OBC for teachers and first responders - who is included?

Hllb

Can anyone point me to this HAL program for details? My husband is a professor in a public university and some of these programs would include him (teacher’s union). Does anyone know if HAL’s does or how to find out/sign up?

11 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Can anyone point me to this HAL program for details? My husband is a professor in a public university and some of these programs would include him (teacher’s union). Does anyone know if HAL’s does or how to find out/sign up?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/teacher-appreciation-offer.html

• Thanks 1

This offer is for Educators and Teachers.  The educators category includes current and retired faculty and at least some staff titles at universities.  The approval process was fast and easy this past weekend.  I'm now just waiting for the credit to be applied retroactively to a cruise I booked earlier this month.

1 minute ago, Primus said:

This offer is for Educators and Teachers.  The educators category includes current and retired faculty and at least some staff titles at universities.  The approval process was fast and easy this past weekend.  I'm now just waiting for the credit to be applied retroactively to a cruise I booked earlier this month.

Excellent! I submitted the proof and am awaiting the approval. Do you have to call to get it retroactively applied? We are cruising in June,

Frustrating. I submitted his pay stub and they said it wasn't adequate (despite having the school name, and listing him as faculty??). Then I submitted the stub and his ID (which doesn't have a date on it, why I didn't submit the first time) and still says not adequate.

Update for those interested: I took his pay stub, circled all the relevant info, took his ID, circled relevant info, and superimposed it over his paystub into one document. Submitted that, and it was approved!

Now I assume I'll need to call them to apply the OBC to our June cruise?

29 minutes ago, Hllb said:

I tried the chat. They verified it can be added, but said I have to call. Should I make my husband do this, or do you think they would deal with me?

We completed the Teacher Appreciation forms and were approved (we are both teachers).  My husband called Holland America and was advised that the credits would be applied automatically within the next 48 hours to our currently booked cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coram said:

We completed the Teacher Appreciation forms and were approved (we are both teachers).  My husband called Holland America and was advised that the credits would be applied automatically within the next 48 hours to our currently booked cruise.

Interesting! I'll wait a few days then before I call. Thanks!

Looks like this program is only valid in the US. I guess HAL appreciates teachers not so much in the Netherlands 😬

It's the same with price drops, no compensation for Dutch nationals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hllb said:

Update for those interested: I took his pay stub, circled all the relevant info, took his ID, circled relevant info, and superimposed it over his paystub into one document. Submitted that, and it was approved!

Now I assume I'll need to call them to apply the OBC to our June cruise?

Yowza!  I’m also a professor at a public university in California.  I was approved just based on providing my work email!  Received it on our past cruise in November and when I booked our next cruise online, the Educator OBC was listed on my summary page.

Glad to hear your husband was approved!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, disneyochem said:

Yowza!  I’m also a professor at a public university in California.  I was approved just based on providing my work email!  Received it on our past cruise in November and when I booked our next cruise online, the Educator OBC was listed on my summary page.

Glad to hear your husband was approved!

Apparently they didn't like an email from emich.edu? I've had that issue before with other similar services to verify. No idea why they don't like it.

18 minutes ago, Noesja said:

Looks like this program is only valid in the US. I guess HAL appreciates teachers not so much in the Netherlands 😬

It's the same with price drops, no compensation for Dutch nationals.

Wow, that's so surprising! Sorry to hear that.

11 minutes ago, IamHungry said:

I just got it verified. Hopefully it will apply to the booking that I have already booked. Or should I contact my TA? Also can this be combined with Stock holder OBC?

Someone above said it was automatically applied after 48 hours, after verification. Chat told me to call the reservation line to apply it now. I'll wait a few days and then call if it doesn't get auto applied.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

Someone above said it was automatically applied after 48 hours, after verification. Chat told me to call the reservation line to apply it now. I'll wait a few days and then call if it doesn't get auto applied.

How would you know if it's auto applied? 

8 minutes ago, IamHungry said:

How would you know if it's auto applied? 

That's a really good question. There is a section in your profile (website and app) that shows on board credit and future cruise credits. Maybe it shows up there? Our OBC from a promotion doesn't show, but there's a note that promotional OBC doesn't show there. So ultimately, I'm not sure!

Edited by Hllb

8 hours ago, Coram said:

@Coram Do you remember where you could see the OBC was applied? I'm not sure where to watch for it.

14 minutes ago, Hllb said:

@Coram Do you remember where you could see the OBC was applied? I'm not sure where to watch for it.

I actually do not know where to find it.  We signed up for the Teachers appreciation today.  So 48 hours won't be until Thursday.

5 minutes ago, Coram said:

I actually do not know where to find it.  We signed up for the Teachers appreciation today.  So 48 hours won't be until Thursday.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Hopefully we'll both see it in a couple of days!

9 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Hopefully we'll both see it in a couple of days!

Mine showed up on the hollandamerica.com website, logged in, went to "My Account", went to "Future Cruise Credits".  At the very bottom was this:

Onboard Credits
Onboard credits are excluded from the total balance displayed at the top. These credits can be used to purchase services on the ship. Only onboard credit that is not tied to a promotion shows here. The amount displayed is the maximum available and based on trip length.
AVAILABLE
ID            AMOUNT BOOK BY SAIL BY            STATUS
12345     $100        N/A            Dec 30 2024     AVAILABLE 

This was my Military OBC.  It showed up automatically about 2 days after I "Qualified".

-gregma

Edited by gregma60

I was told quite specifically that this credit is one per year. It is not unlimited. But after arguing some of the technicalities - I did not see the one credit per year posted anywhere- they did grant me a “one time only” exemption for an upcoming cruise.

• Like 2