Samana DR, any info?

mimi41385

Just found out the 4/26/06 Dawn cruise will be going here instead of GSC.

Does anyone have info or suggestions on what there is to do there?

Pepper, didn't you go there on your last cruise? What would you recommend? Anyone else willing to share the impressions of this port?

We just returned Sunday from a cruise on NCL Dawn that stopped in Samana.

Unfortunately, we did not have the priveledge of knowing in advance that NCL had changed the itinerary to include this island. You are very fortunate to have been informed early, thus allowing you time to do some research in advance.

This is a very under developed island leaving passengers with little to do on their own. Taxis are very expensive. Rates stated below are quoted from our daily newsletter (dated 3/2/06).

Rates are per Taxi and a maximum of eight passengers per unit AND INCLUDE 2HRS WAITING TIME.

LAS TERRERAS $80

LAS GALLERAS BEACH $70

BOCA DEL DIABLO & LAS GALLERAS BEACH $85

PLAYA RINCON $80

FUENTE DELA JUVENTUD $60

My suggestion would definately be to book a shore excursion from your cruiseline as it is not a comfortable area of the Dominican to be off on your own. (This is not to undermine the island of Domincan Republic as from personal experiences there are many wonderful and gorgeous areas to be visited, it's just, this side is not one of them.. Perhaps a few years down the road) Book early as the excursions are limited and like us by the time we received the shore excursion information they were sold out.

We spoke to many other fellow passengers who shared the same opinions.

We did meet a nice young couple celebrating their 10 year anniversary who booked an ATV Adventure and said this was the highlight of their entire vacation.

Another couple booked the Cave, Mangrove & Rainforest and

enjoyed that experience. However, said they returned to the ship immediately after because there wasn't anything else nearby and again repeated they were uncomfortable with the security.

No matter what, you will be on a beautiful cruiseship and at the very least if you do not find an excursion of interest take the Tender over, look around, and if you are not comfortable, take the Tender back and enjoy the wonderful day on the ship!

One exciting experience that happened, was while sailing away from Samana, we saw WHALES from our balcony! Loved it!

I hope this was not too much information and you find it helpful. Enjoy your vacation. We did..

We just returned Sunday from a cruise on NCL Dawn that stopped in Samana.

Unfortunately, we did not have the priveledge of knowing in advance that NCL had changed the itinerary to include this island. You are very fortunate to have been informed early, thus allowing you time to do some research in advance.

One of the advantages of checking in on the roll calls here. All those who did and were on the same cruise new in advance about the new port and were able to make plans. Those rates are not bad if you got a few of your CC roll call members to share the ride.

Here is detail from Peppers blog - A great adventure

Yesterday we enjoyed an absolutely wonderful day of adventure in Samana! As we lined up to enter the tender, we bumped into PiratesoftheCaribbean and her family. This was great luck, as together we made a group of nine, which turned out to be quite fortuitous! As we arrived at the docks in Samana City, we were accosted by countless “tour operators” who wished to provide their services. One gentleman in particular stood out among the rest, as he was smartly dressed in black trousers with a crisp white polo shirt, and he spoke remarkably good English. We naturally gravitated toward this man and so began our wonderful adventure with Richard William as our guide.

After a bit of discussion about the various options available to us, we made our choices, among which was travel in an open-air conveyance. The first one Richard located was basically a pickup truck. We nixed that idea instantly, and while Richard went searching for something a bit safer, we managed to spot the perfect vehicle! Arrangements were made, and off we went in a most unusual truck designed for exactly nine passengers! This was a small box truck converted by the addition of three bench seats – two back to back seating three each and facing to the sides, with one more facing the rear. Above was a cute little “surrey” type canopy, complete with ruffled trim. We climbed aboard, and Richard positioned himself on the rear railing where he proceeded to narrate our voyage. We learned about the history of the Dominican Republic, their industries, their culture and their economy. Our journey took us north and east up the peninsula, through countless small villages and unbelievably lush mountains. We witnessed economic extremes which could only be described as incredible. Many of the residents reside in small shacks the size of a backyard shed in the U.S., and although they are equipped with electricity and running water, there is very little room for the conveniences we consider necessities. We passed women washing clothing with a washboard and tub, and learned that most clothing is dried by draping it over shrubs. These folks we would consider unfortunate are actually quite happy and content with their simple way of life. On the other end of the spectrum were sprawling mountaintop mansions with gated entries and sweeping ocean vistas. Not surprisingly, most of these are inhabited by foreign investors, but their tax dollars and other economic contributions are of course aiding in the improvement of the infrastructure while providing good-paying jobs for the local residents.

After an hour or so of driving we arrived at our first destination, the resort property at Los Terranos. We were warmly welcomed and invited to make use of their pool and garden facilities, as well as enjoying their private beach area. A free rum punch was distributed as well! We remained there for about an hour and a half, thoroughly enjoying ourselves, and marveling at the magnificent facilities and amenities. The children enjoyed the pool and the adults enjoyed great conversation and fun before we climbed aboard our “bus” once more. Returning along the same route, we then stopped at the entrance to the very famous waterfall attraction. After quite a bit of negotiating with the locals we secured horses and guides for the trip. The locals do not speak any English so we were very fortunate to have Richard as our translator! Important note: this adventure is NOT for the faint of heart, or for anyone who is not in very good physical condition! The trail leading to the falls is unbelievably rugged, and the path is rocks and mud in equal proportions. These horses are remarkably sure-footed and proceed along the trail with little or no direction. Incredibly steep hills often require the rider to lean either all the way forward or backward in order to balance while the horse picks its way among the rocks. The views along the way are nothing short of spectacular, and the locals do their very best to point out the various points of interest as well as naming the varieties of plants and trees. My guide, Juliana, did an amazing job of keeping me informed and entertained, and managed to somehow communicate that she is happily married and has five children. Along the way another guide behind us noticed a problem with my saddle, and came alongside to make an adjustment. Unfortunately, the adjustment did not hold, and a bit later as the horse stepped into a small gulley, the saddle slipped to the left, and I went with it. Blessedly this occurred at one of the only level and grass covered areas of the trail, so my landing was on hard ground, as opposed to pure rock or mud. Three guides jumped in immediately to assist both me and Juliana, and in no time we were proceeding along to the falls. I was a bit shaken up and bruised, but otherwise just fine, and the rest of the adventure was without incident.

After riding for approximately 25 minutes we arrived at a small building where bottled water was for sale along with some small local trinkets. At this point the rest of the journey is on foot. Having not prepared for such a trail, most of us were wearing sneakers or sandals, and this portion of the trip proved incredibly challenging for all of us. The trail goes STRAIGHT DOWN and winds along between trees and boulders. Because it’s rainforest, the surface is a bit slippery in many spots and treacherous most of the way. Our guides directed us to the safe footholds and held our hands in order to steady us. Eventually we arrived at the falls which are nothing short of breathtaking! We all took plenty of photos, and I’ll post some later. After a very brief respite at the falls, we checked our watches and realized we had very short time left before the last tender. Hurriedly we headed back up the trail and miraculously none of us suffered a heart attack from the exertion. Julianna somehow managed to literally pull me along several times as we headed up the trail, and I cannot imagine were this little tiny woman hides all the muscle that surely required! Exhausted, with leg muscles burning we finally arrived back at the horses, where we climbed on and were extraordinarily grateful for their help.

At this point we had approximately twenty five minutes until the last tender, and we were at least 35 minutes away from the city. Richard instructed our driver to step on it, and off we went with the engine screaming up the steep hills. All along the way the locals yell Hola as we pass, or whistle their hellos. Amazingly friendly people, they are delighted to have our tourism dollars and show their gratitude quite openly. We marveled at the beauty of their island, and rugged way of life. Generous tipping is quite painless, as everyone we encountered put forth great effort to ensure our enjoyment of their homeland.

Flying through the streets of Samana City, we arrive at the pier and see a tender boat waiting, and a sea of white uniforms. We wave vigorously as we approach, signaling that we’re coming as quickly as we can. Hastily we pay our guide and bid farewell, then dash to the tender and learn that we are the last nine people ashore. We make our apologies and board the tender along with all nine crewmembers, and make our way back to the ship, happy and completely exhausted.

Blessedly DH and I had already arranged for massages at 6:00, which have helped ease the muscle pain after our amazing uphill climb, and my fall from the horse. Unfortunately, the timing of our appointments coincided with the Captain announcing that a number of whales were visible around the ship. We did manage to see one spout off the port bow before having to rush off to the spa.

This morning we are both rather sore, and I’m sporting a simply lovely black and blue behind, but I suppose these are part of the price of admission to a day of adventure.

Sorry to be so long winded, but Samana being an unusual stop for the Dawn warranted a bit more information and description since so few have seen it yet. I spoke with the Captain this morning and he indicated that last night his message to Miami was a wholehearted endorsement for continued stops at Samana. There are of course those passengers who’ve complained that there’s nothing to do there, and that the locals are all crooks, but they’re far outnumbered with folks like us who took full advantage of all the island has to offer and furnished glowing reports of their stay.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=303854&page=3

Shoreguy,

Just read Pepper's review of this port and her experience with the horses. You are 100% right about being careful. I wouldn't want to end up like poor Pepper. She really makes the most of her adventures though doesn't she?

freckle378

Thanks for your input. Every bit of info helps.

It is so great that these boards and all the CC members help us to be able to obtain any info we need to make our cruises more enjoyable.

Shoreguy,

Just read Pepper's review of this port and her experience with the horses. You are 100% right about being careful. I wouldn't want to end up like poor Pepper. She really makes the most of her adventures though doesn't she?

I pasted it above so those that find this thread will not need to go thru 3 pages of wonderful posts to find the detail. :)

Pepper cracks me up - If we are going to spend all this money for a cruise we should all try and make the most of our adventures.

That was a great account of the Dominican Republic. Just did want anyone to get confused- the Island of Dominica is NOT the Dominican Republic. This message board is for the Island. Sorry to anyone who got excited about Samana :)

The Dominican Republic threads are located on "Other Caribbean Islands" here on the POC boards.

Sounds wonderful though!

...Pepper cracks me up - If we are going to spend all this money for a cruise we should all try and make the most of our adventures.

:D Pepper cracks herself up too! :p Life is what you make it, and I prefer to have all the fun possible, take a few uncalculated risks, laugh my dupa off, and generally cause others to scratch their heads and wonder what's wrong with me! :rolleyes: Life is short - so BE ALIVE!!!!!!!

It's a shame that there were folks who arrived onboard with no prior knowledge of the itinerary change - I place sole blame on their Travel Agents - as NCL published the change immediately, and all who booked direct received a telephone call from NCL. TA's were advised first, and those with quality TA's received phone calls and emails advising of the change in plenty of time to make any and all necessary adjustments.

To those who didn't receive notice, I say find a new travel agent! ;)

To all those whose itineraries include a stop in Samana - do your homework, and make the very best of this truly beautiful locale. Brush up on your Spanish - you'll probably need it.

Oh and one more note: Indeed the Dominican Republic is not Dominica - but apparently the moderator who moved this thread off the NCL board realized that most folks looking for information on Samana are going to look here, and not on the "other" thread. Perhaps it would be helpful if CC added a category for "Dominican Republic" as this area is becoming increasingly utilized by the cruise lines, and is surely going to continue to grow in popularity. :)

That was a great account of the Dominican Republic. Just did want anyone to get confused- the Island of Dominica is NOT the Dominican Republic. This message board is for the Island. Sorry to anyone who got excited about Samana :)

The Dominican Republic threads are located on "Other Caribbean Islands" here on the POC boards.

Sounds wonderful though!

Seams this thread is well traveled, It started out on the NCL board, apparently moved by the moderator to the Island of Dominica board, and finally moved again to "Caribbean -Other":D Should be easy for the OP to find

Seams this thread is well traveled, It started out on the NCL board, apparently moved by the moderator to the Island of Dominica board, and finally moved again to "Caribbean -Other":D Should be easy for the OP to find

:rolleyes: It's as well-traveled as we are! :p

Hello Laura? Could we please have a category for Dominican Republic? Pretty please??? :D

I found it!!! Was begining to wonder if I actually posted it, had to look at all my own posts to find it. Doesn't look like ther is alot that have knowledge of this particular port. I know it's new to NCL list of ports but I'm getting the impression that not many of the other lines go there either.

Pepper, your blog has provided the most imformation, looks like I may end up trying the horses after all. :eek: keep your fingers crossed for me.:)

Well, I missed all the excitement today! Thanks to mimi for starting the thread, and to Shoreguy and Pepper for all of the info and redirection to the thread! LOL!

Pepper, did you dock or anchor at Samana? I totally enjoyed your blogs and review! Thanks for your time.

I have to get a map and see where Samana is. Our babysitter moved back to Santo Domingo, DR a few years back. I wonder if we might be able to get together with her one way or another for a little visit. Hmmmm...

I just looked at a map. It wouldn't be so bad if there was one main road connecting Santo Domingo with Samana, but it looks like a pretty intricate route. I hope we can see her. She was on caribbean time even when she lived here. LOL! I could see her getting to us five minutes before we have to board the ship!

When d/h and I married nearly a decade ago, we honeymooned at a resort in Samana called the Gran Bahia by Occidental. It was very nice, beautiful and quiet. Years ago it was even featured on "Lifestyles of the rich and famous". There was also a ferry that would take you across to the island Cayo Levantado, which also has a nice beach and a few vendors but nothing overwhelming. The resort is also very safe and gated. If it were me I would contact them to see if you could get a day pass or book a room to have access to the all inclusive property. Back then, there was no airport in Samana and the only way to get there was an exciting and rugged 3 hour jeep ride through the mountains. I was kind of sad to hear that cruise ships and airports were nearby, just because it felt like our own little secret getaway, far from it all.

Hope you have a great time, we enjoyed this little corner of the world.

Thanks mrleo for sharing your experience... at Gran Bahia. That sounds like a great way to spend the day!

We are looking forward to visiting the Domincan Republic again. We visited Puerto Plata and Sosua about 15 years ago. It is a beautiful lush country, and very poor. The water on the Atlantic side is pretty rough and a little cool...not like the caribbean, but very pretty. Pepper, I do remember the winding roads. We rented a car the last time, and drove around on our own from Puerto Plata to Sosua. I don't think I want to navigate the route from Samana to Santo Domingo with only a day in port though.

mrleo - things have changed a bit, but not where you'd expect!

First of all, the "airport" is a dirt landing strip! :eek: We passed it twice, and couldn't believe our eyes! Reports are that a more traditional airport is in progress, but it'll be a little while before it's really what you'd expect.

Also, Cayo Levantado has been purchased by MSC Italian Cruise Lines, and has been developed to their "high end" specifications. Other lines can make use of the facilities, but only in a limited fashion. :rolleyes:

The entire Samana Peninsula is indeed undergoing some changes to enhance the tourism industry, and the residents are most eager to welcome tourists. It'll take a while for it to meet the ultimate expectations, but their goal is to disturb as little of the natural beauty as possible, and maintain their agriculture industries as well. ;)

I will definately go again!

This was posted on the NCL boards but should of interest to anyone visiting this area.

Found on one of the sites for Samana

Important to note, Samana is one tourist area in the DR where credit cards are not as readily accepted. It is best to bring cash,

travelers checks or use your ATM card at one of the banks in town.

Just a heads up for those traveling to this port of call.

Pepper, did you or any others run into this when you were there?

Mimi - we did! And I'm glad you brought this up, because I have important information to add!!! :eek:

Be certain to take SMALL BILLS onshore with you, as you will quickly discover that no one is able to "make change" for American Currency. Have a good supply of $20s, $10s, $5s and $1s, so if you encounter this situation you won't be out a ton of money!!!!!!

Thank heavens you brought this up! Now if we're lucky, this thread won't get shipped off to some hidden area! :rolleyes:

After re-reading the post above by freckle378, I realized that there is something I should clarify!

In freckle's post he indicates the rates for taxi services, and in bold states that they include a 2 hour wait. I strongly believe that he misunderstood what was being conveyed.

The wait is not for a taxi to arrive - the wait is to allow you 2 hours at whichever beach destination you've traveled to. I've just reviewed my Freestyle Daily again, just to be certain.

I hope this helps allay any fears that any of you may have had with regard to procuring the services of the taxi operators in Samana. ;)

Peper, I have a question about Cayo Levantado, was there any excursions to the island? What do you mean that other lines can make use of the facilities but in a limited fasion? We are booked on the Spirit in April 2007, we were planning to go to the island for our renewal of vows. We used the Sun's excursion list to plan. Do you think the island will not be available for us?

Thank you for any answers.

J & J's Mommy

mrleo - things have changed a bit, but not where you'd expect!

First of all, the "airport" is a dirt landing strip! :eek: We passed it twice, and couldn't believe our eyes! Reports are that a more traditional airport is in progress, but it'll be a little while before it's really what you'd expect.

Also, Cayo Levantado has been purchased by MSC Italian Cruise Lines, and has been developed to their "high end" specifications. Other lines can make use of the facilities, but only in a limited fashion. :rolleyes:

The entire Samana Peninsula is indeed undergoing some changes to enhance the tourism industry, and the residents are most eager to welcome tourists. It'll take a while for it to meet the ultimate expectations, but their goal is to disturb as little of the natural beauty as possible, and maintain their agriculture industries as well. ;)

I will definately go again!

Archived