Driving from Maryland to Port Canaveral

dewb5359

Looking for any suggestions about this drive. Three of us in a van. My plan is to leave 2 days before the cruise departs. Not making hotel reservations for the first stop figuring just drive until we are tired, but hoping to make it to Savanah GA (about 9 hours). Then roughly 5 hours to Port Canaveral arriving the day before departure (hotel reservation already set for this stop) Thanks

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dewb5359 said:

Looking for any suggestions about this drive. Three of us in a van. My plan is to leave 2 days before the cruise departs. Not making hotel reservations for the first stop figuring just drive until we are tired, but hoping to make it to Savanah GA (about 9 hours). Then roughly 5 hours to Port Canaveral arriving the day before departure (hotel reservation already set for this stop) Thanks

We have driven straight through from NJ - Port St. Lucie, Florida with 3 drivers.  There were 4 of us in the car, one wasn't old enough to drive.  We did it at night.  I remember on the drive down 95, that there were places during the night that we thought would be open for gas, but weren't.  So plan your gas stops carefully if driving at night.  We had planned to stop on our way down, but at some point, I think in South Carolina we all agreed that we would just keep driving.  We stopped for a good breakfast in Daytona.  We did the buddy system.  There was always 2 people awake.  The driver and one other, with the other 2 asleep.  We traded back and forth with driving.  It really worked out well.  

My in-laws live in Port St. Lucie.  After a few days there we went up to Port Canaveral for the cruise.  On the way home, we did not drive through.  We were all tired, so we did stop about half way.  

Let me know if there is anything in particular I can answer for you.  Over the years we have done the NJ - Florida drive many times, but that was the first time we ever drove right through.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dewb5359 said:

It's a long fairly boring drive.  South of Richmond/Petersburg, not much in terms of urban areas until Savannah, especially in South Carolina.  So plan your fuel stops appropriately. (You'll be OK in Virginia and North Carolina, though.)  South of It's almost all four lanes (two lanes in each direction) so it can get a bit crowded in SC at certain times.  It opens to six lanes in Georgia.

Regarding road conditions, I would recommend taking I-295 around Richmond/Petersburg instead of driving through downtown.  A better road and 70 MPH instead of 55/60.  You'll see signs telling you the travel times just before the exit (I believe exit 84 IIRC.)

Between exits 81 (I-40) and 58 in North Carolina approaching Fayetteville, there is road construction (widening from four to eight lanes), and there have been frequent crashes that causes delays.  Check Google Maps or Waze frequently.  US 301 parallels I-95 for most of NC, so that's a possible bailout.  There's other construction projects between exits 40-12 (also widening from four to eight lanes), but I don't think those are too far along, and shouldn't be as much of an issue.  (I don't know as much about South Carolina conditions, other than the pavement's not in as good condition, or wasn't two years ago when I went from NC to Port Everglades.  I think SC has started a project to rebuild the I-95/I-26 interchange, but that's a minor blip on the road for you.)

You've made a really good plan to give yourselves two+ days, so you shouldn't be too rushed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tw67 said:

We have driven straight through from NJ - Port St. Lucie, Florida with 3 drivers.  There were 4 of us in the car, one wasn't old enough to drive.  We did it at night.  I remember on the drive down 95, that there were places during the night that we thought would be open for gas, but weren't.  So plan your gas stops carefully if driving at night.  We had planned to stop on our way down, but at some point, I think in South Carolina we all agreed that we would just keep driving.  We stopped for a good breakfast in Daytona.  We did the buddy system.  There was always 2 people awake.  The driver and one other, with the other 2 asleep.  We traded back and forth with driving.  It really worked out well.  

My in-laws live in Port St. Lucie.  After a few days there we went up to Port Canaveral for the cruise.  On the way home, we did not drive through.  We were all tired, so we did stop about half way.  

Let me know if there is anything in particular I can answer for you.  Over the years we have done the NJ - Florida drive many times, but that was the first time we ever drove right through.  

Thank You

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

It's a long fairly boring drive.  South of Richmond/Petersburg, not much in terms of urban areas until Savannah, especially in South Carolina.  So plan your fuel stops appropriately. (You'll be OK in Virginia and North Carolina, though.)  South of It's almost all four lanes (two lanes in each direction) so it can get a bit crowded in SC at certain times.  It opens to six lanes in Georgia.

Regarding road conditions, I would recommend taking I-295 around Richmond/Petersburg instead of driving through downtown.  A better road and 70 MPH instead of 55/60.  You'll see signs telling you the travel times just before the exit (I believe exit 84 IIRC.)

Between exits 81 (I-40) and 58 in North Carolina approaching Fayetteville, there is road construction (widening from four to eight lanes), and there have been frequent crashes that causes delays.  Check Google Maps or Waze frequently.  US 301 parallels I-95 for most of NC, so that's a possible bailout.  There's other construction projects between exits 40-12 (also widening from four to eight lanes), but I don't think those are too far along, and shouldn't be as much of an issue.  (I don't know as much about South Carolina conditions, other than the pavement's not in as good condition, or wasn't two years ago when I went from NC to Port Everglades.  I think SC has started a project to rebuild the I-95/I-26 interchange, but that's a minor blip on the road for you.)

You've made a really good plan to give yourselves two+ days, so you shouldn't be too rushed.

Thank You

Have driven from NOVA to PC MANY times.  A word of warning... don't wait until you're dead tired to stop to try to find a hotel, everyone else has already stopped and you might find it tough to find a room.

Depending on what time of day, and what day of the week, there can be a big difference on where you probably want to stop.  For us, PC is 13 hours, door to door, and depending the time of day we leave, we have stopped anywhere from Florence, SC to Kingsland, GA.

We are actually driving down to Miami in less than 2 weeks and I've just started looking at hotel options. We aren't leaving until 2pm, but are going to try to push to Savannah, so that we can take a little more time in FL the next day.  

When we first started making the drive to PC, I would plug in a hotel address of where I thought I'd like to stay (we're Hilton peeps) and see what time it said I would get there.  Then, based on traffic, I would adjust location of hotel as needed. Then around 6-8pm, when I was fairly certain on what time we would arrive at stopover point, I would call and make a reservation.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Have driven from NOVA to PC MANY times.  A word of warning... don't wait until you're dead tired to stop to try to find a hotel, everyone else has already stopped and you might find it tough to find a room.

Depending on what time of day, and what day of the week, there can be a big difference on where you probably want to stop.  For us, PC is 13 hours, door to door, and depending the time of day we leave, we have stopped anywhere from Florence, SC to Kingsland, GA.

We are actually driving down to Miami in less than 2 weeks and I've just started looking at hotel options. We aren't leaving until 2pm, but are going to try to push to Savannah, so that we can take a little more time in FL the next day.  

When we first started making the drive to PC, I would plug in a hotel address of where I thought I'd like to stay (we're Hilton peeps) and see what time it said I would get there.  Then, based on traffic, I would adjust location of hotel as needed. Then around 6-8pm, when I was fairly certain on what time we would arrive at stopover point, I would call and make a reservation.

Thank You we plan on leaving on a Friday around 0630 - 0700 {AM} all daylight driving is preferred. You are the second person that has mentioned Florence as a good stopping point.

Fellow Marylander,

We did this in November 2022.  Leave early enough to get south of Fredericksburg VA before 7am!  That Northern VA traffic is killer.  You may not have the Southbound express lanes (unless you are traveling on a weekend).  Please leave early!

The traffic will moderate after Richmond and Petersburg.  North Carolina had a lot of construction sites so keep your speed under +12 mph/

My DW doesn't like long drives so I asked only that she give me a 3 hour break in the middle of our drive.  And even then, we were almost in an accident!  We ate dinner in Savannah and truly enjoyed a few hours there.  Any sane person would have spent the night there.  But we continued another 3 hours to Palm Coast.  The short 2 hour drive the next morning was easy.

Every state has a "Welcome to <STATE>" stop with a booklet with a bunch of hotel options.  Stop there (you could probably use the bathroom and the quick break anyway).  Keep them for the trip home.  BEFORE you get too tired to drive, call a hotel and make arrangements.  I wouldn't worry too much about making advance reservations.  I think we just used our cellphone and googled "Find <Chain-Hotel-Name> near here".

I'd do it again - especially when airfare is so expensive.  But I wouldn't do it if I was the lone driver.

Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Fellow Marylander,

We did this in November 2022.  Leave early enough to get south of Fredericksburg VA before 7am!  That Northern VA traffic is killer.  You may not have the Southbound express lanes (unless you are traveling on a weekend).  Please leave early!

The traffic will moderate after Richmond and Petersburg.  North Carolina had a lot of construction sites so keep your speed under +12 mph/

My DW doesn't like long drives so I asked only that she give me a 3 hour break in the middle of our drive.  And even then, we were almost in an accident!  We ate dinner in Savannah and truly enjoyed a few hours there.  Any sane person would have spent the night there.  But we continued another 3 hours to Palm Coast.  The short 2 hour drive the next morning was easy.

Every state has a "Welcome to <STATE>" stop with a booklet with a bunch of hotel options.  Stop there (you could probably use the bathroom and the quick break anyway).  Keep them for the trip home.  BEFORE you get too tired to drive, call a hotel and make arrangements.  I wouldn't worry too much about making advance reservations.  I think we just used our cellphone and googled "Find <Chain-Hotel-Name> near here".

I'd do it again - especially when airfare is so expensive.  But I wouldn't do it if I was the lone driver.

Hope that helps.

Thank You! We will start out by taking 301 South to I95 which I believe will put me just south of Fredricksburg. I drive like an old man lol. Will set the cruise control to about +5 over the speed limit.

13 hours ago, dewb5359 said:

Thank You we plan on leaving on a Friday around 0630 - 0700 {AM} all daylight driving is preferred. You are the second person that has mentioned Florence as a good stopping point.

You don't mention which part of MD, but keep in mind you will probably hit traffic around DC.  Florence is only a 6 hour drive for me (Alexandria), so it could be too early for you guys to stop.  Leaving at the time you are, you could easily have 10-11 hours of daylight driving.  If it were me, and you don't hit any major traffic that slows you down, I would aim for Savannah.  Ideally just before (Port Wentworth area) or just after (Richmond Hill). The hotels closer to Savannah (airport area) are more expensive, and tend to fill up faster.

5 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

You don't mention which part of MD, but keep in mind you will probably hit traffic around DC.  Florence is only a 6 hour drive for me (Alexandria), so it could be too early for you guys to stop.  Leaving at the time you are, you could easily have 10-11 hours of daylight driving.  If it were me, and you don't hit any major traffic that slows you down, I would aim for Savannah.  Ideally just before (Port Wentworth area) or just after (Richmond Hill). The hotels closer to Savannah (airport area) are more expensive, and tend to fill up faster.

Awesome! Southern MD 10 miles south of MGM. I was looking at maps and found hotels just an exit or 2 north of Richmond Hill GA. There are plenty of options once we get close. Thanks

Since this is 2 days ahead, where you stop is 100% dependent on you. Personally, I would want to spend the extra hour or so getting to the south side of GA if you are finishing up the next morning JAX is a pain during any type of rush hour. Either get through it before it starts or after it is done. If it were me, I would get it done early. Get to PC for a nice lunch, see if you can get into the hotel room earlier or relax at the pool. Maybe take a nap and enjoy a fun evening before the cruise relaxed.

• Like 1

The fuel tax differences can be significant if you buy a lot of fuel along the way. Driving from NJ, we try to avoid filling up in MD, will often stop in Ashland VA area, then Dillon SC and Santee SC. Avoid most of NC if you can.  Gas Buddy (dot) com has a map with relative prices that I've found helpful.

Florence SC is about halfway btw NY and FL, and has a lot of hotels. Most of the chains, and all of the gas stations.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

The fuel tax differences can be significant if you buy a lot of fuel along the way. Driving from NJ, we try to avoid filling up in MD, will often stop in Ashland VA area, then Dillon SC and Santee SC. Avoid most of NC if you can.  Gas Buddy (dot) com has a map with relative prices that I've found helpful.

Florence SC is about halfway btw NY and FL, and has a lot of hotels. Most of the chains, and all of the gas stations.

Thanks for the heads up.  Will try to avoid getting gas in NC

• Like 1

Used to do the drive between DC and South Florida a lot.  But not in like 30 years.  Thank goodness for airplanes now.

Is South of the Border still a thing?  There used to be hundreds of billboard signs for the place, starting like a hundred miles away.  "Pedro says 87 more miles to go!".  Stuff like that.  Are they all still there?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Used to do the drive between DC and South Florida a lot.  But not in like 30 years.  Thank goodness for airplanes now.

Is South of the Border still a thing?  There used to be hundreds of billboard signs for the place, starting like a hundred miles away.  "Pedro says 87 more miles to go!".  Stuff like that.  Are they all still there?

Last time we made the drive it was still there. The billboard are fun to watch for, but the actual stop is kind of seedy

• Like 1

When we made this trip we stopped for the night at:

Embassy Suites Savannah Airport

145 W Mulberry Blvd, Savannah, GA

It's right off of I-95, lots of places to eat, and other hotels right there as well.

We left at the crack of dawn (a bit earlier, actually), stopped for lunch and a couple of snacks, and had dinner right near the hotel.  Got a good night's sleep, and had a medium length drive left.  This allowed us to arrive with time to get settled and get a good night sleep. It was nice to have no driving left after dinner.

We like to do as much driving as we can on day 1.  Day 2 we're always more tired, and the driving is always harder. Also, by arriving early on Day 2, we have time to get settled, have a nice relaxing dinner, an early bed time, and be extremely well rested for embarkation day!

P.S. Do not stop at South of the Border.  Nothing worth seeing there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Last time we made the drive it was still there. The billboard are fun to watch for, but the actual stop is kind of seedy

Yeah, we made the mistake one time of stopping there for the night.  Took one look at the room and packed the car back up and left.  Never been back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincessArlena&#x27;sDad said:

When we made this trip we stopped for the night at:

Embassy Suites Savannah Airport

145 W Mulberry Blvd, Savannah, GA

It's right off of I-95, lots of places to eat, and other hotels right there as well.

We left at the crack of dawn (a bit earlier, actually), stopped for lunch and a couple of snacks, and had dinner right near the hotel.  Got a good night's sleep, and had a medium length drive left.  This allowed us to arrive with time to get settled and get a good night sleep. It was nice to have no driving left after dinner.

We like to do as much driving as we can on day 1.  Day 2 we're always more tired, and the driving is always harder. Also, by arriving early on Day 2, we have time to get settled, have a nice relaxing dinner, an early bed time, and be extremely well rested for embarkation day!

P.S. Do not stop at South of the Border.  Nothing worth seeing there.

Thanks for the hotel information

47 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

DO NOT STOP AT SOUTH OF THE BORDER. It is a s-hole. Drive further south in SC and hit up Buccee's for an experience. 

I've never been to a Buccee's but I know people who have been who rave about it.  Sounds like a must stop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I've never been to a Buccee's but I know people who have been who rave about it.  Sounds like a must stop.

They are massive and part of the adventure. Don't think it is a 10-minute stop for gas and bathroom. Plan some time there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

They are massive and part of the adventure. Don't think it is a 10-minute stop for gas and bathroom. Plan some time there.

That's the reason I've never stopped.  When I do drive these days up or down I-95, on the way to western NC, I don't want to stop for a long break.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

DO NOT STOP AT SOUTH OF THE BORDER. It is a s-hole. Drive further south in SC and hit up Buccee's for an experience. 

I take exception to this.  Calling SotB a s-hole is an insult...to all the actual s-holes out there.  😏

As you mention in another post, Buc-ee's is not an quick stop.  If you're looking for quick gas and a drink  (coffee/soda) and decent restrooms, I'd pick Sheetz (VA and NC) QuikTrip (in SC and GA) and WaWa (VA and FL, soon to be in NC.)  I don't trust the hole-in-the-wall gas stations along I-95.  (There's other chains that are decent, but those are the ones I favor.)

(So, what is lower on the scale than s-hole?)

12 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I don't trust the hole-in-the-wall gas stations along I-95. 

I had forgotten about this, but on one of our drives to florida, a no name gas station placed a $300 hold on my credit card. Freaked me out, because when I saw it, we were already long gone from that location. Didn't know for sure if it was a temporary hold, or a charge. So, yes, be careful where you stop!

• Like 1