Trying to fathom what to pack ...2 days to go anstill no idea how many formals and what ladies tend to wear on other nights

phillipahain

The number of formal nights depends on the number of nights of  your cruise:

On sailings of 7 days or less, expect 1 formal night
On sailings of 8-9 days, expect 1 formal night.
On sailings of 10-14 days, expect 2 formal nights.
On sailings of 15 days and above, expect 3 formal nights

This assumes you are on a regular sailing and not an Expedition ship (no formal nights on expeditions).

On the other evenings, the dress is informal or casual.  I would stick with informal - cocktail party dress would be fine.  But I'm a guy, so I don't really know what women are expected to wear in informal vs. casual.

Here's what SS says:

CLOTHING ABOARD THE SHIP
Silversea operates an on board dress code after 6pm, while during the day casual wear is appropriate for daytime and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts.
Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening wear falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses or casual dresses for women; open-neck shirts and slacks for men are appropriate. On informal evenings, women wear dresses or pantsuits; men wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.
On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal. Same applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit and Kaiseki and Silver Note on Muse. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights. Same applies to Spaccanapoli on Muse. Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required.

We’re on Moon now. Did Dawn last year. You see the full range. 

MOST women wear cocktail attire on formal night. For most, that’s either a cocktail dress or dress pants with a very dressy (think sparkly) top.  Some wear long. Some wear pants and a nice top (maybe silk) but definitely not dressy.  My first cruise I wore lightweight black wool pants with sparkly tops. This cruise I brought 2 cocktail dresses just b/c I had them and wanted to wear them.  It was all ok. 

For informal, it’s all over the place in terms of what women wear. Some wear cocktail but slightly less dressy than formal. Most wear either a dress or slacks/skirt and a top that you’d wear to a nice afternoon party - like a baby shower or rehearsal dinner. Some wear slacks and a blouse— not very dressy.  One night I wore black slacks with a cashmere sweater and was perfectly fine. 

If want to pack less, bring 2 pairs of slacks.  Bring one top for every 2 nights that are formal or informal (no one cares or notices if you wear the same thing twice).  

Casual night runs the gamut from cocktail (yep, some still dress up) to super casual pants and almost anything goes for a top.  One guy showed up in jeans and no one said anything, but he was alone and they’re supposedly not permitted (other than very last night when there is super flexibility). 

Bottom line: women have a lot of latitude.  Common sense prevails. Also, there are always casual and informal venues. 

For men, minimum for formal night is jacket and tie.  Informal is jacket.  My DH wore dark khakis with a jacket and tie on formal night an no one said a thing. Some men wear tuxes.  

SS is definitely more formal than most lines, but I see a more casual approach slowly creeping in. JMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillipahain said:

Many thanks ...i know now what to include ...reports varied so much and yes sadly dress stsndards have done a nose dive recently ...very very sad indeed

Have a great cruise, and dress to the nines!