Check in Time at the Port

dmacleod

We are taking our first cruise in June leaving out of Ravenna Italy. I have a vague idea of how embarkation works from reading posts here, but am wondering about choosing a time for check in at the port. If we are not necessarily worried about getting on the ship as early as possible, is there an advantage to getting the earliest possible check in time or should we have a relaxed morning and go for a later check in? If we want to avoid crowds and waiting, what time frame would we shoot for? Departure is listed as 8 pm if that makes a difference. Thanks for any suggestions. The information I've found here has been great as we prepare to cruise for the first time.

No real advantage to get an early check-in time unless you have a reason to get onboard ASAP. But everybody is different.  I personally don't rush to get onboard, prefer to wait until my room is ready so I can dump off my carryon.

But if you're wanting to sign up for things that might sell out like special services, shows or excursions, then early boarding might be necessary.  Others want to take full advantage of their cruise experience and you will find them at the pool (weather permitting), with drink in hand, just as soon as the first guests board.

5 hours ago, dmacleod said:

We are taking our first cruise in June leaving out of Ravenna Italy. I have a vague idea of how embarkation works from reading posts here, but am wondering about choosing a time for check in at the port. If we are not necessarily worried about getting on the ship as early as possible, is there an advantage to getting the earliest possible check in time or should we have a relaxed morning and go for a later check in? If we want to avoid crowds and waiting, what time frame would we shoot for? Departure is listed as 8 pm if that makes a difference. Thanks for any suggestions. The information I've found here has been great as we prepare to cruise for the first time.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  You can select a check-in time when you complete your e-Docs, but I've never seen any cruise terminal personnel checking the time or delaying anyone from entering the terminal early.  NCL allocates arrival times in an effort to spread out the crowds.  Despite their efforts, many folks arrive around the earliest available time, regardless of what time they are assigned.  If you happen to get there early, you may be able to scoot through the check-in process without delay before the crowds arrive, but then you probably will be directed to a seating area where you will wait until the actual boarding process begins, usually sometime between 11:00 AM and Noon.  Those who arrive a bit later, say around 11:00, are likely to find the terminal jam-packed and the check-in time may take an hour or more.  The advantage is that once you do finally work your way through the line, you may be able to head straight for the gangway and get on board.  If you don't plan on having lunch on board and you don't need to hurry to the reservations desk for entertainment, tours, or restaurants, you can wait a bit later, say 1:00 or 2:00, and allow the crowds to thin out.  You do need to begin the check-in process not later than two hours before the scheduled departure time.

8 hours ago, dmacleod said:

We cruise 6-7 times a year and have the same routine. 

Exactly 21 days prior to departure online check-in opens. 12 midnight eastern time. We pick the earliest check in time. Early times will sell out in a day. 

we now have the option of showing up at any time. But we are usually early to avoid the crowds and liens.

We like boarding early and having a lovely lunch before the ship gets busy. And take care of outstanding dining reservations and show reservations (big ships). 

We’re frequent cruisers so there are other administrative things we need to take care of. 

We pay a lot for our cruises, so we want to take advantage of the ship. Some people will say, spend more money on shore with an expensive Italian lunch. Or park at a bar on shore,,, when the drinks are free in the ship. Not us.