Samana DR, any info?

mimi41385

Peper' date=' I have a question about Cayo Levantado, was there any excursions to the island? What do you mean that other lines can make use of the facilities but in a limited fasion? We are booked on the Spirit in April 2007, we were planning to go to the island for our renewal of vows. We used the Sun's excursion list to plan. Do you think the island will not be available for us?

Thank you for any answers.

J & J's Mommy[/quote']

I'm confused. Are you planning a specific shore excursion in order to get to the island, and then having the ceremony when you get there?

The shore excursions offered through NCL are your best opportunity to experience Cayo Levantado, and they are presented precisely as advertised. However, if you're planning to try and locate somewhere on the island to hold a ceremony, you could discover that your options are limited. This island is still continuing to be developed further, so by next April a LOT could change.

I think perhaps the best advice I could give to you is to spend some time reading all the information that people post over the next few weeks as they return from visits there. Then, I would sugggest calling NCL's Shore Excursions desk and ask very specific questions as well.

I hope I've been able to help you, but I don't really think I have. Perhaps if you can give us more information about what you're planning I could answer your question a bit better. :o

I'm confused. Are you planning a specific shore excursion in order to get to the island, and then having the ceremony when you get there?

The shore excursions offered through NCL are your best opportunity to experience Cayo Levantado, and they are presented precisely as advertised. However, if you're planning to try and locate somewhere on the island to hold a ceremony, you could discover that your options are limited. This island is still continuing to be developed further, so by next April a LOT could change.

I think perhaps the best advice I could give to you is to spend some time reading all the information that people post over the next few weeks as they return from visits there. Then, I would sugggest calling NCL's Shore Excursions desk and ask very specific questions as well.

I hope I've been able to help you, but I don't really think I have. Perhaps if you can give us more information about what you're planning I could answer your question a bit better. :o

To answer your question, yes, we are planning to use the excursion to get to the island. We have a ceremony in mind and a friend is able to perform it for us. We just wanted to use the island for a backdrop so to speak.

Thank you for your input. My biggest fear is that we will not be able to have our renewal and that was the reason for the cruise in the first place. We are now also considering other options incase the island is a no go. We are also considering changing ships to one that will be able to help us out. Unfortunately that might mean leaving ncl.

J & J's mommy

J&JsMommy - I must caution you that taking any cruise for a single "destination" can be extremely risky! Whether you choose NCL or any other cruise line you are still running the risk of missing a port for a wide variety of possible reasons! :eek:

Is there some reason that Cayo Levantado is the "location of choice?" Have you explored the possibility of having professional plans made by an operator in DR, ensuring your privacy and access?

Quite honestly, I would strongly suggest exploring all the possibilities before deciding on holding your ceremony in this fashion. I certainly don't want to discourage you completely, but by the same token I want to impart that there are risks of disappointment.

J&JsMommy - I must caution you that taking any cruise for a single "destination" can be extremely risky! Whether you choose NCL or any other cruise line you are still running the risk of missing a port for a wide variety of possible reasons! :eek:

Is there some reason that Cayo Levantado is the "location of choice?" Have you explored the possibility of having professional plans made by an operator in DR, ensuring your privacy and access?

Quite honestly, I would strongly suggest exploring all the possibilities before deciding on holding your ceremony in this fashion. I certainly don't want to discourage you completely, but by the same token I want to impart that there are risks of disappointment.

We chose the cruise based on departure port, we did not have to fly. There are 41 of us going and the price for flights was too much. Our anniversary falls when we are in Samana. I was told that they can not perform a ceremony onboard the Spirit while we were anchored, so we chose Cayo Levantado to have the ceremony. I wanted to use excursions from NCL just incase we were unable to anchor in Samana. I can not afford to loose that much $$ on booking something on a island and not be able to get there. It was my understanding that we would be refunded if an excursion was cancelled by the ship. An excursion for 41 people can get very pricey.

J & J 's mommy

We chose the cruise based on departure port' date=' we did not have to fly. There are 41 of us going and the price for flights was too much. Our anniversary falls when we are in Samana. I was told that they can not perform a ceremony onboard the Spirit while we were anchored, so we chose Cayo Levantado to have the ceremony. I wanted to use excursions from NCL just incase we were unable to anchor in Samana. I can not afford to loose that much $$ on booking something on a island and not be able to get there. It was my understanding that we would be refunded if an excursion was cancelled by the ship. An excursion for 41 people can get very pricey.

J & J 's mommy[/quote']

Why not while at anchor? Its not like your are getting really married again...You know if you call and ask that you want to do a small reception on board but you'll only do it if the captain officiates not marries you but makes a short statement acknowledging renewing your vows....write a nice letter to Colin Veitch and maybe he will send the captain an email...The other choice is wait until you get on board and go see the staff captain!

Why not while at anchor? Its not like your are getting really married again...You know if you call and ask that you want to do a small reception on board but you'll only do it if the captain officiates not marries you but makes a short statement acknowledging renewing your vows....write a nice letter to Colin Veitch and maybe he will send the captain an email...The other choice is wait until you get on board and go see the staff captain!

Sid, thank you for that idea. I will give it a try. Do you happen to have the address to contact Colin Veitch?

Peper, thank you again for your help too!

J & J's Mommy

Sid' date=' thank you for that idea. I will give it a try. Do you happen to have the address to contact Colin Veitch?

Peper, thank you again for your help too!

J & J's Mommy[/quote']

he is at the NCL home office. You should also find out the person who is responsible for parties on the ship you are on. That person has an email address. call the NCL latitutes number and ask for the person in charge of parties on what ever ship you are on...

Customer Service

P.O. Box 149075

Coral Gables, FL 33114 - 9075

Call Latitudes Customer Service:

Phone -Miami, FL: 305-436-4872

US Toll Free: 800-343-0098

Sid and Mimi - thanks for jumping in to help out! I've been working long days and haven't been on here as much as usual, so I'm really glad you two were able to jump in with more great advice so quickly! :D

Gotta love this site ... one big family all helping each other. What could be better than that? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading all your posts and have a question.

Is Santa Barbara De Samana the same place as Samana that has been mentioned in the posts above. If not has anyone been to this port. It is in the Domenican Republic.

We will be docking there for a day in October on the Veendam and I am just wondering what we can do there. We will be arriving at 8am and leaving at 6pm. Does anyone have a contact for a private guide.

Jennie

A quick google search indicates that you are traveling to basically the same place. As this is a new port for cruise ships, I would strongly suggest booking one of the excursions offered onboard the ship. There is very little information available for shore excursions other than those offered by the ships, and booking outside tours could be risky.

In hindsight we realize that we were extremely lucky to have located the guide we used, however he does not have a telephone, nor does he have internet access - therefore he can not be reached and it would be pure luck if you were able to locate him.

Do lots of google searching before you depart, and make your decision based on your best research efforts. ;)

Have a wonderful time - it's a remarkably beautiful place! :D

Jennie - Samana was a surprise port for us, and we only knew about the change a month or so prior to sailing. Consequently, my fellow cc'ers and I did a ton of googling and sharing of information in those last few weeks. It proved invaluable, and we were all well aware of what our options would be, etc.

We got extremely lucky to locate Richard William, but it was truly the luck of the draw. The area is absolutely breathtakingly beatiful, and I'll bet you'll have a fabulous time, no matter what you choose to do.

Just remember to have small currency available, and if you speak any Spanish at all you have a distinct advantage! ;)

Don't forget to report back afterwards and offer sage advice for all those going behind you. :)

Have a great cruise!

Pepper,

I have already started to Google. It looks to be a great spot. We will be there from 8am - 6pm on the 25th October after returning from the Amazon. We are on a 34 day cruise commencing in Vancouver and this port will be our last before disembarking in Tampa.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

This is such good advice. As we know anything can happen, ports are often missed or iliminated for many reasons or the weather can be sucky. We were on the Zenith in Dec (our granddaughter got married on the ship, it was wonderful) as we were sailing out of GC we saw a weddin on the beach. It would have been lovely except the weather was windy and freezing: we also ran into a couple on our cruise that got married on GC; luckily the ship was able to get in and we were able to tender, but they mentioned it wasn't the best of conditions and they were sorry they hadn't just gotten married on the ship like our granddaughter did. Good luck to anyone getting married, renewing vows or just cruising to see one port. 90% of the time it's worth it, the other 10% can be a disaster.....NMnita

Archived