Our 2024 Alaska Adventure--including planning!

no1racefan1

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

The information that Carnival provides to its shareholders, attached, is not particularly clear as to what constitutes the date of record for the application of shareholder benefits. The information is more clear with respect to attendance at the annual meeting, most recently held on April 21, 2023, and for which the date of record was February 21, 2023. Thus, if one sold all their shares after February 21, 2023, and before April 21, 2023, that person was still be entitled to attend the annual meeting. But there's nothing indicating what date applies for shareholder benefit. Is it the date of application for the benefit? Is it the date of sailing? Is it the entire duration of the sailing? A few people have opined on what they think should be the date of record, but those opinions do not control. It would helpful if there were some reliable indicator of the date of record for use of shareholder benefits.

ShareholderBenefit2023-2024.pdf 147.56 kB · 3 downloads

They used to only allow you to apply within 90 days of sailing. Though when they made you pay for excursions, they changed this. So it is intended for those who own insurance when you sail. Not sell a year earlier and still get the benefit. This is reaching pretty far IMO.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

I am sailing May 29 but doing an On My Own tour throughout the Kenai the week before (Big van for 7 people, paying extra for drop off in Whittier, BOOKED) .  I am planning to use the TourSaver book to book airfare and many excursions so I need to wait about a month before that comes out (All hotels are already booked).  I will have dinner reservations booked as we get closer.

Fri 5/24 It may take a full day to fly from Southern Ca to Anchorage with a layover in Seattle so we have nothing planned for travel day.

Sat 5/25  SLEEP IN  then trolley tour, pick up the van, grocery shopping, more sight seeing 

Sun 5/26  Drive and stop along Turnagain Arm, Stop for a hike @ Virgin Creek Waterfall, Visit Alaskan Wilderness Conservation Center, Raft float trip in Cooper Landing, Lodging in Soldotna .

Mon 5/27 Drive to Homer: Some go Halibut Fishing, some go sight seeing/ shopping, back to Soldotna for the night

Tues 5/28 Drive to Seward, Helicopter Glacier Dog Sledding (huge splurge, BOOKED), then Sightseeing in town, Stay at Harbor 360

Wed 5/29 Portage Glacier Cruise, thru the tunnel and onboard the Grand by 1pm.  Meet up with the 50 others who are part of my group and let the cruise fun begin... or take a nap.

Does anyone have any experiences in waiting for the Toursaver book? Can I still get reasonable airfare at that time? I'm hoping to see a drop in airfare as we reach that 6 month out mark. Will excursions book up by Thanksgiving?  We will probably buy 2 Toursaver books so we all get the airfare discount and hopefully can use a few BOGO coupons on excursions.  I'm a little nervous to wait but I'm juggling being an advanced planner vs saving money.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 11:18 AM, no1racefan1 said:

uneau--looks like most of the whale excursions are full or almost full! One of them had 1 spot left and 1 of them is already taking a waitlist. If you're reading this and want to see whales in Juneau next year, BOOK SOMETHING NOW! Maybe they will open up more spots...but I wouldn't count on that when planning! Like Skagway, most of the other smaller excursions in Juneau seem to be about half full. I haven't noticed any time changes for Juneau yet--everything still starting at 7am.

Thanks.  I checked for my June cruise and Harv and Marv have opened up 2024.  So I booked my date.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Awesome thread... will have to find the time to catch up.. 

However, I wanted to offer up this information we just learned.  Specially since I read a few pages back that some people were prone to sea sickness.  Cruise seasick patches...  my wife is prone to sea sickness.  We just returned from a Viking Ocean cruise to Greece and Croatia..  no sea sick issues with patch.. but, when we returned..  we just removed her last patch.. well..  she had sea sick issues on land after removing the patch..  We were told from a medical professional afterwards... to just leave the last patch on and let it slowly expend all of its medication.. which in affect, weens you off of the medication.  Note to file..   

Happy Cruising!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, no1racefan1 said:

Budget was significantly cheaper. HOWEVER--I read a lot of stories about last summer when Budget cancelled people's rental cars for a period of time because supposedly their pricing was wrong on their website. Those people ended up having to rebook at a much higher price last minute. So, I am choosing not to trust the cheap prices!!

Just now reading through your thread, and--Oh no! I booked Budget this summer for an AMAZING rate next May. Now I'm nervous.

18 minutes ago, allesonwonderland said:

Just now reading through your thread, and--Oh no! I booked Budget this summer for an AMAZING rate next May. Now I'm nervous.

I haven't seen any of the same kind of feedback about this year, so maybe they figured out the issues!

5 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I haven't seen any of the same kind of feedback about this year, so maybe they figured out the issues!

I'll hope for the best. Logged in to their site and my reservation is still there. 

Thanks for all the details you've shared! Our cruise is an anniversary trip as well!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Baloo said:

Hi everyone,

Awesome thread... will have to find the time to catch up.. 

However, I wanted to offer up this information we just learned.  Specially since I read a few pages back that some people were prone to sea sickness.  Cruise seasick patches...  my wife is prone to sea sickness.  We just returned from a Viking Ocean cruise to Greece and Croatia..  no sea sick issues with patch.. but, when we returned..  we just removed her last patch.. well..  she had sea sick issues on land after removing the patch..  We were told from a medical professional afterwards... to just leave the last patch on and let it slowly expend all of its medication.. which in affect, weens you off of the medication.  Note to file..   

Happy Cruising!!!

She may be suffering from mal de debarquement syndrome.  Seriously.    Look it up.  https://www.menieres.org.uk/information-and-support/symptoms-and-conditions/mal-de-debarquement.  I sometimes suffer from it after a cruise.

DON

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allesonwonderland said:

I am in the same boat.  I can only hope it does not happen to me next year.  I even waited for the price to increase a little because the first price I had was stupid low.  My rate is still very low, but closer to reasonable.  Though today it is a LOT higher for June.  So maybe my great price will still be too low.   I booked directly with them to avoid any third party issues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 10:05 PM, SirTomster said:

I am in the same boat.  I can only hope it does not happen to me next year.  I even waited for the price to increase a little because the first price I had was stupid low.  My rate is still very low, but closer to reasonable.  Though today it is a LOT higher for June.  So maybe my great price will still be too low.   I booked directly with them to avoid any third party issues.

Wondering if you (and others) are going to continue with this thread?  We're going in August, 2024, but found this thread very informative!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny4me2 said:

Wondering if you (and others) are going to continue with this thread?  We're going in August, 2024, but found this thread very informative!

I am the OP and will definitely be continuing this thread through my cruise in May. Probably not live, but maybe live-ish? Haha. Anyways, planning is kind of slow at the moment so I haven't had a lot of updates!

I usually check Princess.com for price changes and excursion changes a couple times a week. I check the airlines and hotels a couple times a week to see if point redemptions or costs have changed and if there's any room to save a little bit by rebooking those things. 

6 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

I am the OP and will definitely be continuing this thread through my cruise in May. Probably not live, but maybe live-ish? Haha. Anyways, planning is kind of slow at the moment so I haven't had a lot of updates!

I usually check Princess.com for price changes and excursion changes a couple times a week. I check the airlines and hotels a couple times a week to see if point redemptions or costs have changed and if there's any room to save a little bit by rebooking those things. 

Thanks!  We're following.  Great thread!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, no1racefan1 said:

Have you decided on an airline yet?  Wondering where you would be flying from?  We're coming from Florida so I'm still researching.

21 hours ago, ny4me2 said:

Have you decided on an airline yet?  Wondering where you would be flying from?  We're coming from Florida so I'm still researching.

We are flying United from WY to Denver, and then Alaska Air from Denver to Anchorage. And then United on the way home. United is the only airline that our home airport uses so it's our default as long as it's not too expensive. I have a United credit card so we get free checked bags.

I got an Alaska Airlines credit card and used the companion fare to book Denver to Anchorage. It also came with a lot of points as a sign up bonus, which I'm going to use for a future trip--but those points could also be used to book rental cars or hotel rooms.

4 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

We are flying United from WY to Denver, and then Alaska Air from Denver to Anchorage. And then United on the way home. United is the only airline that our home airport uses so it's our default as long as it's not too expensive. I have a United credit card so we get free checked bags.

I got an Alaska Airlines credit card and used the companion fare to book Denver to Anchorage. It also came with a lot of points as a sign up bonus, which I'm going to use for a future trip--but those points could also be used to book rental cars or hotel rooms.

I read some where in this thread where one of the Alaska Coupon Books offered 25% off airfare in 2023.  I'm waiting for the booklet to be available come November 1 to see if it is also available for 2024.  I might also look into the Alaska Airlines credit card.  It sounds like a good deal.  Thanks!

ps.  We also booked a "crabbing/boat trip"- Ketchikan- but from everything I'm reading regarding snow crabs now missing due to warmer waters; as well as no crab fishing for Alaska in 2022 or 2023 - so who knows for 2024 - I might have to rethink paying top $$ for that trip.  Sounds like we wouldn't be catching anything.  🙂

• Like 1

This year's Alaska Toursaver coupon book had the stipulation that it could not be used on a Friday, and one of the cities must be an Alaskan airport.  We are planning on flying into Anchorage Friday  for a Sunday start to a land tour, and would be flying home from Vancouver at the end of our cruise so it will not work for us if that is the same for 2024

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

This year's Alaska Toursaver coupon book had the stipulation that it could not be used on a Friday, and one of the cities must be an Alaskan airport.  We are planning on flying into Anchorage Friday  for a Sunday start to a land tour, and would be flying home from Vancouver at the end of our cruise so it will not work for us if that is the same for 2024

Their website says the 2024 coupon list will be updated by 10/24, but it doesn't appear to have been updated yet.... There was only one offer in the book that I was confident we would use (Major Marine) so I'm opting not to get the coupon book--unless there's something new and exciting for 2024!

21 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

Thanks for the extra information.  It will still work for us as we will be leaving from Anchorage, AK, along with "no Friday".

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Their website says the 2024 coupon list will be updated by 10/24, but it doesn't appear to have been updated yet.... There was only one offer in the book that I was confident we would use (Major Marine) so I'm opting not to get the coupon book--unless there's something new and exciting for 2024!

Thank you.  Makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 5:21 PM, no1racefan1 said:

After the feedback received I think we've decided to cut Denali out of the itinerary. I'm kind of sad about it but really felt like I'm trying to push it in there just to cross it off a list instead of actually enjoying the time there. Revised itinerary:

Planning a DIY land tour myself for July 2024. Have also decided to omit Denali for a lot of reasons. Decided to fly into Anchorage and use that as a base. Will be taking the train to Whittier a day or two prior to cruise southbound on the Royal Princess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Haven't had too much to report on lately, but I decided to check excursions this morning and to my surprise, the Hubbard Glacier small boat excursion has gone up in price from $299 to $359pp. That is a huge price increase for those of you planning to take this excursion!  It still shows at least 20 spots available. This is just another reason to book excursions as soon as you know what you want. 

Of course this made me curious so I started checking out some other excursions. The lumberjack show has gone up from $39.95 to $43.00. The fishing excursion I booked for DH has gone up from $369.95 to $419.95. Yikes! The interesting thing about that is it still shows 11 spots available, meaning DH is the only person booked.

Our other two excursions have not changed in price since we purchased.

3 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Hey everyone! Haven't had too much to report on lately, but I decided to check excursions this morning and to my surprise, the Hubbard Glacier small boat excursion has gone up in price from $299 to $359pp. That is a huge price increase for those of you planning to take this excursion!  It still shows at least 20 spots available. This is just another reason to book excursions as soon as you know what you want. 

Of course this made me curious so I started checking out some other excursions. The lumberjack show has gone up from $39.95 to $43.00. The fishing excursion I booked for DH has gone up from $369.95 to $419.95. Yikes! The interesting thing about that is it still shows 11 spots available, meaning DH is the only person booked.

Our other two excursions have not changed in price since we purchased.

It is called dynamic pricing. Once so much has filled up, they increase the cost. Similar to airline seats.