! Krka waterfalls is wonderful if you are interested in nature. Beautiful, crystal clear water and very organised. The waterfall national park can be very busy. I have enclosed a couple of photos of the waterfall.

D85FFCE0-50CB-451F-A060-5A5AE65AB826.jpeg

159E6450-CCB1-4250-B0C9-2B83CEB3611E.jpeg

Edited by Emmauk
  • Like 1

Details on a different excursion. 

In the spring of 2022, we enjoyed the Meštrovic Gallery & Diocletian Palace excursion. A short bus ride and some history provided. Less than 20 on the excursion and no other groups at the gallery. So, it was a very delightful environment. About an hour in the gallery and small grounds. If desired, a few minutes in the tiny gift shop. Back on the bus for the return trip to the old town and palace. About a 45 minute walking tour with expected narration. At the conclusion of the formal excursion, a choice to stay in town or return to the ship via bus. We stayed in town and had about a 15 minute walk back to the ship.  

Despite the two of us having different interest and appreciation of art/sculpture, we were both very happy with the excursion. We also both enjoyed the time in the palace and old town. 

20 minutes ago, 20Cruise20 said:

Details on a different excursion. 

In the spring of 2022, we enjoyed the Meštrovic Gallery & Diocletian Palace excursion. A short bus ride and some history provided. Less than 20 on the excursion and no other groups at the gallery. So, it was a very delightful environment. About an hour in the gallery and small grounds. If desired, a few minutes in the tiny gift shop. Back on the bus for the return trip to the old town and palace. About a 45 minute walking tour with expected narration. At the conclusion of the formal excursion, a choice to stay in town or return to the ship via bus. We stayed in town and had about a 15 minute walk back to the ship.  

Despite the two of us having different interest and appreciation of art/sculpture, we were both very happy with the excursion. We also both enjoyed the time in the palace and old town. 

Good to know. We have booked this excursion and will be there next week. I will be doing a live post of our cruise starting later today.

• Thanks 1