Booked "guarantee" veranda through travel agent - already assigned, is this typical?

heatherkh

I sailed last month with a veranda that was partially obstructed as it was all that was available when I booked. The only obstruction was lifeboats when you looked down. The veranda view outward was the ocean. It is not a big deal and you will still see all that is needed. I was on the Equinox. Enjoy your cruise and don't let this put a damper on your excitement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stavy said:

I booked a sunset veranda guarantee. Will I be assured of getting a sunset veranda?

17 hours ago, stavy said:

Actually this is on the millennium.  Does it make a difference?

Did you book the GTY because there were no Sunset Verandas cabins available to book?

Actually it did show one but it was a handicap room. Bought it from an agency that still had rooms because they reserved a lot beforehand. The cruise looks very full. I’m hoping we will get the sunset

On 3/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, heatherkh said:

Thanks, everyone. Lesson learned. I'll be honest, this is not the greatest introduction to this type of vacationing, and I hope it doesn't cloud the trip.

I'm surprised there isn't more concern from cruisers over what, to me, seems like a shady advertising practice. First-time cruisers aren't necessarily going to be aware that it can't be taken at face value. It certainly wasn't clear to me, and I was definitely not assigned "best" as stated (quite the opposite, in fact). That is my major issue with this.

Harris, I'll watch for your reply - thanks again!

I think the real blame here is on your travel agent. Knowing you were a first time cruiser especially they should have made sure you were aware.

I am a very experienced cruiser (probably more than 30 over the past 30 years) and I sometimes book guarantees. Sometimes I like the thrill of seeing where we’ll end up and the price is usually good. I’ve almost always been assigned better than I booked, and if I didn’t like the location have been able to change to another cabin in the same category. I recently booked a quickie cruise on another line and was assigned exactly what I booked and the lowest category within that description, lol. Win some, lose some. The price was right. I suspect the cruise lines may be hoping to get more on “bids” for cabins rather than upgrade guarantees anymore. 

Never booked a Guarantee sensing just what happened to the OP, however several years ago on Summit we were in a corner FV. The couple in the adjoining non corner FV had booked a Veranda Guarantee. I guess it can work out occasionally.

Hi everyone, I wanted to update you that the issue has been resolved. Harris provided us with some excellent cabin recommendations that were within the same category, and our TA was helpful in changing our reservation to the cabin we desired. We're all set to have a wonderful first cruise.

• Like 10