Is Boyne Valley near Dublin worth a visit?

cruisinqt

Our cruise just replaced a port stop with Dublin. We are looking to book a small private tour there. Most tours go to Wicklow and Glendalough along with a visit to Guinness. I found one that goes to Boyne Valley and it sounds interesting, especially the tombs at Newgrange. We aren’t big drinkers so the distillery doesn’t interest us. We love history though, especially castles and Abbey’s. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge or experiences with these two areas? I’m torn about where to go. Also, are either of these areas physically demanding? I’m fine walking around and exploring but I have a knee that will start to hurt after about 30 minutes but I’m good if I rest it a few minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Boyne Valley with a private tour guide (Derek Smith of Beautiful Meath Tours).  He took us to the High crosses and then to Newgrange to tour one of the ancient burial tombs that predates Stonehenge.  Fascinating.  He shouldn’t wed us a variety of other places and it made for a wonderful day.  

3 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We did the Boyne Valley with a private tour guide (Derek Smith of Beautiful Meath Tours).  He took us to the High crosses and then to Newgrange to tour one of the ancient burial tombs that predates Stonehenge.  Fascinating.  He shouldn’t wed us a variety of other places and it made for a wonderful day.  

Thanks I’ll check him out.