Check-in

bkrickles1

1 minute ago, cheer25mom said:

You are lucky it worked out this way. For most, it doesn't. See above posts about 2+ hour lines. That has always been our experience when arriving later. 

It's been our experience that being among the first to arrive only results in a two/three hour wait.  Sometimes sitting or mostly standing in lines.  We would rather spend that time waiting in a comfortable hotel room, drinking coffee, watching TV instead of standing for two hours in the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 8:16 AM, RocketMan275 said:

It's been our experience that being among the first to arrive only results in a two/three hour wait.  Sometimes sitting or mostly standing in lines.  We would rather spend that time waiting in a comfortable hotel room, drinking coffee, watching TV instead of standing for two hours in the terminal.

Our experience has been different. If we are one of the first there, we are quickly processed and can wait comfortably in the terminal for boarding to be called. If we are later, we stand in line for hours just to get processed an into the terminal. Sure, we can walk right on the boat once we get through the line, but that line is stressful and I have difficulty standing for that long so I am in a good deal of pain by the time we get through. This trip, standing for that amount of time will no longer be possible.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cheer25mom said:

Our experience has been different. If we are one of the first there, we are quickly processed and can wait comfortably in the terminal for boarding to be called. If we are later, we stand in line for hours just to get processed an into the terminal. Sure, we can walk right on the boat once we get through the line, but that line is stressful and I have difficulty standing for that long so I am in a good deal of pain by the time we get through. This trip, standing for that amount of time will no longer be possible.

Why not wait until the line for processing is no longer hours long?

We have  yet to find a terminal where waiting is more comfortable than waiting in our hotel room. 

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We have  yet to find a terminal where waiting is more comfortable than waiting in our hotel room. 

As I and others keep saying, the processing doesn't take hours if you arrive early.

And, when you finish getting through security and check-in, the wait is not uncomfortable.

I've done the same thing at 4 different terminals, with 2 different cruise lines, and it works better for many that want to get their vacation going. NYC has the oldest and crappiest of the 4 terminals I've mentioned, and it still was a comfortable and non stress wait. I just did all this last June, getting on Joy, and we were seated comfortably at Savor by 12 noon having a relaxing lunch.

We are usually finished with security and check-in by around 9:30am, if we arrive early.

Then, we sit and get excited looking at our home for the next week and we board somewhere in the neighborhood of 11am. 

I have a cocktail in my hand by or before 11:30am and I'm on vacation.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 3

We just went through check-in in Miami two Saturday's ago. We were the very first passengers to check-in, right at 9 AM. A couple hours later, my husband galloped ahead of me to be the very first passenger onboard! 

Our experience would be different than others, since we only ride in the Haven, but when sailing out of Manhattan we still have the same uncomfortable plastic seats everyone else has. Sure we have little bits of food, coffee, and tea waiting for us, but it still gets crowded prior to embarking. 

Out of four cruises, we have arrived early three times. We have been whisked through security and were sitting down in a comfortable lounge (not a hotel room, I suppose). At least we didn't have the stress of wondering if our Uber would make it, our documents were right (not really an issue now), etc. I'd rather be waiting at the port than waiting in the hotel. I get excited and can tolerate the excitement of the port better than the inanity of TV in a hotel room. I hate TV. There's commercials. Yuck! 

Anyway, on the one cruise we arrived at 11 AM for, we had to wait three hours to get through the lines. No thank you. I'll take our early arrival, wait in the lounge over waiting in line for three hours. We're young so can tolerate standing. I felt for the older people that were practically dropping all around us. 

Give me that short, early line over the long mid-morning line any day! And don't even suggest I arrive at 1:30 or 2. Just the thought makes me want to keel over from a cardiac! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

We are usually finished with security and check-in by around 9:30am, if we arrive early.

Then, we sit and get excited looking at our home for the next week and we board somewhere in the neighborhood of 11am. 

I have a cocktail in my hand by or before 11:30am and I'm on vacation.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yup, I want to get my vacation started ASAP so I don't mind waiting a bit at the terminal if it means I can get on the ship sooner and start trying out beverages at Vibe.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 7:12 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Because it typically doesn't slack off until well into the afternoon. It's all down to personal preference I guess, but we don't enjoy hanging out in our room. Sitting in a hotel room is beyond boring. I would rather spend an hour waiting in the terminal, which is basically the same for us as waiting in a hotel room, and be on the ship enjoying myself well before lunch than to sit all morning in a hotel room waiting for crowds to clear.

We get up at 5am every day for work, so we are always up early. We can get ready, grab breakfast and be out of the hotel and headed to the terminal and our cruise by 9ish, or get up grab breakfast and sit in the room marking time for 4 plus hours. To me, the choice is clear. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cheer25mom said:

Because it typically doesn't slack off until well into the afternoon. It's all down to personal preference I guess, but we don't enjoy hanging out in our room. Sitting in a hotel room is beyond boring. I would rather spend an hour waiting in the terminal, which is basically the same for us as waiting in a hotel room, and be on the ship enjoying myself well before lunch than to sit all morning in a hotel room waiting for crowds to clear.

We get up at 5am every day for work, so we are always up early. We can get ready, grab breakfast and be out of the hotel and headed to the terminal and our cruise by 9ish, or get up grab breakfast and sit in the room marking time for 4 plus hours. To me, the choice is clear. 

Depends on the terminal. 

Last year we spent almost two hours standing in lines to board Breakaway at NOLA.  We had arrived at 0930.

This year we arrived at NOLA at 1115 and walked straight aboard.

We essentially boarded at the same time.

Two hours standing or two hours sittining in  your hotel room.

It is a matter of personal preference and a matter of which terminal.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Depends on the terminal. 

Last year we spent almost two hours standing in lines to board Breakaway at NOLA.  We had arrived at 0930.

This year we arrived at NOLA at 1115 and walked straight aboard.

We essentially boarded at the same time.

Two hours standing or two hours sittining in  your hotel room.

It is a matter of personal preference and a matter of which terminal.

Which terminal on which day apparently. We have never waited 2 hours in line at 9:30 at any of the terminals we have cruised from, including NOLA. 

Edited by cheer25mom
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:12 AM, RocketMan275 said:

The reason for me is that NCL is charging me for that first day, the day my cruise starts, so I’d like to get on board as soon as possible and take advantage of all the amenities the cruise is offering me! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Try it,  you'll like it.

I wouldn't. That's cutting it entirely too close for me. My anxiety would be through the roof if I waited that long. It would ruin my entire day with a thousand "what if we are late" scenarios. 

2 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

Which terminal on which day apparently. We have never waited 2 hours in line at 9:30 at any of the terminals we have cruised from, including NOLA. 

NOLA can be a  unique experience.  Big ship, small waiting area.  Once the area is filled, they stop processing passengers in the security line until there the ship reaches zero and there is space in the waiting area.  We waited almost two hours in March 22 when we arrived at 0930.   In March 23, we arrived about 1115 and were able to board at about the same time as we did in 2022.  

32 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

NOLA can be a  unique experience.  Big ship, small waiting area.  Once the area is filled, they stop processing passengers in the security line until there the ship reaches zero and there is space in the waiting area.  We waited almost two hours in March 22 when we arrived at 0930.   In March 23, we arrived about 1115 and were able to board at about the same time as we did in 2022.  

We have family in NOLA, and leave from there often. The small area is WHY we get there early. We have never had those kinds of issues at 9:30 in the morning. We typically breeze right into the waiting area and get a seat. Our experience has been that it's packed with hours long lines waiting to get in by 10:30. 

On 3/22/2023 at 8:04 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Sadly haven't sailed NCL since 2019. Never remember putting in a check in time? Is this something I should also look at on day 21? We have always just shown up around 11:00 and boarded before noon. We don't sail until 4:00 and the cabins are never ready anyway.

Thanks 

Yes, the check in times started around civic to supposedly keep the crowd size to a minimum.  However, in my experience, it has not worked.very well.  The crowd size seems the same to me.  Yes' showing up at 1 ish is a great idea, as boarding usually starts around 11:30 so your wait time is minimal.

• Like 1

This is a great thread.  I have 2 questions.

Is it 21 day until or 21 including?  DCL said 30 but never clarified and I stayed up until midnight to check in and had to wait an other 24 hours.  

Also, can anyone explain what else has changed post Covid?  My 1st and last NCL cruise was a week before shut down.  Passport etc were handled at the port.

• Do I need to have photos of everyone in my sailing party for online check in?
  • What about photos of our passports?
  • Do you have to wait for them to "approve" your check in or do you just check in and you are done?  

These are things we ran into with Disney.  I like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thank you for your help. 

7 minutes ago, Bonnie1222 said:

Is it 21 day until or 21 including?  DCL said 30 but never clarified and I stayed up until midnight to check in and had to wait an other 24 hours.  

Also, can anyone explain what else has changed post Covid?  My 1st and last NCL cruise was a week before shut down.  Passport etc were handled at the port.

• Do you have to wait for them to "approve" your check in or do you just check in and you are done?  

Thank you for your help. 

• Do I need to have photos of everyone in my sailing party for online check in? Yes
  • What about photos of our passports? No, but you need everyone's passport infor
  • Do you have to wait for them to "approve" your check in or do you just check in and you are done? No wait 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the Breakaway but sailed out of Rome (CIV) on the Escape in September. We had a 5 pm sail away I think? We got there at about 12 noon and walked right on. The cabin was ready as well.

I am never one to wait in giant lines, I would rather just show up once people are done fighting to get onboard EXCEPT last year when I sailed in the Haven. Last year was my 1st time in the Haven and I got there at 10 and boarded at about 1030am for a 4:00pm sail away. I am sailing out in May on the Encore in the  Haven and I will probably arrive around 10 am as well. We sail out at 3 pm.

Btw the Breakaway was my 1st ever NCL cruise - had cruised other lines but the Breakaway was my 1st NCL cruise 🙂

3 minutes ago, gotscrapz said:

Not the Breakaway but sailed out of Rome (CIV) on the Escape in September. We had a 5 pm sail away I think? We got there at about 12 noon and walked right on. The cabin was ready as well.

Wow, that's awesome.  Thanks for helping!

We were considering departing our Rome hotel at 10 which should get us to the port by 11:30. So we'll stick with that! 🙂

12 hours ago, Bonnie1222 said:

Thank you for your help. 

My experience has been that when it hits 21 days until cruise (go by the number on your ncl account for your cruise) is when you can check in.  The number changes at midnight in Florida.  So for our upcoming cruise, we leave on Sunday, April 2.  We could begin check in on Sunday, March 12.  I am on the west coast, and I was able to check in beginning at 9pm on Saturday, March 11.

You won’t be able to complete checkin for everyone without the photos and passport info (# and expiration date), but you can start it (if you are looking to get that early pier arrival time). I started check in for my daughter and SIL for them. All I did was login to their cruise and select the time while they were at dinner.  They then finished it up later.

For the photos, no hats or glasses.  And headshot about selfie range, straight on.  Think DMV/passport photo.  I used a plain background. I took mine as a selfie, the took DH as a regular photo.  I check us both in, so I wanted the photos on my device.  Used the same photo for 3 cruises so far.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

My experience has been that when it hits 21 days until cruise (go by the number on your ncl account for your cruise) is when you can check in.  The number changes at midnight in Florida.  So for our upcoming cruise, we leave on Sunday, April 2.  We could begin check in on Sunday, March 12.  I am on the west coast, and I was able to check in beginning at 9pm on Saturday, March 11.

You won’t be able to complete checkin for everyone without the photos and passport info (# and expiration date), but you can start it (if you are looking to get that early pier arrival time). I started check in for my daughter and SIL for them. All I did was login to their cruise and select the time while they were at dinner.  They then finished it up later.

For the photos, no hats or glasses.  And headshot about selfie range, straight on.  Think DMV/passport photo.  I used a plain background. I took mine as a selfie, the took DH as a regular photo.  I check us both in, so I wanted the photos on my device.  Used the same photo for 3 cruises so far.

Thanks for all the info.  Very similar to how Disney did it for our cruise last year.  Only difference is Disney required a photo of your passport detail page, and then it actually autofilled in for you.  So I have everything I need for me and hubby when the time comes, just need new selfies.  

Ok all you folks in the know. Just did our check in. Site is weird made me enter the same information for all five of us, address, emergency contact, credit card, odd in past cruises added this in mine and it carried to all th guys. 

Now I can't load our photos, I completed everything in this section but this. Check in shows 52% completed per person. When I looked to see what else was missing the checks for covid and the safety video were no longer there? We watched and checked this video 11 times will they make us watch this on the ship again as well? We have our life boat check point as F3 listed and were given 10:30-11:00 check in time slot. I will print the documents when I go on the computer later. Does anybody know if there is a place to check these off on the paper copies?

Thank you folks as always, just not familiar with this check in process.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, LGinPA said:

Wow, that's awesome.  Thanks for helping!

We were considering departing our Rome hotel at 10 which should get us to the port by 11:30. So we'll stick with that! 🙂

Just be aware that “Rome” (or Sh…vecchia as we call it) is a truly awful cruise port. You usually get bussed to the actual ship (with all your luggage, total nightmare) unless you’re in some super expensive private limousine or similar.

On the way back, it’s even worse as you end up just at a street corner full of haggling merchants and people trying to “sell” you stuff or overpriced transfer rides. Stressful, annoying and just plain frustrating in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Just be aware that “Rome” (or Sh…vecchia as we call it) is a truly awful cruise port. You usually get bussed to the actual ship (with all your luggage, total nightmare) unless you’re in some super expensive private limousine or similar.

I find Civitavecchia to be like a lot of ports these days - in a commercial port for large vessels, so the port authorities restrict walking through potentially hazardous areas, so they provide buses. Not great, but pretty typical. 

On the way back, it’s even worse as you end up just at a street corner full of haggling merchants and people trying to “sell” you stuff or overpriced transfer rides. Stressful, annoying and just plain frustrating in my opinion. 

Again, seems to me many ports are lined with the merchants, but I've found Italian merchants less of a hassle than  any Mexican port. YMMV

But since the topic is check-in...

each embarkation port has its own facets that make it unique. I prefer an early time for Tampa, but definitely prefer boarding in afternoon in NYC. And I mostly avoid Miami - my least favorite embarkation port.

As to being first onboard if you pre-book the times  and excursions important to you there is no need to run to the desk to grab spots, Your most important booking is probably different than mine so different folks head to different areas when initially onboard. Pre-booking can be cheaper than booking onboard.

Generally the only onboard booking for me is the one  i'll use my shareholder benefit NR-OBC, and not a must-have event.

• Like 1