Transportation from port to Florence

travelerdi58

We have a cooking class scheduled in Florence in June but aren't sure how to get from the port to the class.  Does anyone have a company that will pick us up at the port and drop off at the class then take us back? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks!

It's about 90 km/55 miles from the port of Livorno to Florence, about 90 minutes by car due to traffic.  Are you sure that your port is Livorno?  Some lines are using La Spezia as a port for Florence, which increases the distance and time.

Train is a much lower cost option, but again the timing comes into play.  What time do you arrive in port, and what time do you need to be in Florence?  If it's tight a car service may be your only realistic option.

Thanks for the reply! We are docking in Livorno according to the cruise itinerary. We arrive in port at 7 AM and our class is at 10 AM. meeting in Florence town center. Do you know of any service to contact for the scheduling a car pick up? 

It's possible to take a train in the morning but it would be tight (the 8:12 train from Livorno gets to Florence at 9:33, but getting to the Livorno station could be an issue in the morning).  For peace of mind, and a compromise on cost, it might make sense to use a car transfer (rather than a tour) service to Florence in the morning, then use the train to return in the afternoon.

I imagine that many of the companies often mentioned here for full day tours also do transfers, I would check some of them for quotes.  Unless money is no object, it doesn't make sense to me to pay for a car service to sit and wait all day for you while you take your class.

Edited by euro cruiser

6 hours ago, travelerdi58 said:

Do you know of any service to contact for the scheduling a car pick up? 

We used an app called Blacklane extensively in Italy this past summer and had great experiences. You can book ahead of time in the app and it provides an all in price (with gratuity). It essentially will then book you with a local company/driver that has been vetted by them and meets their quality standards. All communication and billing is done through the app. Couldn't be easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunandslots said:

I just recently booked on viator  a round  trip transfer from Livorno to Florence. $85 for two people and they say guarantee on time back to ship

You have to be careful there-- you aren't booking directly with a vendor or operator, so if something goes wrong, the recovery might not be what you hope it will be. You have very little recourse when things go sideways. 

1 hour ago, Sunandslots said:

I just recently booked on viator  a round  trip transfer from Livorno to Florence. $85 for two people and they say guarantee on time back to ship

Did they give you pick up and drop off time details?  For that price this is likely a shared ride, which may mean a shortened day unless the others are on your ship.