Owners suite vs Aft suite

Shaver John

Quick question. We just received a notice that we can bid for the Owners suite on the Discovery Princess.  We are in an Aft suite so I wondered what the difference is between the Owners suite and the regular Aft suite. Also available is the Sky Suite, but oh, the price they want for that.

30 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Quick question. We just received a notice that we can bid for the Owners suite on the Discovery Princess.  We are in an Aft suite so I wondered what the difference is between the Owners suite and the regular Aft suite. Also available is the Sky Suite, but oh, the price they want for that.

I would take the aft suite any day.

30 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaver John said:

Size

The Owner's Suite is larger and still have the wrap around balcony.  These suites are only on the Deck 8 and right above the Vista Lounge and the part of the balcony overlooks the aft public promenade on Deck 7.  If noise bothers you, probably not a good idea to choose these.

We have reserved an owners suite for our Alaskan cruise.  We are elite but we are treating ourselves for our 50 th anniversary.  

the balcony wraps around and has lounge chairs as well as table with 4 chairs.  We can have friends join us for dinner (off the dining room menu)   This is something I like.  On the Ruby the owners suite is aft and we are on the aloha deck.

I don’t think you can go too wrong whatever you decide

I was in E730 which is next to the Owners suite.  The music from the DJ in the vista lounge goes on until 11:30, sometimes after midnight.  The sound that I could hear was mostly the bass line (similar to a bass drum) . Sometimes it's loud enough that you can tell what song is playing.

The aft cabins, suite or balcony are my favorite cabins but I would take a pass on the Emerald deck because of the music in the Vista lounge. Most of the other events in the lounge I could not hear. 
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 3:45 PM, Shaver John said:

Aft suites are my favorite, except on the Royal class ships.  They are not fully covered balconies, and so you are subject to the elements.  Unlike the Grand Class ships where the stern is cantilevered, or called a galleon stern, so each subsequent higher level sticks out further than the level below it, the Royal class ships have a "fast back" appearance and that leaves those aft balconies mostly uncovered.  I'd rather than one of the amidship suites, even thought the balconies are narrow, or one of the forward suites with possibly a narrow balcony or one that is really windy at sea, because they have better overhead coverage.

And yes, watch out for Emerald deck above the lounge.  You are going to hear something every night.

I prefer the aft Vista and Penthouse suites to the Owners. They are just too big and that is really all you get for the money. We had an owners suite on a trans Atlantic cruise and in rough weather all the closets and drawers kept opening and closing all night. Every aft suite we have ever had contains a table with 4 chairs and 2 either recliners or chairs with foot rests

Balcony on Owners Suite is smaller than "some" of the Aft suite balconies.  Baja and Dolphin deck balconies are larger (deeper and provide some covered area as opposed to Owners Suite being completely open.  Of course inside is a little more spacious in Owners suite vs Aft (Penthouse) suite.

Yes. Thanks for letting me know.  We do have an Aft Suite with the big deck, We had one on a transatlantic and loved it.  I just wondered about the owners suite since they have sent us at least 2 emails to bid on it.  Hope someone else takes it, we are staying where we are, thanks for all the response especially about the noise.  We would not be happy with that.

On Discovery, the "owners suite" being category S2 with the rest of the aft corner penthouse suites being S3 has puzzled me from the get-go. They sell the S2 for a bit more $ but personally I don't find them to be more valuable. The bathroom and bedroom are the same size as the penthouse. The sitting area and the hallway to the bedroom are a little more spacious (22 square feet larger).  The balcony is smaller/more narrow than the penthouse suites. It's right above the Vista lounge which can be a source of noise, and personally I don't love being on deck 8 and prefer to be higher above the water for a better view.

As far as the balcony on aft corner suites go, they are all desirable, but come in three different sizes:

1. More narrow, where the lounge chairs on the curve have to be placed at an angle to walk around them (decks 8, 10, 12, and 15).
  2. Wide, where the lounge chairs on the curve can be straight out and you can still walk around them (decks 11 and 14).
  3. Extreme, where the balcony is simply huge (largest) (deck 9).

All of the aft suite balconies come with two lounge chairs, side chairs, plant, and a table with four chairs.

If you plan to have deck parties or entertain, deck 9 is where it's at, followed by decks 11 & 14. If you want to sleep 3 or more in your suite, deck 8 is a good choice with its roomier inside. 

My personal favorite is deck 14 because it's close to the concierge lounge (a huge benefit IMO) and just two floors down from Lido. :)

Finally, about the S1 Sky Suite, I haven't sailed in it on Discovery, but have sailed in similar suites on other ships that are in the same location (e.g. Garden Villa on NCL), and from my experience I prefer the aft! Although there are some cool perks in S1, you can't beat the aft view.

• Thanks 1