Packing for 15 day Transatlantic

On 3/18/2023 at 5:25 PM, Debsdogs4 said:

Packing advice for 15 Transatlantic in October 2023 to Europe on Odessey

carry ons !

Only way I will travel for the forseeable future .

DW and I did Back to back 7 followed by 8 day with 2 extra days on each end in October , and managed nicely

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

It's not the space, but the weight for many people on a cruise with airlines?  If two of us are going on a 15 day trip, we would each have a 50lb bag, and a carry-on bag each.  If I really needed it, I would just bring a second 50lb bag, and pay the airline fee for it, before I pay the cruise line to destroy my clothes.  Outside of that, remember to wear each item more than once, the temps will not be that hot, and you won't be sweating in it.  Basically 15 underwear, and a 7 day supply of clothing and that is plenty

Valid point

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Any advice for 274 days 🤣

Wow 274 days that's awesome!  We finally tried a mini b2b 4nt/5nt and now have 2 7nt each b2b's booked for Sept then Nov and were also wondering about packing, doing laundry, etc..  It would be great to see a post after your long cruise how y'all managed everything from packing to laundry, rewearing and then I might need an extra suitcase for all the souvenirs after that long of a cruise.  Enjoy your cruise!

23 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Good job Theresa. I leave Wed. for Sydney for my 54 night adventure on Ovation. 1 large and 1 med suitcase packed full. Love packing cubes for sure. Have fun!

Is that just for one person?  We are doing 57 nights next year around Australia and NZ.  I’m thinking besides carry ons we will need 2  25 inch bags each.  I hate to pay the bag fees but that’s a long time to gone and I don’t want to do laundry more then every 10 days or so. Plus it will be hot and then chilly like Alaska during that trip. We will need raincoats, jackets as well as snorkel gear. 

I use packing cubes and compression packing cubes, they have double zippers to compress them.  Weight of course is the same on checked bags but I can fit more in with the compression ones. I love tossing them on the shelves on the Oasis class and unpacking is done.

I also love my cruiser/ garment suitcases. I think that’s really the name for them.  All the dress clothes go on wire hangers in dry cleaning bags.  Hook the hangers in the bag, zip it up.  Unzip and hang the clothes on the ship.  Easy.   We spend a lot less time packing to come home too. ( The worst part of any cruise.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Is that just for one person?  We are doing 57 nights next year around Australia and NZ.  I’m thinking besides carry ons we will need 2  25 inch bags each.  I hate to pay the bag fees but that’s a long time to gone and I don’t want to do laundry more then every 10 days or so. Plus it will be hot and then chilly like Alaska during that trip. We will need raincoats, jackets as well as snorkel gear. 

Yes, just me. One 29” and one 24”. I will be cruising South Pacific, NZ, TP, Hawaii, and then Alaska, so need both warm and cool weather clothes. I have been tossing around my carry on, and decided on my 40L backpack. I have my clothesline packed with my magnetic hooks. I get 2 free bags on Qantas with Premium Economy and 70lbs each. I won’t need that much, but if I’m a bit over 50, I won’t need to stress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Yes, just me. One 29” and one 24”. I will be cruising South Pacific, NZ, TP, Hawaii, and then Alaska, so need both warm and cool weather clothes. I have been tossing around my carry on, and decided on my 40L backpack. I have my clothesline packed with my magnetic hooks. I get 2 free bags on Qantas with Premium Economy and 70lbs each. I won’t need that much, but if I’m a bit over 50, I won’t need to stress.

This trip sounds awesome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

It's not the space, but the weight for many people on a cruise with airlines?  If two of us are going on a 15 day trip, we would each have a 50lb bag, and a carry-on bag each.  If I really needed it, I would just bring a second 50lb bag, and pay the airline fee for it, before I pay the cruise line to destroy my clothes.  Outside of that, remember to wear each item more than once, the temps will not be that hot, and you won't be sweating in it.  Basically 15 underwear, and a 7 day supply of clothing and that is plenty

When I responded to this earlier with 

"Valid Point " I meant to highlight this point... Soooo 

Valid point ! 

What would I pack for 15 days?  At a glance:  

- For dinners:  3-4 nice dresses, 2 pairs of pants (neither one black), 4 dressy tops ... you don't get messy or sweaty at dinner, so I'd plan to wear each one twice ... and in 15 days I would do casual a couple nights 

- For daytime wear:  4-5 casual dresses, 5 bottoms (skirts, shorts, whatever), 12 tops ... I'd hang things that I'd worn only to breakfast, etc. ... and wear things "on their last legs" for shore excursions, knowing they'd get sweaty and could not be worn again. 

- Two layering pieces:  A thin sweater and a rain jacket (because I wouldn't let rain stop me on shore stops).  

- For the pool:  With all those at-sea days, 3 swimsuits + 3 cover-ups 

- For the gym:  2 shorts + tees ... I'd have to wash these a couple times 

- Shoes:  2 pair of comfortable daytime shoes comfortable for walking ... probably a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of walking sandals ... 1 pair of dressy wedges in a basic color that'd match all my dinner things ... and a pair of pool shoes 

- Miscellaneous:  2 nightgowns, a couple pairs of socks (though I don't wear them often), and small clothes.  Jewelry, a ball cap, a beach hat, a small backpack for shore trips and a small clutch purse for dinner.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

16 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don't like doing laundry onboard the ship except for underwear and socks, too.  Those laundry bags are so small and on Wonder it was a small paper bag that could easily rip.  I totally get the temperature issues and packing.  I'm doing a RT San Francisco to Hawaii.  Unfortunately for us it will be mid 50s leaving SF and I've been hearing that it has been cold at sea for the first 2-3 days leaving and coming back. 

Edited by Teeara

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Good luck on your trip today!!!

The packing cubes vs tightly rolling my items debate always stumps me.....last Alaska trip I tried both, and though I could get a lot into the cubes, I was still wasting the space between the cubes, and I couldn't get my last cube in, but when I packed without them I had everything in.....

My brain can't get around all the wasted space.....and how I could maximize it haha