Questions for possible trip

Twolittleboys

I am thinking of booking a cruise on Norwegian - this would be my first time on this line. I am still a bit uncertain about whether I should get the Free at Sea promo.

In the end it comes down to the internet portion. I don't think 150 minutes will help that much but I believe you save when you upgrade to an unlimited package, right?

Also, how much would a specialty restaurant be if I did not have the Free at Sea? And, finally, are tips included for drinks or do you pay them separately?

Finally, (not to do with Free at Sea) could someone remind me how dining works on Norwegian ships? Do you make a reservation or just show up? And are there set times or just whenever?

Thanks so much!

For dining iin the free dining rooms you just show up, though I've heard you can make reservations if desired.  The FREE AT SEA  pieces are asll optional, you can choose which ones you want.  So might as well take the Interrnet and excursion parts (actually don't thinlk you can even opt mout unless you choose SAILAWAY pricing).  Drinks and dining require you to pay gratuities at the time you pay for your cruise, so decline either of them you don't think are worth the gratuity amount.  I never do the drinks, but what I've read on CC the gratuities are pretty expensive, so not a bargain unless you really like to drink.

Also, how much would a specialty restaurant be if I did not have the Free at Sea?

Menus with Prices are available on the website,  I can add a Link if you need

And, finally, are tips included for drinks or do you pay them separately?

There was little to no tips on Drinks on the NCL Encore Cruise I was just on

Finally, (not to do with Free at Sea) could someone remind me how dining works on Norwegian ships? Do you make a reservation or just show up? And are there set times or just whenever?

There are no set times,  it works like a traditional restaurant not a cruise with early and late diner.  for the free places you can get a reservation or just show up and hope to get in either way,  we only showed up unannounced once and waited 30 mins (4 people).  Encore had 3 MDRS and they all had the same menu each night so you can try the others if one is full. and worse case the buffet is always there 

35 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Thanks so much!

I am thinking of booking a cruise on Norwegian - this would be my first time on this line. I am still a bit uncertain about whether I should get the Free at Sea promo.

You can pick and chose which Free at Sea perks you want. It is not "all or nothing"

Some Free at Sea come complimentary with all rooms except sailaway. Those would be the wifi, 3rd and 4th guest free, and the $50 Shore Ex credit. For the Specialty Dining and Beverage package, the cost of the package is covered, but you pay the gratuity on the retail price of that package. 

In the end it comes down to the internet portion. I don't think 150 minutes will help that much but I believe you save when you upgrade to an unlimited package, right?

Totally depends on your usage. If you can live with 20 minutes a day to download emails, etc., then it is a great, totally free perk. If you need more, then you can upgrade the free minutes to an unlimited plan. We always upgarde. 

Also, how much would a specialty restaurant be if I did not have the Free at Sea?

Post #4 on the link below has example menus. You get either 1 or 2 specialty dinners included by paying the grats. Paying the grats on the Free at Sea is a really really good deal compared to paying "retail prices off the menu". On our upcoming cruise, we paid $17.80 each for the 2 dinner Free at sea versus or normal dinner bill of $80 per person per meal. So, $17.80/2=$8.90 in grats pays for a $80 meal. 

NCL Terms and Conditions: An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges.

If you opt-in for the Specialty Dining dinners and/or Beverage Package, the grats are added to your cruise cost and due at time of final payment. You can always tip your bartender or waiter a buck for a drink if you want. 

NCL embraces freestyle dining. You show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. Depending on ship, there are two or three main dining rooms, a buffet, and a 24/7 grill. 

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Totally depends on your usage. If you can live with 20 minutes a day to download emails, etc., then it is a great, totally free perk. If you need more, then you can upgrade the free minutes to an unlimited plan. We always upgarde. 

Also, keep in mind what ports you'll be visiting and check your cell phone plan for coverage.  As an example, when sailing to AK I can use my cell phone freely when in port and avoid using my ship internet minutes.  Even some foreign ports will have free wi-fi in the terminal building.

2 hours ago, DwayneG said:

For dining iin the free dining rooms you just show up, though I've heard you can make reservations if desired.  The FREE AT SEA  pieces are asll optional, you can choose which ones you want.  So might as well take the Interrnet and excursion parts (actually don't thinlk you can even opt mout unless you choose SAILAWAY pricing).  Drinks and dining require you to pay gratuities at the time you pay for your cruise, so decline either of them you don't think are worth the gratuity amount.  I never do the drinks, but what I've read on CC the gratuities are pretty expensive, so not a bargain unless you really like to drink.

The free at sea UDP is $20 pp pd, alcoholic drinks range from about $8 - $15 each, so if you drink more than $20 worth of alcoholic drinks, sodas, mock tails a day (so maybe 2?) it’s worth it, so really quite the bargain for most.

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You can pick and chose which Free at Sea perks you want. It is not "all or nothing"

Some Free at Sea come complimentary with all rooms except sailaway. Those would be the wifi, 3rd and 4th guest free, and the $50 Shore Ex credit. For the Specialty Dining and Beverage package, the cost of the package is covered, but you pay the gratuity on the retail price of that package. 

Post #4 on the link below has example menus. You get either 1 or 2 specialty dinners included by paying the grats. Paying the grats on the Free at Sea is a really really good deal compared to paying "retail prices off the menu". On our upcoming cruise, we paid $17.80 each for the 2 dinner Free at sea versus or normal dinner bill of $80 per person per meal. So, $17.80/2=$8.90 in grats pays for a $80 meal. 

NCL Terms and Conditions: An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges.

If you opt-in for the Specialty Dining dinners and/or Beverage Package, the grats are added to your cruise cost and due at time of final payment. You can always tip your bartender or waiter a buck for a drink if you want. 

NCL embraces freestyle dining. You show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. Depending on ship, there are two or three main dining rooms, a buffet, and a 24/7 grill. 

The "Free at sea" works differently in Europe.  The person asking is in Germany. You pay extra for it and it comes as a package I believe, you cannot take parts of it away, also I think there are no gratuties to pay on top.  99 euros p.p.for 7 day cruise, 199 for 8 days and over, more for longer cruises.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LloydJr said:

Also, keep in mind what ports you'll be visiting and check your cell phone plan for coverage.  As an example, when sailing to AK I can use my cell phone freely when in port and avoid using my ship internet minutes.  Even some foreign ports will have free wi-fi in the terminal building.

I might add, most US plans include Mexico and Canada.  So any of those ports allow basic connections with reasonably large downloads, but not streaming.

Other US ports, St. Thomas USVI.  San Juan Puerto Rico.

• Like 1