Understanding Speciality Dining and Main Dining

First time cruise and this may seem silly but I don't understand the speciality dining. I presume it is a cover charge and then a set menu to choose from and you can choose one item from the starter, main and dessert course. Would I be right?

Also what do you actually get in the main dining room. Do you get to choose from a menu or is it just a fixed menu? Is the menu the same all week or does it change daily and if it changes how do you know what the menu is any given day? 

What's so special about the speciality compared to the main dining? Is it better quality food or just quieter ambience?

Finally - and this sounds like I'm a greedy git - but if you were to say eat at a speciality restaurant can you still go and eat at the main dining room as well or can you only eat in one venue each evening? OK I am a greedy git, but my real reason for asking is that her indoors really wants to go to the sushi place and I really am not a fan of sushi. It is the only place available to book currently (my cruise is in May) so is the only sample menu I can access and it doesn't particularly inspire me personally. But equally I don't want her to miss out because its not my bag so will probably book it anyway. I just wondered what my options are if we go and I find it not to my liking.

I've copied the sample menu and it is a good example of my not understanding what from it you actually get? Although this may just be that I don't understand sushi or have ever really had much of it (hate fish and not a big fan of rice!!)

Thanks for your help in advance and any hints and tips to help me understand the dining side of things better, or links to typical menus, would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.08eb72d3eb0f77c5911c9db31b268ac6.png

Hi and welcome. 

First cruise don't think it will be your last. 

Firstly you will not go hungry, you have no restrictions on how many times you visit the main reasturants, you are correct with the speciality venues but you can ask for extras. 

You can also always order room service. 

We haven't cruised since covid but prior to that they always did a late buffet and prior to that they did 24hr food. 

They post a new menue every day and yes it is different and you can if you have food intolerances have a special menue to order from the day before. 

The speciality restaurants are special!! 🙄 Always book on changeover day from experience. 

Probably not a lot of help but just go with the flow and enjoy the cruising experience. 

Have a great cruise 😎 

The main dining room menu changes daily. There are 4 starters, mains and deserts to choose from and coffee/tea served after. Drinks are served by the glass at the table.

You can choose whether you prefer a table for yourselves or share a table which is quite sociable.  As well as the MDR there is an Italian restaurant (not charged) which we find very good. There is also the buffet which serves similar food choices and other food options depending on which ship you are on. The snack shack near the pool is always very popular during the day.

Personally we haven't tried the speciality restaurants but have heard good reviews of them.

Don't worry, you won't starve. Enjoy your first cruise!

You can eat in the main restaurant 1st followed by the speciality, rounded off with self service. That should put you on till the midnight buffet opens. Then room service until breakfast time. Takes some planning. From one foody to another, you will have a great cruise.