Our 2024 Alaska Adventure--including planning!

no1racefan1

Thank you so much for sharing your planning progresses! I am pretty late into the game and just started to put things together for a cruise + land trip this coming June. You must have shared in the midst of this long thread, but I can't easy sort it out among so many updates. would you mind kindly sharing again how did you manage to bring down the cruise fee from the original $2200 to $1161.74? 

i am in the middle of hotel booking and honestly can't find any decent options (motel level) under $200/night. I am sure by now a lot of good ones are gone, but would you mind sharing where you booked just in case there are still some good options left? 

Thank you so much for sharing and contributing! 

Edited by sharon_pei

2 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Thank you so much for sharing your planning progresses! I am pretty late into the game and just started to put things together for a cruise + land trip this coming June. You must have shared in the midst of this long thread, but I can't easy sort it out among so many updates. would you mind kindly sharing again how did you manage to bring down the cruise fee from the original $2200 to $1161.74? 

i am in the middle of hotel booking and honestly can't find any decent options (motel level) under $200/night. I am sure by now a lot of good ones are gone, but would you mind sharing where you booked just in case there are still some good options left? 

Thank you so much for sharing and contributing! 

A couple of things--the cruise fare dropped from when I originally booked it, and I was able to use the Princess chat to have an agent reduce my booking to the lower price. I gave up some OBC but it still shaved off several hundred dollars.

Additionally, I purchased some Princess gift cards from AARP at a discount. They used to be 10% discount and are currently 8%... so that helped bring the cost down a bit.

Are you looking for hotels in Anchorage or elsewhere? I booked at Hyatt using points, so I don't know if I'm much help. I think it was over $300/night if paying in cash.

I'm sure you'll be able to put it all together and there are so many people here that could answer any questions you have! Also, you can head over to TripAdvisor and post on their Alaska forum. I found it tremendously helpful to get feedback while putting our itinerary together.

Today is the 85 days until cruise mark!!  You know what that means? Upgrade bidding time! I logged on this morning and it said upgrades weren't available, but when I logged on this evening they are up and running! (I haven't received any emails as of yet).

So here's the upgrade situation, obviously this varies by cruise but I know there are still a lot of questions about upgrades, and I've never gone through the process, so I figured I'd share as we go!

Upgrade choices offered to me are:

Standard Balcony, starting bid $620pp. Balconies are currently selling for $901pp more than Interiors, so a decent bargain, but still too rich for me.

Premium Oceanview, starting bid $330pp. Current selling price is $396pp more than an Interior. I guess this is a deal if you really want a Premium OV, but I'm not interested.

Oceanview, starting bid $275pp. Current selling price is $351pp more than an Interior. A better deal, but still more than what I'm willing/able to spend. If this was the balcony price, I might go for it 😄

Obstructed Oceanview, starting bid $20pp. There are no obstructed OVs currently available for sale, so I don't know the selling price. However, I'm gonna guess it's at least $200 more than an Interior, so this is a really great deal if you can get it for the minimum bid amount. Now the question is whether I should go for it..... 

I need to do some more research into where the obstructed OV cabins are on Sapphire Princess. Anybody have any insight to share?

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

I need to do some more research into where the obstructed OV cabins are on Sapphire Princess. Anybody have any insight to share?

I use this site in researching obstructed views.  It’ll give you an idea of what’s an obstructed view on the Sapphire.  Though keep in mind you don’t have the ability to chose a cabin—and there is a pretty wide spectrum!

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/ov.php?ship=Sapphire-Princess&cabins=E600-E633

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 5:26 PM, no1racefan1 said:

A couple of things--the cruise fare dropped from when I originally booked it, and I was able to use the Princess chat to have an agent reduce my booking to the lower price. I gave up some OBC but it still shaved off several hundred dollars.

Additionally, I purchased some Princess gift cards from AARP at a discount. They used to be 10% discount and are currently 8%... so that helped bring the cost down a bit.

Are you looking for hotels in Anchorage or elsewhere? I booked at Hyatt using points, so I don't know if I'm much help. I think it was over $300/night if paying in cash.

I'm sure you'll be able to put it all together and there are so many people here that could answer any questions you have! Also, you can head over to TripAdvisor and post on their Alaska forum. I found it tremendously helpful to get feedback while putting our itinerary together.

Thank you for the explanation. it's apparently too late for any fare deal that happened in the past and I am looking into the gift card trick. Do I need to pay for the membership to be able to see the gift cards offers? I browsed its website and couldn't find any gift card as a guest. 

I reserved this cruise on a credit card that offers complimentary trip cancellation insurance just in case any unpredictable things happen last minute.  the fare I got is 1689. So it's like paying $170 for travel insurance. maybe it's better to get the giftcard deal through this membership thing and buy travel insurance separately? thoughts?

Edited by sharon_pei

On 12/29/2023 at 6:37 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I found who I think is the tour operator for this particular excursion, and they have great reviews on TripAdvisor, even in May. I'm waiting to hear from DH though--I sent him the excursion and the reviews and told him to decide if he still wants to try it. I don't really know what he's looking to get out of it, LOL.

If this is the Ketchikan fishing with beach cookout afterwards, I'm sure there will be fish to catch. May is a little bit early for good salmon, and although there are a few kings around targeting them would be a slow fishing. But there's plenty of rockfish and sea bass to catch. I'm on this trip in early June because I know they'll put us on the fish. We have to catch something for the dinner afterall!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Thank you for the explanation. it's apparently too late for any fare deal that happened in the past and I am looking into the gift card trick. Do I need to pay for the membership to be able to see the gift cards offers? I browsed its website and couldn't find any gift card as a guest. 

The AARP gift cards are located in the Rewards Center not the main website.  One does not have to be a member to purchase the Princess Cruise cards (other cruise lines like HAL you have to be a member).   The cards are e-cards delivered to your email and are limited to 5 per month per email. Once purchased you can apply them to your balance online, through your TA (if applicable) or directly through Princess.  

Keep in mind though that if you cancel the cruise, the monies go back to the gift cards.  Just be sure to keep the cards (with the PINs) until after the cruise!

We also take these gift cards on a cruise and use them to pay off our onboard account at the end.  Nice to be able to get 8% off everything!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, disneyochem said:

The AARP gift cards are located in the Rewards Center not the main website.  One does not have to be a member to purchase the Princess Cruise cards (other cruise lines like HAL you have to be a member).   The cards are e-cards delivered to your email and are limited to 5 per month per email. Once purchased you can apply them to your balance online, through your TA (if applicable) or directly through Princess.  

Keep in mind though that if you cancel the cruise, the monies go back to the gift cards.  Just be sure to keep the cards (with the PINs) until after the cruise!

We also take these gift cards on a cruise and use them to pay off our onboard account at the end.  Nice to be able to get 8% off everything!

Thank you for the guidance on gift cards via AARP. Looks like it has $500 value and $100 value. does the limit of 5 per month apply the $500 value one? if so, that means each month, one can purchase 5x$500=$2500 in value? 
I tried to log into my princess account and couldn't each link my cruise (booked via costco) to the account. mobile app seems to work for linking to the reservation, but it still doesn't allow me to apply any gift cards as a payment method. do I have to call or chat with its customer support people to apply the gc to remaining balance? I assume the crew appreciation could be paid via gift cards too. 

Just now, sharon_pei said:

Thank you for the guidance on gift cards via AARP. Looks like it has $500 value and $100 value. does the limit of 5 per month apply the $500 value one? if so, that means each month, one can purchase 5x$500=$2500 in value? 
I tried to log into my princess account and couldn't each link my cruise (booked via costco) to the account. mobile app seems to work for linking to the reservation, but it still doesn't allow me to apply any gift cards as a payment method. do I have to call or chat with its customer support people to apply the gc to remaining balance? I assume the crew appreciation could be paid via gift cards too. 

It’s a limit of 5 gift cards per month per email regardless of value.  So one can purchase $2500 per month.  We buy 10 per month using mine and my hubby’s email accounts.

You should be able to view your account by logging on to Princess with your confirmation number.  If not, you might have to call Princess to link it.  I have used your TA before and have been able to access my cruise.  And yes, sometimes the website is wonky and I’ve had to call Princess to apply the gift cards.

You cannot prepay crew gratuities with a Princess gift card.  If you want to do so, you have to apply the gift cards to your account while on the cruise.

BTW, one is not suppose to mention who one uses as a travel agent.  Just refer to your TA as a big box company.

• Like 1

75 days to go!!! Things are getting real now 🙂

I've decided not to bid on any upgrades for the moment. The only one that appeals budget-wise is the obstructed OV and after looking at pictures, I'm not sold on that being something we need to spend money on. I'm going to keep an eye on upgrade offers as we get closer to see if they change at all.

Things we're focusing on at 75 days out:

• Contacted our pet sitter to make sure she has availability
  • Watching Alaska Airlines to see if fares go down for our Anchorage leg
  • Making sure we don't need any clothes/gear. We're outdoorsy people from WY, where the weather patterns are pretty similar to AK, so I don't anticipate needing to make too many special purchases because we already own what we need. That being said, I'm trying to lose weight and may buy one or two items for the trip that I'll then wear regularly. DH bought a pair of hiking boots because he needs them for a 10-day hike he's planning to do in August, and he decided to get them before Alaska so he could wear them in.
  • Booking a massage in Ketchikan. I like the idea of supporting a local business instead of booking a way more expensive service on the ship.
  • Completing check-in online. I ran into a hiccup with this--I tried to enter our independently booked flights and it keeps telling me that flight number doesn't exist. Uhm....it does. So, I may just say oh well. I'm not too worked up about being 'green lane' vs. 'blue lane'. I'm confident that as long as we have a reservation and proper ID, we'll be allowed to board 😄
  • Bike race training. Okay, this isn't exactly trip-related, except it kind of is. We signed up to do a 20-mile gravel ride the weekend after we return from our trip. We did it last year and that was the first time I've ever rode 20 miles. I had to train for it and it was hard. This year, I want to try to beat my time. Since we'll be in AK the last two weeks of training before the race, I have to schedule in some good training workouts during our trip.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Alaska reviews start coming in a few weeks!! Will be great to hear how 2024 kicks off. That's all for now!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

75 days to go!!! Things are getting real now 🙂

• Completing check-in online. I ran into a hiccup with this--I tried to enter our independently booked flights and it keeps telling me that flight number doesn't exist. Uhm....it does. So, I may just say oh well. I'm not too worked up about being 'green lane' vs. 'blue lane'. I'm confident that as long as we have a reservation and proper ID, we'll be allowed to board 😄
  •  

I almost never put my flight info in, since I don't use their transfers.  I don't think that by itself would move you to blue lane.

• Like 1

I started reading through this post a while ago when an Alaska cruise was a far off dream.  I've been wanting to cruise to Alaska for years.  Well, today, I put a deposit down on one.  

It's not 100% what I would have chosen but close enough.  What made me finally pull the trigger was that the dates line up, it is a one-way (NB) through IP, the fare was discounted, and the room I wanted was actually available.  I am very excited to now go back through all of these posts and actually start the detailed planning!  

I know the costs are going to start adding up but the rates right now seem so much more manageable than if I waited a year....

Enjoy your cruise.  I cannot wait to hear more about it. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 5:21 PM, bulldog said:

The train arrives in Seward at 11:30 AM and we board the ship at 5:00 PM.  What should we do in Seward between 11:30 and 5:00?  Is there a place to store our luggage? 

Several years ago we checked into the ship and then left on embarkation day to walk around the port area (this was in San Diego).  They kept all of our luggage except what we wanted to carry with us that day.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:38 PM, disneyochem said:

I use this site in researching obstructed views.  It’ll give you an idea of what’s an obstructed view on the Sapphire.  Though keep in mind you don’t have the ability to chose a cabin—and there is a pretty wide spectrum!

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/ov.php?ship=Sapphire-Princess&cabins=E600-E633

We have an OV on Sapphire; however, we booked the room directly so we know our view is only obstructed by a single pole on one edge.  I'm not sure I would chance letting them choose the room, I don't want to pay extra to be behind a lifeboat.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LibertyCruiser1 said:

We have an OV on Sapphire; however, we booked the room directly so we know our view is only obstructed by a single pole on one edge.  I'm not sure I would chance letting them choose the room, I don't want to pay extra to be behind a lifeboat.

I agree, I decided it wasn't worth it even if we got it for $20pp. I'm going to keep an eye on the upgrade offers to see if anything changes.

We are 66 days out from our trip and I already have major vacation short-timer syndrome. I can't stop thinking about it!! It has been so long since we've been on a real trip!

On 1/23/2024 at 2:21 PM, bulldog said:

....... The train arrives in Seward at 11:30 AM and we board the ship at 5:00 PM.  What should we do in Seward between 11:30 and 5:00?  Is there a place to store our luggage?  .....

Several years ago we dropped off our luggage at 11 AM at the Seward cruise terminal.  Consider the SeaLife Center in Seward.  Also goggle their visitors bureau for ideas.

181 days here.  Scheduled my flights in December through AARP travel. Got a notice last month my return flight had been cancelled so I had to book another. Ended up with a Delta flight there and a Southwest flight back. Airline prices have been high all over the place so I settled for short layovers for each to save some money.  

Hotel is booked and paid for the night before the cruise in San Franscisco.  We aren't going to do much there just roam the pier and eat.  Our flight out is at 0600 CST so we will likely be jet lagged anyways.

Cruise will be paid off in May using the easy pay option.  Have money set back for food costs, transfers, extra tipping and spending money.

I have all my excursions booked and paid for also. I used my Carnival card to get 10% off.

Juneau: Whale Watching and Salmon Bake Combo

Tracy Arm Fjord: Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (word of advice book this as early as you can, it sells out fast)

Ketchikan: Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles

Prince Rupert: Prince Rupert City Highlights & Museums (Just to have something to do...)

The only one I couldn't find a Carnival affordable excursion for was Haines.  So, I found the Kroschel Wildlife Center website and I emailed them, and they offered me a really good deal that includes transport to and from and a private tour.  I was glad I emailed when I did as the much higher priced Carnival excursion came out shortly afterwards and he doesn't take private reservations after a certain date.

I ended up with some extra funds in my excursion budget, so I booked a Swedish massage for the hubby for an anniversary gift and a steakhouse reservation for us. Also booked the carnival transport from the port to the airport for after the cruise.

The only thing I am unsure about is finding an affordable option for transfer from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port.  Not very familiar with Uber/Lyft and kinda afraid there won't be many affordable rides on cruise day. It doesn't seem very far from the hotel to cruise terminal so we may just hoof it there. There is a public transit that costs about 10 per person that goes from the airport, mid trip you change buses and arrive about a block from the hotel but I am kinda on the fence with that because we will have to lug one big bag, 2 backpacks and a small carryon with us and I'm not familiar with the area.  

I am just a regular working-class girl. At first, I thought I could never afford a trip like this. This has been a work in progress for over a year now. I'm not well off by any means, this took some serious discipline in saving and planning every detail. Now that I nearly have this one wrapped up I am already working on my next adventure, a British Isles NCL cruise for 2025! That one is a dream trip!  Hope I can pull it off and not have to reschedule it for 2026.  

• Like 2

Thank you so much for this thread! I too am an overplanner and I get much of the joy of the vacation during the planning stage. 🙂  We don't actually take a lot of trips (our major trips have been to Disney) but oh how I love planning!

Anyways, my husband surprised me a few weeks ago, by saying that he thought we should do an Alaskan Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary this year! I was shocked! I never never never thought he would go on a cruise, let alone suggest it himself!  So I got right on and booked a cruise. We are both first-time cruisers so there has been so so so much to learn but its been so fun! I wish that I knew we were going to do this a year ago (so that I could have gotten better pricing and such), but I've spent hours scouring youtube and the internet and of course Cruise Critic for all the info - so so happy to have found this thread! Denali is definitely on my bucket list, but hopefully we will be able to come back to Alaska on another trip.

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess from May 11-18th from Vancouver to Whittier. Our anniversary isn't until June but the timing of this one worked better for our schedule. We are flying into Vancouver on a late night flight on May 9th so we will have a full-day and a half in Vancouver before setting sail. Working on the planning of touring a little bit of Vancouver. Then on the cruise we see Ketchikan (Totem Bight State Park & Ketchikan Highlights, Touring the town a little, and the Lumberjack Show), Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest), Skagway (Ultimate Gold Panning, Sled Dogs & Scenic Railway), and then we do scenic cruising in Glacier National Park and College Fjord. We booked a Whittier to Anchorage Full-Day Tour that takes us from the Whittier port right to our hotel (Hampton Inn) in Anchorage and we get to stop at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Mt. Alyeska with aerial tram & lunch, a Anchorage City highlights (Lake Hood, Ship creek, Ulu factory and earthquake park area) before being dropped at our hotel. Our flight is not until late on May 19th, so we will do a little more touring of Anchorage before flying home the next day.

Still a lot to plan including the packing which I tend to be an overpacker so I am going to try really hard to keep it to 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on bag and personal item for EACH of us. Our flights are booked, our excursions are booked, our cruise is all paid for....just need to narrow down a few things for before and after the cruise and the things I "need" for the trip! 

60 Days Before flying to Vancouver!!!!!

• Like 5

On 3/9/2024 at 6:30 AM, Stowaway LFC said:

181 days here.  Scheduled my flights in December through AARP travel. Got a notice last month my return flight had been cancelled so I had to book another. Ended up with a Delta flight there and a Southwest flight back. Airline prices have been high all over the place so I settled for short layovers for each to save some money.  

Hotel is booked and paid for the night before the cruise in San Franscisco.  We aren't going to do much there just roam the pier and eat.  Our flight out is at 0600 CST so we will likely be jet lagged anyways.

Cruise will be paid off in May using the easy pay option.  Have money set back for food costs, transfers, extra tipping and spending money.

I have all my excursions booked and paid for also. I used my Carnival card to get 10% off.

Juneau: Whale Watching and Salmon Bake Combo

Tracy Arm Fjord: Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (word of advice book this as early as you can, it sells out fast)

Ketchikan: Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles

Prince Rupert: Prince Rupert City Highlights & Museums (Just to have something to do...)

The only one I couldn't find a Carnival affordable excursion for was Haines.  So, I found the Kroschel Wildlife Center website and I emailed them, and they offered me a really good deal that includes transport to and from and a private tour.  I was glad I emailed when I did as the much higher priced Carnival excursion came out shortly afterwards and he doesn't take private reservations after a certain date.

I ended up with some extra funds in my excursion budget, so I booked a Swedish massage for the hubby for an anniversary gift and a steakhouse reservation for us. Also booked the carnival transport from the port to the airport for after the cruise.

The only thing I am unsure about is finding an affordable option for transfer from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port.  Not very familiar with Uber/Lyft and kinda afraid there won't be many affordable rides on cruise day. It doesn't seem very far from the hotel to cruise terminal so we may just hoof it there. There is a public transit that costs about 10 per person that goes from the airport, mid trip you change buses and arrive about a block from the hotel but I am kinda on the fence with that because we will have to lug one big bag, 2 backpacks and a small carryon with us and I'm not familiar with the area.  

I am just a regular working-class girl. At first, I thought I could never afford a trip like this. This has been a work in progress for over a year now. I'm not well off by any means, this took some serious discipline in saving and planning every detail. Now that I nearly have this one wrapped up I am already working on my next adventure, a British Isles NCL cruise for 2025! That one is a dream trip!  Hope I can pull it off and not have to reschedule it for 2026.  

What hotel have you booked in SF?  Please let us know so we can help with suggestions about getting there and then on to the pier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, disneyochem said:

What hotel have you booked in SF?  Please let us know so we can help with suggestions about getting there and then on to the pier.

Yes!! The RUI Plaza at Fisherman's Wharf

On 3/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, no1racefan1 said:

I agree, I decided it wasn't worth it even if we got it for $20pp. I'm going to keep an eye on the upgrade offers to see if anything changes.

We are 66 days out from our trip and I already have major vacation short-timer syndrome. I can't stop thinking about it!! It has been so long since we've been on a real trip!

OMG I'm so excited for you!  I have been reading your plans and I wish we were going again.  You are going to have so much fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Incredimom said:

Thank you so much for this thread! I too am an overplanner and I get much of the joy of the vacation during the planning stage. 🙂  We don't actually take a lot of trips (our major trips have been to Disney) but oh how I love planning!

Anyways, my husband surprised me a few weeks ago, by saying that he thought we should do an Alaskan Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary this year! I was shocked! I never never never thought he would go on a cruise, let alone suggest it himself!  So I got right on and booked a cruise. We are both first-time cruisers so there has been so so so much to learn but its been so fun! I wish that I knew we were going to do this a year ago (so that I could have gotten better pricing and such), but I've spent hours scouring youtube and the internet and of course Cruise Critic for all the info - so so happy to have found this thread! Denali is definitely on my bucket list, but hopefully we will be able to come back to Alaska on another trip.

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess from May 11-18th from Vancouver to Whittier. Our anniversary isn't until June but the timing of this one worked better for our schedule. We are flying into Vancouver on a late night flight on May 9th so we will have a full-day and a half in Vancouver before setting sail. Working on the planning of touring a little bit of Vancouver. Then on the cruise we see Ketchikan (Totem Bight State Park & Ketchikan Highlights, Touring the town a little, and the Lumberjack Show), Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest), Skagway (Ultimate Gold Panning, Sled Dogs & Scenic Railway), and then we do scenic cruising in Glacier National Park and College Fjord. We booked a Whittier to Anchorage Full-Day Tour that takes us from the Whittier port right to our hotel (Hampton Inn) in Anchorage and we get to stop at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Mt. Alyeska with aerial tram & lunch, a Anchorage City highlights (Lake Hood, Ship creek, Ulu factory and earthquake park area) before being dropped at our hotel. Our flight is not until late on May 19th, so we will do a little more touring of Anchorage before flying home the next day.

Still a lot to plan including the packing which I tend to be an overpacker so I am going to try really hard to keep it to 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on bag and personal item for EACH of us. Our flights are booked, our excursions are booked, our cruise is all paid for....just need to narrow down a few things for before and after the cruise and the things I "need" for the trip! 

60 Days Before flying to Vancouver!!!!!

Eee, how exciting!! We'll be getting on Sapphire the day you get off 🙂 Sounds like you've made an impressive start considering you've only had a few weeks to plan! I can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Oh my goodness!! I was reviewing all of our tour reservations so I could make notes of what to bring, etc. and I realized I made one of our tour reservations for the WRONG DAY!!!! Yikes.

I reserved our Matanuska Glacier hike for one day early--we totally would have missed it! I have an email in to the company (MICA Guides) to switch it to the next day. I don't anticipate it being a problem since they are still showing availability, but man...that was scary, lol.

I also noticed while doing this that our Resurrection Bay kayak tour has an early bird promo code for $21pp off the price, so I emailed the tour guide (Adventure 60 North) and asked if we could use the promo code since we booked it WAY early. They emailed me back within a couple hours at the reduced price. So easy! It never hurts to ask. All the companies I have booked things with have been awesome to work with so far.

Only 61 days to go!!

• Like 4