Travel Insurance Medical Coverage ?

Whimsy

I am comparing policies on travel insurance. How much medical insurance and medical evacuation coverage do you really need?

I am comparing 2 policies. One policy offers $50,000 medical and the other offers $500,000. The medical evacuation is the same, both included in the medical coverage.

We are both reasonably healthy. I am unsure of how much medical coverage we really need. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I am comparing policies on travel insurance. How much medical insurance and medical evacuation coverage do you really need?

I am comparing 2 policies. One policy offers $50,000 medical and the other offers $500,000. The medical evacuation is the same, both included in the medical coverage.

We are both reasonably healthy. I am unsure of how much medical coverage we really need. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Take the cheaper one, that is what I would do.

Thanks!

If you fell and broke a leg, which would be a MINOR problem, it could cost $20,000 upwards to evacuate you from the ship. Then medical care and getting you home. If the price for the 500,000 coverage is within your comfort zone, go with the higher limit. I sure wouldn't want to have to come up with an extra $10,000 if you used up your $50,000 limit for evacuation.

I ALWAYS buy the highest limit medical and evacuation I can. I could eat the cost of the cruise, but having to pay $1000's upfront for medical care in a foreign country could really present problems. JMHO

I would take the more expensive policy.

A few years ago when my husband had a heart attack while we were docked in Panama, I found out that my sister's hospital in Miami charges $10,000/hour from the time they leave the hospital until they return. Luckily he did not need to be evacuated, but ever since then I have made sure to buy a policy with at least a $100,000 medical evacuation benefit.

Thank you for all the replies!

I have been comparing policies on insuremytrip. I am looking at 2 policies that would be primary coverage since our health insurance is not valid outside the U.S.

Sounds like we better play it safe than sorry and go for the higher coverage.

Archived