Preziosa - What's it like?

Raj.K

Hi,

I have been on the Preziosa a number of times pre pandemic. The last being in 2018. What is it like these days in 2023 please? I am due to sail on it in June 2023 and eager to know.

Thank you.

Edited by Raj.K

Hey @Raj.K I was on the Preziosa in October last year. So a few months back now.

I reckon it'll be as you remember. Although a slightly older ship it's still shiny and pristine. If you liked it before I don't think you'll notice much difference. Passenger volume can make a difference as it does on any ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan82 said:

Hey @Raj.K I was on the Preziosa in October last year. So a few months back now.

I reckon it'll be as you remember. Although a slightly older ship it's still shiny and pristine. If you liked it before I don't think you'll notice much difference. Passenger volume can make a difference as it does on any ship.

Thank you @Ryan82! 

Glad to hear that the ship was all shiny and pristine. If you have been on it pre-pandemic, what was similar/dissimilar when you were on it in October 2022?

17 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

Hey @Raj.K I haven't been on the Preziosa pre 2019 but if you have specific questions about what you remember I'll tell you what my experience was.

Thank you @Ryan82.

Difficult to ask questions as I have only been on the Preziosa pre pandemic and you have been post pandemic. I guess I am trying to understand the difference with respect to, specifically:

What's the dinning experience is like in the buffet and speciality restaurants? 

Is the YC as it used to be (Top Sail Lounge, restaurant), including choice of drinks, food etc.?

MSC organised excursions and the theatre had reserved seating for YC guests. Is it still the same?

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Raj.K said:

Thank you @Ryan82.

Difficult to ask questions as I have only been on the Preziosa pre pandemic and you have been post pandemic. I guess I am trying to understand the difference with respect to, specifically:

What's the dinning experience is like in the buffet and speciality restaurants? 

Is the YC as it used to be (Top Sail Lounge, restaurant), including choice of drinks, food etc.?

MSC organised excursions and the theatre had reserved seating for YC guests. Is it still the same?

Thank you. 

I was on the Preziosa in Fall 2021. YC is like before covid, but no more reserved seats in the theater (is also not necessary I think). Food, TSL and so are the same as before. The buffet I don't use normally, only the YC. Butchers Cut was good.

Edited by Nikita4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nikita4 said:

I was on the Preziosa in Fall 2021. YC is like before covid, but no more reserved seats in the theater (is also not necessary I think). Food, TSL and so are the same as before. The buffet I don't use normally, only the YC. Butchers Cut was good.

Thank you @Nikita4

I am looking forward to our next in June and wanted to set my expectations. 

Good to know things haven't been "watered down" as I read elsewhere in this forum to services, packages and the experiences. Have there been any noticeable enhancements or improvements to the experience post pandemic through?

3 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

I was on the Preziosa in Fall 2021. YC is like before covid, but no more reserved seats in the theater (is also not necessary I think).

There were reserved YC-only seats in Preziosa's theatre in June 2022 (maybe it depends on the number of pax -summer 2022 sailings were not at capacity, but probably more pax than 2021).

Since this was our first cruise in YC, I cannot compare to pre-covid.

29 minutes ago, phissy said:

Correction.

Looks like in 2019, MSC was going to “stretch” and refurbish the Preziosa. 

Are you sure about this? Never heard of it, or of any plan to "stretch" a Fantasia-class ship (of which Preziosa is the newest, built 2013).

Lirica-class ships have been lengthened some years before.

Edited by RudiRatlos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RudiRatlos said:

There were reserved YC-only seats in Preziosa's theatre in June 2022 (maybe it depends on the number of pax -summer 2022 sailings were not at capacity, but probably more pax than 2021).

Thank you @RudiRatlos

Was your cruise to Norway?

Were you ever told that certain drinks were out of stock in the Top Sail Lounge?

Was there more than English Breakfast and Earl Grey tea (other than green/flavoured) during High Tea in the afternoon?

1 minute ago, Raj.K said:

Was your cruise to Norway?

Were you ever told that certain drinks were out of stock in the Top Sail Lounge?

Was there more than English Breakfast and Earl Grey tea (other than green/flavoured) during High Tea in the afternoon?

It was a baltic cruise (Preziosa did Norway and baltics every other week last summer). Nothing out of stock in YC or elsewhere on the ship. We did not join any afternoon tea, therefore I cannot answer that question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RudiRatlos said:

Are you sure about this? Never heard of it, or of any plan to "stretch" a Fantasia-class ship (of which Preziosa is the newest, built 2013).

Lirica-class ships have been lengthened some years before.

It was a Cruise Critic article dated January 2019.  It mentioned an UK based MSC ship and although MSC had not disclosed the exact ship, they surmised it would be the Preziosa.

This article was before covid, I think what plans MSC had were put on back burner until they could see how the pandemic played out.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

It was a Cruise Critic article dated January 2019.  It mentioned an UK based MSC ship and although MSC had not disclosed the exact ship, they surmised it would be the Preziosa.

This article was before covid, I think what plans MSC had were put on back burner until they could see how the pandemic played out.

Thanks for the hint!

Covid for sure has thwarted all plans, though actually "El Sombrero" Tex-Mex was transformed to Butcher's Cut.

Should be this article about a rather vague announcement (for me it would be very surprising if MSC plans on stretching a fantasia-class ship, as these are still amongst the longest cruise ships on sea):

MSC Cruises will likely stretch and "massively enhance" one of its existing ships ahead of a 2021 deployment in the UK.

While the line would not reveal the name of the ship, it is likely to be the one currently serving the UK market, MSC Preziosa

(...)

"So we will have 14-nighters, 12-nighters, 10-nighters, seven-nighters catering for different types of customers."

The ship will not be a new vessel, but will be "subject to a 'massive enhancement' which could potentially include a stretching," he added.

It could include a number of the new features introduced on Meraviglia- and Seaside-class ships such as restaurants, as well as new-to-the-fleet features, Mr Paradiso said.

Edited by RudiRatlos
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

Thanks for the hint!

Covid for sure has thwarted all plans, though actually "El Sombrero" Tex-Mex was transformed to Butcher's Cut.

Should be this article about a rather vague announcement (for me it would be very surprising if MSC plans on stretching a fantasia-class ship, as these are still amongst the longest cruise ships on sea):

MSC Cruises will likely stretch and "massively enhance" one of its existing ships ahead of a 2021 deployment in the UK.

While the line would not reveal the name of the ship, it is likely to be the one currently serving the UK market, MSC Preziosa

(...)

"So we will have 14-nighters, 12-nighters, 10-nighters, seven-nighters catering for different types of customers."

The ship will not be a new vessel, but will be "subject to a 'massive enhancement' which could potentially include a stretching," he added.

It could include a number of the new features introduced on Meraviglia- and Seaside-class ships such as restaurants, as well as new-to-the-fleet features, Mr Paradiso said.

Since Virtuosa was deployed to Southampton, was the stretching of a Fantasia class ship abandoned?

I searched the net to see if the Preziosa was refurbished/refitted after the build and launch in 2013 but did not find any info.

47 minutes ago, Raj.K said:

Since Virtuosa was deployed to Southampton, was the stretching of a Fantasia class ship abandoned?

There has been no stretching of any Fantasia class ship.

There isn't much more to find about it other than the cc article from 2019, so we really don't know if this was about a Fantasia class ship at all - furthermore MSC may have changed their plans more than once since then...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The ship was Magnifica, but then nothing was done.
here is the article from the official Italian site of MSC Cruises

https://www.msccrociere.it/news/rinnovata-msc-magnifica

(google translate)

09/12/2019
MSC MAGNIFICA: WORKS OF 130 MILLION EUROS IN 2021
SALES OPEN TODAY FOR CRUISES ONBOARD THE SHIP IN SUMMER 2021
MSC Magnifica will be renewed and lengthened. Among the innovations, also new and important environmental technologies: a state-of-the-art selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system, a new generation wastewater treatment system (AWT) and a hybrid exhaust gas cleaning system (ECGS) .

MSC Magnifica guests will have more spaces for entertainment, even more comfortable cabins. New itineraries departing from Northern Europe to discover the capitals of the Baltic, the Canary Islands and the Mediterranean.

MSC Cruises has today opened sales for its summer 2021 itineraries aboard MSC Magnifica departing from Southampton, UK. Guests who book by November 12, 2019 will receive a 5% discount on their booking and Voyagers Club members will also benefit from a 5% loyalty discount.

A refitting operation will be carried out at the beginning of 2021, for an investment of 130 million euros which also provides for the insertion of a 23-metre long section which will add a further 7,000 square meters of available space.
Furthermore, at the end of the works, MSC Magnifica will present new and important systems for reducing the environmental impact which will integrate the technologies already present for the respect of the environment and which confirm the Company's commitment on environmental sustainability issues: a state-of-the-art Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system, which helps reduce NOx into pure nitrogen and water, and a state-of-the-art Waste Water Treatment (AWT) system, which meets the highest standards and which purifies the waste water until obtaining quality water. The system meets the so-called "Baltic Standard" and treats wastewater to a higher standard than most available waste standards expected in cities around the world. A hybrid exhaust gas cleaning system (ECGS) will also be installed, which removes up to 98% of the sulfur dioxide from the ship's exhaust and significantly reduces particulate matter. MSC Magnifica's EGCS hybrid system offers a higher level of flexibility to allow her to operate in all circumstances in a responsible and environmentally friendly manner

Furthermore, to help minimize emissions even in the port, MSC Magnifica will also be equipped with a system capable of "connecting" during mooring to the local electricity grid, in ports equipped with the electrification of the docks.

Thanks to the refitting works, MSC Magnifica will have 215 more cabins (63% of the total cabins will have balconies), even more comfortable accommodations and will be enriched by an additional 800 m2 of outdoor spaces, a new water park, an area for children redesigned, as well as new areas dedicated to entertainment, including two new restaurants and a new shopping area.
Furthermore, MSC Cruises has announced that MSC Magnifica will offer new itineraries from Southampton to the most evocative destinations in Northern Europe and the Baltic, as well as unmissable cruises that from Southampton will go as far as the Mediterranean, touching the Canary Islands, Madeira and Barcelona.

There will be 24 cruises departing from Southampton from May to October 2021 and they will offer itineraries between 2 and 14 nights, in order to satisfy every need. Among the proposals also a 12-night cruise in May which will stop in Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Lanzarote, the three islands of the Canary archipelago.

A 14-night cruise to the Mediterranean is also planned for August, which will include destinations such as Palma de Mallorca and Monte Carlo, a perfect itinerary for a family trip. MSC Magnifica will offer four different breathtaking itineraries among the Norwegian fjords and will call at two new destinations: Skagen (Denmark), famous for its unique light and midnight sun, and Rosendal (Norway), the fourth largest fjord in the world. A perfect itinerary for a cruise to experience in the summer of 2021.

ITINERARIES INCLUDE

Mini Cruise on May 1st
A 3-night voyage during the end of the May 1st festivities is the perfect choice not only for those who have never lived a cruise experience and want a taste of a vacation on the sea, but also for more experienced cruise passengers who try to make the most of the bank holiday weekend. The itinerary includes embarkation in Southampton on Friday evening, and then spending the day on Saturday in Zeebrugge, the most popular destination in Belgium, before returning to the thousand-year-old city of Southampton.

Baltic capitals
Two opportunities to discover the Baltic capitals, to be visited on a 12-night cruise, departing on May 31st, or on a 14-night cruise, departing on September 11th.

Other than possibly some crew shortage and the possible supply chain shortage on a few specific items, nothing would be really that different. Same ship, same company. Never heard about stretching a Fantasia class ship, only for the Musica class but the project seems to have been aborted for good reasons. Have a wonderful weekend!...

• Like 2